Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My next gaming rig - What do you think?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 2, 2012 9:38:39 PM

So this basically what my next gaming rig is gonna look like:

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M

CPU: Intel i7 core 3770K - Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS 9900 MAX

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX660 Ti DirectCU II OC

RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 16GB (2 x 8GB)

HDD: WD Velicoraptor 600GB

SSD: Force Series GT 120GB

Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper

Its designed with upgrading in mind, maybe SLI'ing GTX660 Ti down the road, and upgrade to 32GB RAM.

Now the case and the RAM I'm not too sure of. The case is simply the one with the most features and cheapest price tag I could find. I'm thinking I might go with Dominator Platinum, same size. Also I have heard that the motherboard is a wierd size which might mean mounting could be a problem, so if anyone has a better suggestion which isn't much more expensive, please do give me some recommendations :) 

Other then that. What do you think?

More about : gaming rig

a c 271 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 9:42:02 PM

No reason to purchase Dominator RAM - it's overrated and incredibly expensive. Put that money in the GPU. It's not necessary to have fancy RAM.

No reason to purchase a WD Velociraptor or the Corsair Force Series - the Corsair Neutron series would be better as it uses Toshiba's Toggle controller but I'd go for a Marvell drive like the usual Crucial / Plextor / Samsung, etc. And on gaming builds the 3770K won't be fully utilized. What's your budget?
October 2, 2012 9:50:38 PM

The dominator RAM is pretty much the cheapest option I can find that isn't total ghetto style stuff, and 149,84 USD isn't much to be honest (considering I pay VAT as I'm in Europe)

I need it for editing and rendering, as well gaming player recording aswell, hence the SSD and the bulky CPU. The WD Velociraptor is coming from my current rig, where its just being used to record to, which won't need to do anymore, so I'll use it as my new rigs primary drive.

As for what you are talking about with the Neutron series I have no idea, so you'll have to elaborate.
Related resources
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 9:55:29 PM

Quote:
The dominator RAM is pretty much the cheapest option I can find that isn't total ghetto style stuff, and 149,84 USD isn't much to be honest (considering I pay VAT as I'm in Europe)


Yeah that's incredibly expensive for RAM. You do not need to pay $149 for RAM when you can get RAM for $49 that does the same job. You can invest the difference in upgrading your GPU to a Radeon 7950 or GTX 670.

Quote:
I need it for editing and rendering, as well gaming player recording aswell, hence the SSD and the bulky CPU. The WD Velociraptor is coming from my current rig, where its just being used to record to, which won't need to do anymore, so I'll use it as my new rigs primary drive.


Yeah you can definitely reuse as many parts as you can that's fine.

Quote:
As for what you are talking about with the Neutron series I have no idea, so you'll have to elaborate.


The Corsair Neutron is their new line of SSDs, and they use a new controller that's not the same Sandforce crap that's been recycled 1000x over. They use the Link-A-Media (LAMD) controller - it's faster than Marvell and Indilinx but far more stable than Sandforce. If you post the store you're buying from I can suggest parts. If you don't know of any check the link in my signature.

http://www.corsair.com/us/ssd/neutron-series-ssd/neutro...
October 2, 2012 10:16:00 PM

*snip* :p 
October 2, 2012 10:16:43 PM

g-unit1111 said:

Yeah that's incredibly expensive for RAM. You do not need to pay $149 for RAM when you can get RAM for $49 that does the same job. You can invest the difference in upgrading your GPU to a Radeon 7950 or GTX 670.


Well give some good recommendation for the RAM then. I only have experience with the Corsair Dominator series. I need it to be reliable and OC'able.

Alright I'll look into the Neutron series, and read up on it a bit, thanks for bring that to my attension

As for GPU, my research says that the 660 TI is pretty doing the same job as the 670 will, but much cheaper.
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 10:32:44 PM

Quote:
Well give some good recommendation for the RAM then. I only have experience with the Corsair Dominator series. I need it to be reliable and OC'able.


I like G.Skill Ares or Mushkin Blackline / Redline, but again if you post the store you're going to be buying from that would help to suggest parts. You really don't need RAM that expensive.

