Sign in with
Your question

Running ESXi 5.0 on Intel Xeon ES Chips (QA91)?

Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2013 5:56:42 PM

Hi,

I usually run all my production ESXi machines using SLBWZ step code for 1366 chips. The engineering samples (such as step code Q3QS) does not run ESXi and errors with PSOD (fatal CPU error).

Furthermore, I am interested in improving our standard ESXi build with a 2-way socket 2011 Xeon setup. Do you know any of the engineering samples of these chips can run ESXi without errors?

I am looking at specifically, the chip described below.

INTEL XEON QA91 3.0GHZ 20MB 8-CORE PROCESSOR ES

Thanks in advance for your help.
a c 141 à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 15, 2013 8:54:01 PM

no one in a prod environment would be fool enough to use an engineering sample chip.. not in a prod env. No way. ES chips are just that. Sample to test with. The earlier they are in the chain the more flawed they are and people who cannot afford cpu errors simple do not risk it.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:51:30 PM

It is a fair point, but I work for a small startup and we try to cut costs where we can :-)

In most cases, using Used or ES chips are absolutely fine, no need to spend top dollar.
m
l
May 10, 2013 8:37:36 PM

popatim said:
no one in a prod environment would be fool enough to use an engineering sample chip.. not in a prod env. No way. ES chips are just that. Sample to test with. The earlier they are in the chain the more flawed they are and people who cannot afford cpu errors simple do not risk it.

Speak for yourself man. I run a full 42u cab stacked with ES CPUs.. E7-8860/70 ES, 256 - 512GB of ram.. They run stable, fast and they're a fraction of the price..
m
l
!