Sign in with
Your question

New build, Cheap gaming Entry build

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2012 8:54:18 PM

So my old computer is dieing. It just shuts off randomly and won't turn on for a while which means it is time for an upgrade! I will list my current build.

Motherboard - AsusTek M4A785-M
CPU - AMD Phenom II x2 565 (overclocked to 3.6)
Ram 4 gig 2 x 2 DDR2 Corsair
Video Card - Nvidia Geforce GTS 450
Power Supply - rosewill 600 watt
Hard drive - 230 Gig Seagate
Case - Not sure what my case is no name... it was like $40.00 or something

So I basically want to make a new build that is upgradeable. What I mean by that is I want to spend the least amount of money possible to get my foot in the door, And then be able to slowly upgrade to a mean gaming machine. I believe I can still use my hard drive for my next build so I don't need to buy 1 of those. I will let you all decide if my GTS 450 would be strong enough for the latest games on moderate settings. The CPU has served me dam well but I think I probably need to upgrade that to right?

So once again I want to get the cheapest gaming computer that I can upgrade as I go along the next year or two with using the old parts that I can use. the PSU is probably going dead and the mobo is outdated. I was looking into the AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core processor as a cheap entry level cpu. I read it has great overclocking capabilities and its really good for the price. I also read when windows 8 comes out it will be more fully supported and run great, but who knows right? Anyways thank you for the advice and I look forward to reading your replies!
October 2, 2012 9:35:24 PM

All of those are pretty old.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 is a good CPU for gaming, and only $99 at Newegg. It has an unlocked multiplier, so you can just buy a decent cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Evo for $30, then push it to 4ghz.

4GB of RAM is okay, just make sure it's at least 1600mhz, otherwise I would suggest you upgrade to 6GB. 4GB of 1600mhz RAM is only around $35 for Corsair Vengeance or G.Skill Ripjaws.

The GTS 450 will play games at low resolutions on low and medium graphical settings. Though a GTX 280 is only around $90 at Newegg, and you can OC it so it'll be able to run pretty much any game at 1280x720 maxed out, with just a few exceptions like Grand Theft Auto: IV.

You can buy a new AM3+ motherboard with support for 1600mhz RAM and a PCiE 2.0 x16 slot for around $60.

Your power supply will be okay, as long as you're sure it works and has enough amps to power your graphics card.

Your 230GB hard drive is fine for gaming.

Since prices are always dropping, you should buy your cheapest components first, then the most expensive.
m
l
October 2, 2012 11:37:55 PM

Ok so I am going to get the Phenom II x4 965 that is a great idea. I have decided on the video card which is going to be the Radeon HD 7750. And later on I will buy another and crossfire it. So now my question is what motherboard and PSU do I need to get? once again I do plan on overclocking and gaming but I also need to save money to keep my wife happy. =) So cheap is good! Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2012 1:32:57 AM

MotherBoard - Asus M4N98TD EVO ATX AM3 $143.00
CPU - Phenom II x4 965 $100.00
Video Card - 550 Ti 1 GB - $100.00 after $20.00 rebate
Ram - 4 x 2 GB Corsair $50.00
Power Supply - Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $100.00

$393.00

I can still use other parts from computer to transfer to mine. Is there any way I can make this cheaper without compromising quality and overclocking abilities? I do plan on SLI'ing those 550 Ti's when I get an extra $100.00 in the future. Any advice and tips would be appreciate! Thanks!
m
l
October 3, 2012 1:35:02 PM

Bump Anyone? Or do I need to repost again?
m
l
!