Quote:
Alright I'll look into the Neutron series, and read up on it a bit, thanks for bring that to my attension


Yeah I always try to recommend the newest hardware available. The Force 3 is about two generations old now. The Neutron is the latest and greatest. I just got a Vertex 4 for my work PC (Newegg had a deal that was too good to pass up) - I'm a bit leery about it but hopefully the installation goes smoothly.

Quote:
As for GPU, my research says that the 660 TI is pretty doing the same job as the 670 will, but much cheaper.


The 670 and 680 use the same GK109 CPU which is why their performance is about the same. The 660TI uses either the GK108 or GK107 I can't remember which one. It's not the high end but not the low end either.
a b 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 10:43:02 PM

Sokar408 said:
So this basically what my next gaming rig is gonna look like:

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M

CPU: Intel i7 core 3770K - Cooling: ZALMAN CNPS 9900 MAX

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX660 Ti DirectCU II OC

RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 16GB (2 x 8GB)

HDD: WD Velicoraptor 600GB

SSD: Force Series GT 120GB

Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper

Its designed with upgrading in mind, maybe SLI'ing GTX660 Ti down the road, and upgrade to 32GB RAM.

Now the case and the RAM I'm not too sure of. The case is simply the one with the most features and cheapest price tag I could find. I'm thinking I might go with Dominator Platinum, same size. Also I have heard that the motherboard is a wierd size which might mean mounting could be a problem, so if anyone has a better suggestion which isn't much more expensive, please do give me some recommendations :) 

Other then that. What do you think?

That build is a total hose job and then some. 16GB of RAM for a gaming build? Unless you plan on doing professional Auto Cad I drop down to 8GB of RAM. It's a gaming build, not an engineering build. Then change up to a 3570K, and get a card like a GTX 670 or AMD 7950.
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 10:53:50 PM

Why_Me said:
That build is a total hose job and then some. 16GB of RAM for a gaming build? Unless you plan on doing professional Auto Cad I drop down to 8GB of RAM. It's a gaming build, not an engineering build. Then change up to a 3570K, and get a real gaming card like a GTX 670 and what's with the Raptor? Nobody buys Raptors since the invention of SSD's. Size up to something like a 240GB - 256GB SSD and call it good.


I definitely agree about the RAM and the Corsair Dominator is ridiculously priced but does have a few cool features that justify its' price: http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/domi...

And then the Velociraptor - even though I don't like those either - is being ported over from OP's existing build.
October 2, 2012 11:06:14 PM

Sokar408 said:
The dominator RAM is pretty much the cheapest option I can find that isn't total ghetto style stuff, and 149,84 USD isn't much to be honest (considering I pay VAT as I'm in Europe)


$149.84 is an insane amount of money to be spending on RAM - especially the amount you are getting (only 16GB!) I bought a kit of G.Skill Ripjaws X (4X4GB) for $75. I highly doubt that the Corsair RAM will provide any discernible difference in performance than the one I have.

Sokar408 said:
I need it for editing and rendering, as well gaming player recording aswell, hence the SSD and the bulky CPU. The WD Velociraptor is coming from my current rig, where its just being used to record to, which won't need to do anymore, so I'll use it as my new rigs primary drive.


Wait a minute, you're buying an SSD and not using it as your primary drive?! I don't see the logic in that. Typo perhaps?
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 11:24:37 PM

evilqueens said:
$149.84 is an insane amount of money to be spending on RAM - especially the amount you are getting (only 16GB!) I bought a kit of G.Skill Ripjaws X (4X4GB) for $75. I highly doubt that the Corsair RAM will provide any discernible difference in performance than the one I have.



Wait a minute, you're buying an SSD and not using it as your primary drive?! I don't see the logic in that. Typo perhaps?


I've heard of people using multiple SSDs for video editing and I can't remember how the second drive functions but it's used as either a RAM cache or a file swap.
a b 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 11:28:20 PM

Sokar408 said:
Well give some good recommendation for the RAM then. I only have experience with the Corsair Dominator series. I need it to be reliable and OC'able.

Alright I'll look into the Neutron series, and read up on it a bit, thanks for bring that to my attension

As for GPU, my research says that the 660 TI is pretty doing the same job as the 670 will, but much cheaper.

