Sata IDE Controller working but Win7 shows as unknown device and dont have drive

Jarod1231

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Hello,
I just purchased and built a new PC, Specs are ASUS M5A97R2.0, AMD FX 8320, XFX ONE video card, 8GBDDR3, WD Caviar Green Sata 1TB HD, Win7.

The problem I'm having is I have a WD 320gb IDE hard drive that I had purchased maybe a year and a half ago, and I want to use it for backup storage of my files, so I purchased a IDE to SATA adapter off Amazon for roughly $5 (http://amzn.com/B0096BEJDI) ... I hooked the adapter up and started my computer... the initial boot hung on the windows loading screen for about 7-8 minutes... but it finally went through... the hard drive shows up in my computer and I can access it and transfer files.. however in device manager the adapter is showing up as 'unrecognized device' and the adapter did not come with a disk, searching the internet yielded no result for a driver file either.... normally I would just ignore it considering the hardware is actually working, but unfortunately when I go to transfer files to the disk to create my backup, the initial transfer starts at around 20mb/sec... and then rapidly drops down to 1-2mb/sec ... the files are transferring to the harddrive.... they are just going ungodly slow and I can't help but feel that this has something to do with windows not recognizing the adapter? Any suggestions?