construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I'm planning a build for Intensive Video Editing.

CPU = Intel i7 3770K
CPU Cooler = Corsair H100i
MoBo = GA-Z77X-UD5H
Graphics Card = GTX 670 (I already have this in my current computer but I'm going to take it out)
RAM = 32GB or 16GB Corsair Vengeace 2133MHz or 1600MHZ
SSDs = Intel 520 Series 240GB (BOOTDRIVE) and Intel 520 Series 120GB (Export Drive and commonly used files etc)
HDDs = WD Black 1TB x2
PSU = Corsair CX 750W
Case = Bit Fenix Ghost
OS = Win 8

Should I get 32GB or 16GB of RAM?
Should It get 2133Hz or 1600MHZ?
Will I notice a major difference?
Will it speed up m work flow?

Thank For any Advice :) It's all greatly appreciated.

PS-Matt

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Just using faster RAM won't void any warranties, but it is generally a good idea to use RAM that is natively supported by the CPU (in your case 1600MHz). As you get higher in frequency, you start running a higher risk of the RAM failing at some point. Generally the only reason to get higher frequency RAM is if you are 1) Overclocking or 2) Using CPU integrated graphics.

If you want more info, here are a couple articles that include RAM speed's impact on gaming performance using a discrete video card and CPU integrated graphics:

Breaking the Hype of High Frequency RAM
Optimizing AMD Trinity for Budget Gaming

Also, you likely don't need 32GB of RAM. 16GB is plenty and you won't get better performance by having tons of extra RAM. If you will be doing similar things with this system that you are doing with your current system, just load up task manager and check out your memory usage under the Performance tab. If you never use more than like 8GB of RAM, then purchasing 32GB is largely a waste unless you think that you will need it in the future and are future-proofing.

Intensive Video Editing has nothing to do with gaming and will never have to much ram.

construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Does it change your opinion by that fact that it's for video editing or do you still think 16GB will be fine?

legodude

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I would reccomend a Work Station for this type of procces not a Gameing PC. If you got a Work Station I would reccomend Fully Buffered ECC ram(doesn't really matter how fast since it's awesome ram) a lga 1155 quad core xeon(one of the 3.6GHZ ones so you can still play games on it) and a cheap Quadro Card for the advanced features to perfect video editing. And to answer your question the faster ram should make a HUGE difference even if you don't notice, the OS system will.

construction65

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Wont that be really expensive???
Are their are specific parts you suggest???
Btw i already have a GTX 670 which I want to use in the system.