Cheap PSU compared to Expensive one?

Hello there
Ive been using my power supply for about 3/4 years and wondering if its bad for my newly built system which is:
Intel i5 3570k @ 3.40GHz (however automatically overclocks to 3.80GHz)
Asus P8Z77 V LX
SSD
Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
5 Case fans (2 Via 3 pin, 3 via Molex)
Blu Ray Drive

Ive been using this system for about 6 months with the current power supply which is 550W however it was a cheap one (pic below)



I have just ordered a new PSU which im picking up tomorrow which is this http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/ocz-zs650w-uk-zs-series-atx-psu-650-w-11342059-pdt.html

Would i gain benefits over this power supply compared to my current one?

Thanks in advance
16 answers Last reply
More about cheap compared expensive
  1. thats gonna be fine.

    the difference between quality and low quality is. the guts of a bad quality ps and good one will look alot different and the quality of the components that make the ps.

    also buying a ps with quality will give good quality power and less chance of frying ur pc. versus a low quality ps.

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/181

    this article would explain it better.
  2. asm316 said:
    Hello there
    Ive been using my power supply for about 3/4 years and wondering if its bad for my newly built system which is:
    Intel i5 3570k @ 3.40GHz (however automatically overclocks to 3.80GHz)
    Asus P8Z77 V LX
    SSD
    Nvidia Geforce 560Ti
    5 Case fans (2 Via 3 pin, 3 via Molex)
    Blu Ray Drive

    Ive been using this system for about 6 months with the current power supply which is 550W however it was a cheap one (pic below)

    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/img20130214wa0001.jpg/

    I have just ordered a new PSU which im picking up tomorrow which is this http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/ocz-zs650w-uk-zs-series-atx-psu-650-w-11342059-pdt.html

    Would i gain benefits over this power supply compared to my current one?

    Thanks in advance



    Yes - you will certainly benefit from a better quality PSU, the one you uploaded
    looks to be very light on +12v rails for a 550w unit. Also, it may be a poor quality
    brand. I don't know that for sure as it isn't in the realhardtech psu database.

    But, if you're thinking of upgrading I would agree you should do so.
  3. So do you think its worth me buying that power supply or should i just stick with my current one?

    Also are all power supplys the same size (Aslong as theyre same type e.g. ATX)? As you can see in the picture i dont have much extra room height wise
  4. Sorry i forgot to mention that its £55 for that PSU which is quite abit considering the one i have atm works fine. Btw thanks for all the replies i appreciate it
  5. that ps is fine, not the best but not the worst. if u can return it. and get this instead ud be on the safer side imo.

    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-xfx-pro-series-core-edition-p1-650s-ukb9-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx-v2

    cheers
  6. Ah thats the problem is abit expensive..i don't want to spend tooo much, could you suggest something round £55 max?
  7. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Supply/dp/B009RMP44O/ref=dp_ob_title_ce how about this corsair? Im going to pick up that OCZ power supply tomorrow so i can still return it
  8. asm316 said:
    Ah thats the problem is abit expensive..i don't want to spend tooo much, could you suggest something round £55 max?


    In that price range:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

    A good solid unit
  9. Hmm only thing im unsure is of the 550W of that one..i know most Graphics cards recommend 500W but having 650W is nice to have extra...just last question to make my final decision, will that OCZ i first chose will be completely fine right?

    Ive just been browsing and find this which is only £5 extra and is modular... http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Power-Supply/dp/B001GLFD54/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp
  10. asm316 said:
    Hmm only thing im unsure is of the 550W of that one..i know most Graphics cards recommend 500W but having 650W is nice to have extra...just last question to make my final decision, will that OCZ i first chose will be completely fine right?

    Ive just been browsing and find this which is only £5 extra and is modular... http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ600MXSP-UK-ModXStream-Power-Supply/dp/B001GLFD54/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp


    Your choice - I prefer modular myself, but 550w is more than you need,
    and the XFX is Seasonic built.
  11. Seasonic built? Thats who actually makes the parts inside it right?
  12. asm316 said:
    Seasonic built? Thats who actually makes the parts inside it right?


    Right - Seasonic makes a lot of quality PSU,s for a lot
    of the recognizable brands.


    The OCZ (sirtec) has had good reviews, so I think you are
    fine no matter which you choose.
  13. yes thats seasonic who makes the innards of that xfx powersupply.

    550watts would suffice.
  14. I ended up getting the OCZ ModXStream..to my luck it worked for 20 mins then stopped..it even didnt work on my other computer. Ive now gone for the OCZ ZT 550W Series and hopefully that should be fine
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Intel i5 Components