Solved

System Crash, please help

Ok, I am new to these forums, so i am posting is systems because that seemed to be the most logical place at the time.

When i play CS:GO, my system will crash/freeze ever hour or so, and i dont understand why. The crash/freeze causes my audio to turn off, and my screen turns into vertical strips of gray.

Comp specs:
FX 4100 @4.3 ghz
Radeon 6850 (saphire) @850/1110
AsRock 970 extreme 4
8 gb gskill ram @ 1600
500 gb hdd @ 7200
630W PSU silver

I have had this problem before in Tribes Ascend, and it happened once, I THINK, in GW2 (about 55% sure it did). I have done a lot of self reflection concerning why this is happening. Obviously, the first thing that i investigated was my OC's.

1) GPU- when i had my gpu OCed too high, it would freeze, but not in the same way. It would simply freeze but i would still have a still frame picture and sound. I have since then found a comfortable OC and havent had the same issue since. However, i would still get the vertical gray bars every once in a blue moon (this is all testing in T:A, i just got CS go today). So, naturally i turned to my CPU

2)When i first encountered this problem, i was at 4.2. So, i took it down to 3.9, and yet the problem persisted. So, i did a good bit of research on how to properly OC an fx line processor (basically disabling all throttling features etc etc, i do all my OCing with the multiplier and dont touch voltages, 4.3 was my goal). I was able to obtain 4.3 ghz and withstood the Prime95 stress test. My highest core temp was 56 for a brief moment, but nothing failed, there were no errors in the test whatso ever. I tested it for 1 hour (i have found that the over night ordeal really is useless considering stress like that is unrealistic and Prime95 is specifically designed to find errors in a matter or minutes).
I would still occasionally get the gray vertical bars of death, so i decided to turn off sound.

3) By limiting the sound in T:A and turning it off in GW2, i have not had any problems. However, in CS:GO i have the sound on and i get the crashes still. I dont want to turn the sound off because then i am nearly rendering myself useless in that game.

4) These crashes started occurring while i was using the 12.7-12.8 drivers. Could this be a driver issue? i have not really investigated this much.

Has anyone had a problem like mine with these gray vertical lines?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system crash help
  1. It definitely is a GPU problem. Downclock it to stock speeds and see if the problem persists.
  2. What power supply are you using? Your description is not very detailed.
  3. Bejusek said:
    It definitely is a GPU problem. Downclock it to stock speeds and see if the problem persists.

Ok, i will do that right now, and test CS:GO to see if it persists, i will be back to inform you if the problem persists. I just dont understand why it would crash in a light game like CS:GO compared to a game like TA that would stress my gpu much more
  4. Deemo13 said:
    What power supply are you using? Your description is not very detailed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153152

Reviews are not reliable considering there are only two, i got it with a bundle buy, and i read profession review which had rather positive feedback for it
  5. Played for two hours at stock clocks and had no issues
  6. It might just be an overclock issue.

Your power supply is good enough to run the card; its 80 Plus.
  7. Best answer
    konawolv said:
    Played for two hours at stock clocks and had no issues

Now you need to establish new, stable OC ;)

Back in the days, I had my 8800GT OC'ed and I was sure it is stable, then in a new game it suddenly crashed. I don't remember what title it was, but I can't forget my surprise that OC that worked well for 6 months was too much for that game.
  8. Best answer selected by konawolv.
  9. Bejusek said:
    Now you need to establish new, stable OC ;)

Back in the days, I had my 8800GT OC'ed and I was sure it is stable, then in a new game it suddenly crashed. I don't remember what title it was, but I can't forget my surprise that OC that worked well for 6 months was too much for that game.

Technology is so weird, that's why i love it lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Crash Systems Product