Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Too much voltage the problem with my computer?

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2013 5:35:00 PM

My computer is only able to boot up for half a minute before going to a black screen, I can get as far as changing the boot order to pop in a cd so I can test the computer components and find the villian, however, I can't get far enough to finish a test. So I decided to test the voltages on my PSU to find out if that was the culprit. Here are my results,

3.3 vdc testing at 3.9
5 vdc at 6.1
5 vsb at 6.2
12 vcd at 14
-12 vcd at -14.4

These voltages are with everything unplugged from the PSU and just the PSU with power. So in essence, my question is, could this be the problem causing my computer to go to black screen during boot? If not, is there anything I can do to see what could be causing the problem?

More about : voltage problem computer

a c 1204 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 6:08:01 PM

Some power supplies require that the PSU be connected to a load so that it can self-monitor and regulate the voltages.

What is the brand and model of your PSU?

What are you using to measure the voltages with?

What are your system specs?
m
l
February 15, 2013 6:43:46 PM

the PSU is a True 380s Antec, I am using at multimeter set at 20dcv, the specs I'm not too sure about because I haven't used the computer in awhile.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1204 ) Power supply
February 15, 2013 7:06:30 PM

rebbit said:
the PSU is a True 380s Antec, I am using at multimeter set at 20dcv, the specs I'm not too sure about because I haven't used the computer in awhile.

The Antec True Power True380S, that is included with the Sonata case, has a self-adjusting feedback mechanism built in (i.e. voltage feedback detection). When connected to a load that PSU should have a voltage regulation within 1% unless the PSU is defective.

When there's no load there's no feedback, hence no proper voltage regulation.
February 16, 2013 7:45:57 AM

The 5Vsb being 6.2V really worries me since it usually stays from 4.75-5.25V, even at no load, and I believe the Antec True 380s has a 5Vsb circuit known to have a failure mode where it briefly puts out high enough to damage motherboards.

Older power supply designs like the True 380s require a higher load than newer ones to regulate voltages correctly. A hard disk or fan may be enough, but with some older supplies a load of at least an amp on the +5V.
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:36:52 AM

Best answer selected by rebbit.
m
l
!