Sign in with
Your question

Advice needed for $800 New Gaming PC build

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2012 8:40:33 PM

Hi Guys,

Though I've been a follower for the forums for a long time but so far I 've been a reader only. :)  This is gonna be my first post to this forum. I really need your help now for this new build that I've decided upon so far.

Well it's been >4 yrs so I've decided to upgrade my PC by replacing all the core parts :bounce:  . I'll write in detail the changes I'll be doing following the template this forum has outlined for us. Let's get to work then. :) 

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: within 2 weeks preferably. At most 3.

Budget Range: 800 USD After Rebates; After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING > surfing the internet > watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, mobo, RAM, Primary Storage device, Cabinet - I guess I will also need to get a new cabinet as the new cpu cooler wont be fitting inside my existing ASUS Vento case (**I already have a 600W CM Power Supply which I'll be Re-using** and I will also re-use my Powercolor HD 6850 1GB DDR5 graphics card)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, microcenter.com, ncix.com, tigerdirect.com

Location: City, State/Region, Country -- The system will be assembled and used in India but the parts will be sourced from the US through a friend.

Parts Preferences: Following are the items that I have decided so far.

CPU - Intel Core i7 3820 (I am thinking of buying this from Microcenter, they are offering this for 229 USD currently as In-store pick up which IMO a pretty good deal :D  )

CPU Cooler - This area is totally confusing me. I can't decide between Air/Liquid coolers. The system wont be moved much. I can opt for any one that is better. Please suggest what should I go for. (the ambient temp here is around 32-33 C in the summer which is around 3/4th of the year and in winters temp rarely goes below 11 C).
For Air coolers I'm thinking among these - Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme, Deepcool Assassin
For Liquid cooling I'm thinking - Corsair H-80, Antec H2O 920

Mobo - Asus x79 Sabertooth, Gigabyte X79-UD5, GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI, ASRock X79 Extreme6B/7/9
(Any other better option always welcome)

RAM - Either G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
OR
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9
(better option always welcome)

Primary Storage Device - I am thinking of using SSD here. Options I thought of include --
Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
OR
Samsung MZ-7PC256B/WW 830 Series 2.5 256GB Solid State Drive (better option always welcome)
** I might opt for 128GB to save cost if needed

Cabinet - Here I have browsed so many models but couldn't decide anything. I need inputs from you guys!!! :) 

Overclocking: Yes - As with SB-E processors I am bound to go with a aftermarket cooler so I guess its better to overclock, else its a waste. But as the system will be used in hot and humid weather I think I will be doing 4.5 GHz at max. So, guys please take this number into account while suggesting cpu cooler.

SLI or Crossfire: No - I will use my existing single Powercolor HD 6850 1GB DDR5 graphics card only

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900, 19" monitor (I will keep this for the time being

Additional Comments: Nothing I can think of right now

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Its been close to 5 yrs :D  with my existing system and the CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+) is proving to be a real bottleneck now. :non: 

So I guess this is all .. Please ask me if you need any particular detail to give a more accurate suggestion. Thanks for your time guys, I really appreciate it. Thakns for your help in advance. :) 

Regards,
October 2, 2012 8:58:33 PM

There is absolutely no point in i7, particularly that one, unless you are doing high-end photgraphic work, or 3D design. Then best processor for gaming, and general purpose PC work is i5-3570K.
If you want a really good case, for that sort of build, is Corsair Carbide 500R, which gives you good ventilation options, and will take water cooling options, if that's the way you wish to go. In general, in a hot environment, it is best not to overclock too drastically, to keep cooling requirements as simple as possible.
October 2, 2012 9:13:50 PM

malbluff said:
There is absolutely no point in i7, particularly that one, unless you are doing high-end photgraphic work, or 3D design. Then best processor for gaming, and general purpose PC work is i5-3570K.
If you want a really good case, for that sort of build, is Corsair Carbide 500R, which gives you good ventilation options, and will take water cooling options, if that's the way you wish to go. In general, in a hot environment, it is best not to overclock too drastically, to keep cooling requirements as simple as possible.

I understand that for just gaming may be i5-3570K will be enough right now ... but you know the thing is that as you can see may be I won't be doing any more major upgrades to this machine in coming 3 yrs except for a better graphics card change later next year :)  ( I am going to skip nvidia 6XX and HD 7XXX series for now) .. so I want to make this build as future proof as possible... and also I want to keep my options open for future .. be it upgrades or be it the system usage .. from gaming to photoediting, videoediting (whatsoever little may it be) ..

