Your question

Memory banks failure

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2001 7:17:23 PM

Hi !
I have MB-586IT-II motherboard (i430HX chipset) with 28 Mb of RAM in 4 SIMM banks (4+8+8+8).
--- SIMM 3
--- SIMM 4
--- SIMM 1
--- SIMM 2
Once I tried to add more memory and removed one module of 4 Mb. After restart BIOS counted only 16 Mb. I made many tests and only banks 1 and 3 turned out to be ok.
I upgraded my BIOS but that didn't help. I also received no answer in newsgroups.
pjj@inetia.pl

More about : memory banks failure

October 12, 2001 7:25:04 PM

Do you have your motherboard's manual? Some older motherboards have some strange configuration requirements where you must fill certain slots first, etc.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2001 7:52:12 PM

I have read mb's manual carefully. As for special requirements, there are none of them mentioned in the manual, which is not voluminous. I have also tried to fill slots in every possible configurations, to no avail. Changes in BIOS Setup have had the same results.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 15, 2001 9:30:39 PM

if you will pickup an upgrading or trouble shooting manuel they talk about how to fill the banks, meaning simms have to be identical in size and nano sec to preform to optimal preformace. Also the processor size/modle will tell you weather you can use fastpage,edo, or parity,ecc. also depends on what operating system you are using. Make sure that 1&2 and 3&4 are matched sets. Also if worth buying go to WWW.pricewatch.com and buy four match 16, but make sure that the board can handle 64mb.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labplant1 on 10/15/01 05:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2001 5:59:37 AM

1 item I found out about through t&e is that some strange mobos use different bank combinations dependant on the density of the SIMMs being used.
for example:
4 banks of single sided populating banks 0,1,2,and 3.
2 banks of doubled sided populating banks 1 and 3 (banks 0 and 2 were empty) VERY STRANGE to see, but that's how the friggin thing came from Dell's factory. (that was a 486)

For best results only try to install one pair of identical SIMMs at a time, starting with Banks 0 and 1, then trying other bank combinations like 0,2 ... 1,3 and 2,3.

<b>Go AMD or go home.</b>
October 21, 2001 12:56:03 AM

"4 banks of single sided populating banks 0,1,2,and 3.
2 banks of doubled sided populating banks 1 and 3 (banks 0 and 2 were empty) VERY STRANGE to see, but that's how the friggin thing came from Dell's factory. (that was a 486)"

Acutually that was quite the norm on the older boards.

For a remedy try to get your hands on 60ns EDO quite fast, or go for fastpage. The EDO is now a little cheaper than fastpage and newer. just make sure they are matched pairs 2x8, 2x16, etc.

Blame the newbies not the technology
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2001 6:09:37 PM

Hi !
I have one question of more general nature. Unfortunately, all the tips you have given me couldn't help - the two banks are still unusable. In my newbie's opinion, it must have been caused by a kind of 'damage' to mb's hardware or software, following the removal of one chip. If so, what could it have been ? I have never come across a problem on such a 'low level'. Is it possible for mb's electronics to corrupt ? Or maybe some mb's software (BIOS setup apart - it was upgraded later) ?
October 26, 2001 1:40:37 AM

usually, something like a static discharge can cause trouble to the ram bar. is just one of em is [-peep-] up (like a 8 mem ram) then the whole pair wont be usable, since sim usually work in dual. strange thing to the ones who know only the pentium. my 386 work fine with 16 meg of ram ;) 

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by buckman666 on 10/25/01 09:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2001 4:25:30 AM

SIMMS must be installed in MATCHED PAIRS! If it reads 28MB, it will cause errors. If it reads 24MB, it's because you properly put the 4MB SIMM before the 8MB SIMM so that both were treated as 4MB. You should consider ditching the 4MB and one 8MB and getting two 16MB DIMMS for only $5 each at various online venders.

Back to you Tom...
!