System Crash, please help

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Ok, I am new to these forums, so i am posting is systems because that seemed to be the most logical place at the time.

When i play CS:GO, my system will crash/freeze ever hour or so, and i dont understand why. The crash/freeze causes my audio to turn off, and my screen turns into vertical strips of gray.

Comp specs:
FX 4100 @4.3 ghz
Radeon 6850 (saphire) @850/1110
AsRock 970 extreme 4
8 gb gskill ram @ 1600
500 gb hdd @ 7200
630W PSU silver

I have had this problem before in Tribes Ascend, and it happened once, I THINK, in GW2 (about 55% sure it did). I have done a lot of self reflection concerning why this is happening. Obviously, the first thing that i investigated was my OC's.

1) GPU- when i had my gpu OCed too high, it would freeze, but not in the same way. It would simply freeze but i would still have a still frame picture and sound. I have since then found a comfortable OC and havent had the same issue since. However, i would still get the vertical gray bars every once in a blue moon (this is all testing in T:A, i just got CS go today). So, naturally i turned to my CPU

2)When i first encountered this problem, i was at 4.2. So, i took it down to 3.9, and yet the problem persisted. So, i did a good bit of research on how to properly OC an fx line processor (basically disabling all throttling features etc etc, i do all my OCing with the multiplier and dont touch voltages, 4.3 was my goal). I was able to obtain 4.3 ghz and withstood the Prime95 stress test. My highest core temp was 56 for a brief moment, but nothing failed, there were no errors in the test whatso ever. I tested it for 1 hour (i have found that the over night ordeal really is useless considering stress like that is unrealistic and Prime95 is specifically designed to find errors in a matter or minutes).
I would still occasionally get the gray vertical bars of death, so i decided to turn off sound.

3) By limiting the sound in T:A and turning it off in GW2, i have not had any problems. However, in CS:GO i have the sound on and i get the crashes still. I dont want to turn the sound off because then i am nearly rendering myself useless in that game.

4) These crashes started occurring while i was using the 12.7-12.8 drivers. Could this be a driver issue? i have not really investigated this much.

Has anyone had a problem like mine with these gray vertical lines?

Solution

Now you need to establish new, stable OC ;)

Back in the days, I had my 8800GT OC'ed and I was sure it is stable, then in a new game it suddenly crashed. I don't remember what title it was, but I can't forget my surprise that OC that worked well for 6 months was too much for that game.

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012

Ok, i will do that right now, and test CS:GO to see if it persists, i will be back to inform you if the problem persists. I just dont understand why it would crash in a light game like CS:GO compared to a game like TA that would stress my gpu much more

Bejusek

Distinguished

Now you need to establish new, stable OC ;)

Back in the days, I had my 8800GT OC'ed and I was sure it is stable, then in a new game it suddenly crashed. I don't remember what title it was, but I can't forget my surprise that OC that worked well for 6 months was too much for that game.

Solution

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012

Technology is so weird, that's why i love it lol