That's why I want to go for this processor ..
Related resources
October 2, 2012 9:21:31 PM

what should be the best/optimum overclock rage considering the environment/weather as humid and hot as ours ? is 4.5 GHz too much?? should I go for 4 GHZ max?? or is it better to keep it at stock speed .. in that case may be I won't be needing much cooling .. a small air cooler like CM 212+ EVO might be more than enough .. right ?? Any suggestions .. need inputs here ..
October 2, 2012 9:27:52 PM

Going for the i7 to futureproof this build is a bad choice for 2 reasons.

1) There's no such thing as futureproofing. Just because you get a higher end component doesn't mean the build will last longer.

2) The i7 will last as long as the i5. Gaming doesn't use more than 2 cores at max. Developers code games for the least common denominator. The i7 doesn't happen to be the LCD. So, an i5 will provide the same framerates and performance as an i7. The i7 only performs faster in applications like video editing and CAD. It's a waste of money. Just get the i5.
October 2, 2012 9:31:17 PM

Also, the 3820 is a good processor, but you're going to pay at least a $100 more for an X79 motherboard. So, get an i5 and LGA 1155 motherboard. You are overspending on components that will not make a big difference. An i5, ASRock Extreme 4 Z77, Hyper 212 EVO/Noctua D14, and 8GB of RAM. will provide 90% of this build's performance.
October 2, 2012 9:51:46 PM

Quote:
Location: City, State/Region, Country -- The system will be assembled and used in India but the parts will be sourced from the US through a friend.

Flipkart too expensive? :heink: 

Also I don't know how it's possible to obtain any i7 on an $800 budget - go for an i5-3450 and Radeon 7850 or 7870.
October 2, 2012 10:03:03 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

Flipkart too expensive? :heink: 

Also I don't know how it's possible to obtain any i7 on an $800 budget - go for an i5-3450 and Radeon 7850 or 7870.

Well, Indian prices are still $20-50 more on average for each components .. generally speaking .. so overall that equates to a considerable amount !! And 800 usd is just enough for the parts I need .. I am not building from scratch .. you will be able to see that I am reusing many components if you read my post thoroughly ( I do not need a graphics card now .. I will use my 6850) :) 

I am buying the core components only. So they will be covered within that budget .. at most 850 usd ..
October 2, 2012 10:20:33 PM

@g-unit1111 : just for the sake of explaining the price difference if you take an example of graphics card .. say gtx 670 .. newegg has it at around 400 usd but flipkart has it for around $570!!!!!! so u can see how expensive it is to but all these components from india .. :cry: 
October 2, 2012 10:23:18 PM

fatboyslim said:
Well, Indian prices are still $20-50 more on average for each components .. generally speaking .. so overall that equates to a considerable amount !! And 800 usd is just enough for the parts I need .. I am not building from scratch .. you will be able to see that I am reusing many components if you read my post thoroughly ( I do not need a graphics card now .. I will use my 6850) :) 

I am buying the core components only. So they will be covered within that budget .. at most 850 usd ..

I think I'd skip overclocking then on that tight of a budget.

Quote:

@g-unit1111 : just for the sake of explaining the price difference if you take an example of graphics card .. say gtx 670 .. newegg has it at around 400 usd but flipkart has it for around $570!!!!!! so u can see how expensive it is to but all these components from india .. :cry: 

Ouch!!! No wonder I can't get sites like Flipkart to meet budgets... :lol: 

Maybe try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $839.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
October 2, 2012 10:23:38 PM

Yes, whilst you already have a GPU, and a power supply (of sorts, that's not the world's best), but you are going to struggle to do a lot of "fancy things", with $800 budget. Things like liquid coolers, are all very well, and they do have advantages in a hot climate, as they aid case cooling, but they're not cheap. Also, because the fans tend to be loud, you may need to change them, which is more expense.
I'm not sure that means you shouldn't overclock, or at least give yourself the scope to do so. Even without overclocking, it is probably wise to have some sort of aftermarket cooling, in India. Having an i5-3570K and basic cooler, and only overclock modestly, if at all, may be the best way to go. Then you always have the option, in the medium term, to buy a better cooler, so you can overclock more. That is possibly a sensible bit of "future proofing". It's going to be several years before you HAVE to do more than that, apart, perhaps, from getting a better GPU.
October 2, 2012 10:28:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that means you shouldn't overclock, or at least give yourself the scope to do so. Even without overclocking, it is probably wise to have some sort of aftermarket cooling, in India. Having an i5-3570K and basic cooler, and only overclock modestly, if at all, may be the best way to go. Then you always have the option, in the medium term, to buy a better cooler, so you can overclock more. That is possibly a sensible bit of "future proofing". It's going to be several years before you HAVE to do more than that, apart, perhaps, from getting a better GPU.