The 660 ti has a 192 bit side bus versus 256 for the 670 and it shows when you use high detail in games. Can you link us please to the site you will be purchasing from. Google Chrome translator works fine for any language.
October 2, 2012 11:40:41 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I've heard of people using multiple SSDs for video editing and I can't remember how the second drive functions but it's used as either a RAM cache or a file swap.


Right, but there's no reason why the OP can't use the drive for the OS as well as video editing.
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 11:53:17 PM

evilqueens said:
Right, but there's no reason why the OP can't use the drive for the OS as well as video editing.


The way I've seen it work is the first drive is a 128 - 256GB model that's for OS and programs. The second is for the RAM cache / file swap and that's around 30 - 40GB for the drive. And then the third is a 2 - 3TB mechanical HD.

I'm not entirely sure how the second drive really functions though.
October 3, 2012 4:27:08 AM

Alright a lot of posts here. (had to sleep)

The RAM and the SSD is for aimed at gameplay recording, and when you do that you need that write speed to be outragously fast so it won't bottleneck gaming performance, and that is why I want the SSD for. I don't need my windows to load in 5 secs, I'm just fine with 15. Same goes for RAM, the more the better considering my needs.

Oh and the store I'm using is Amazon.co.uk and a "local" site, that gathers all information on hardware stores in denmarks, and makes their prices on each hardware piece visible for comparison. Depending on where its cheapest, that is where I'm getting it.
a b 4 Gaming
October 3, 2012 5:20:35 AM

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=641124 299,-
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=660227 1.589,-
Intel® Core i5-3570K Processor

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=756301 3.199,-
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=758734 2.295,-
MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=752104 739,-
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB 2.5" OEM

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=760108 875,-
XFX ProSeries XXX Edition 750W PSU

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=657097 275,-
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Køler

http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=755467 799,-
Cooler Master HAF XM Midi Tower Sort
October 3, 2012 11:26:55 AM

I'll definitely look into the RAM, and the SSD, but like I said I expect to need the i7's performance for rendering and editing.

As for the case, I have read several places that the mobo I intend on using won't attache correctly in a mid-tower.
October 3, 2012 11:35:52 AM

Also, any reason you picked that over Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8 GB?
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 3, 2012 5:02:03 PM

Sokar408 said:
Also, any reason you picked that over Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8 GB?


Most people find the tall heat sinks on the Vengeance incredibly difficult to work with - especially if you plan on using any non-Intel aftermarket cooling solution. They also have been known to obstruct system air flow.
October 5, 2012 6:22:25 AM

Sokar408 said:
Alright a lot of posts here. (had to sleep)

The RAM and the SSD is for aimed at gameplay recording, and when you do that you need that write speed to be outragously fast so it won't bottleneck gaming performance, and that is why I want the SSD for. I don't need my windows to load in 5 secs, I'm just fine with 15. Same goes for RAM, the more the better considering my needs.

Oh and the store I'm using is Amazon.co.uk and a "local" site, that gathers all information on hardware stores in denmarks, and makes their prices on each hardware piece visible for comparison. Depending on where its cheapest, that is where I'm getting it.


But I don't understand, if your OS is not going to be on the SSD, where will you be playing your games from? Obviously, you want your games running on the SSD as well as the gameplay recording - which is only possible if the SSD is the boot device.
a c 271 4 Gaming
October 5, 2012 6:35:42 AM

Sokar408 said:
Alright a lot of posts here. (had to sleep)

The RAM and the SSD is for aimed at gameplay recording, and when you do that you need that write speed to be outragously fast so it won't bottleneck gaming performance, and that is why I want the SSD for. I don't need my windows to load in 5 secs, I'm just fine with 15. Same goes for RAM, the more the better considering my needs.

Oh and the store I'm using is Amazon.co.uk and a "local" site, that gathers all information on hardware stores in denmarks, and makes their prices on each hardware piece visible for comparison. Depending on where its cheapest, that is where I'm getting it.


Check the link in my signature - I've found a few stores for Denmark that seem like they have good selections and prices.
!