On a sub-$850 build you got to sacrifice somewhere. I didn't include an unlocked but I included a motherboard that allows the option to be open for later.
October 3, 2012 4:38:35 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I think I'd skip overclocking then on that tight of a budget.

Quote:

Ouch!!! No wonder I can't get sites like Flipkart to meet budgets... :lol: 

Maybe try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg) --Not needed for now
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg) --Not needed for now
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg) --Not needed for now
Total: $839.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

As I said I wasn't thinking of changing the items that I highlighted in the above config example .. so that makes me $328 surplus! ;)  So .. where can this amount be best spent?

Also I guess I can pick up one SSD for the same money as dedicated to HDD ( of course smaller in size but I'm okay with that as I already have one internal 160GB and 1TB external seagate drives..I can make do with them for now...
October 3, 2012 5:28:31 AM

Hi Guys,

This is the config I was thinking of while starting out ...

PCPartPicker Part List / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing ($27.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 EATX LGA2011 ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SSD ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Thermaltake VN700M1W2N ATX Full Tower ($119.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $847.92

What say guys? I don't need any other parts atm...
October 3, 2012 6:38:30 AM

fatboyslim said:
Hi Guys,

This is the config I was thinking of while starting out ...

PCPartPicker Part List / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing ($27.98 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 EATX LGA2011 ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SSD ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Thermaltake VN700M1W2N ATX Full Tower ($119.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $847.92

What say guys? I don't need any other parts atm...

X79 isn't really needed for a gaming rig. Go with Z77 instead.
October 3, 2012 9:49:23 AM

There is simply no benefit, in going for X79, for your needs. It is only of use for someone, who has a keen interest in, say, photography, or design.
There is some advantage to using an aftermarket cooler, like the 212Evo, with your i5, because it will help keep your processor reasonable cool, in a hot environment, without sounding like a jet engine.
Personally, I feel that, if you've got a Z77 mobo, and an aftermarket cooler, and you are not "struggling" with budget, it makes little sense to get a locked processor. Whilst not by a lot, the i5-3570K is a better chip, than the 3470, for only a small additional cost, and, at least, you then have the OPTION of overclocking. It's impossible to "future proof" a system, because someone will always bring out some new technology, that will make your system "feel" slow, by comparason. When you get to that stage, in maybe 2 years, you will have the ability, perhaps with the addition, of an even better cooler, to overclock, and at least feel that you have "caught up" some of that lost ground, and extend the usability of your system.
There will, inevitably, be advances in HARDWARE, over the next few years. There are less likely to be advances in software, at least not to the use of hyperthreading, for several years, because there simply is no financial incentive, for software producers, to do so.
October 3, 2012 6:30:53 PM

fatboyslim said:
As I said I wasn't thinking of changing the items that I highlighted in the above config example .. so that makes me $328 surplus! ;)  So .. where can this amount be best spent?

Video card!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (can't add enough ! :lol:  )
October 3, 2012 7:48:38 PM

malbluff said:
There is simply no benefit, in going for X79, for your needs. It is only of use for someone, who has a keen interest in, say, photography, or design.
There is some advantage to using an aftermarket cooler, like the 212Evo, with your i5, because it will help keep your processor reasonable cool, in a hot environment, without sounding like a jet engine.
Personally, I feel that, if you've got a Z77 mobo, and an aftermarket cooler, and you are not "struggling" with budget, it makes little sense to get a locked processor. Whilst not by a lot, the i5-3570K is a better chip, than the 3470, for only a small additional cost, and, at least, you then have the OPTION of overclocking. It's impossible to "future proof" a system, because someone will always bring out some new technology, that will make your system "feel" slow, by comparason. When you get to that stage, in maybe 2 years, you will have the ability, perhaps with the addition, of an even better cooler, to overclock, and at least feel that you have "caught up" some of that lost ground, and extend the usability of your system.
There will, inevitably, be advances in HARDWARE, over the next few years. There are less likely to be advances in software, at least not to the use of hyperthreading, for several years, because there simply is no financial incentive, for software producers, to do so.

So you guys are suggesting that I just replace the cpu/mobo combo with an i5-3570k/z77 board (GA-Z77x-UD5H sort of) .. and keep the other options as is?
!