odd circular blotches on some pic: Kodak CX 6445

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 3, 2005 2:04:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

On a otherwise find camera for quality build and output I have noticed an
occasional but pesky artifact where some pics have circular white blotches
on the photo.

They appear randomly and inconsistent with regard to any one area of photo
or shooting occasion.

Any help on what this is and how to minimize or eliminate would be
appreciated,

Thanx
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:11:56 PM

XP User wrote:
> On a otherwise find camera for quality build and output I have
> noticed an occasional but pesky artifact where some pics have
> circular white blotches on the photo.
>
> They appear randomly and inconsistent with regard to any one area of
> photo or shooting occasion.
>
> Any help on what this is and how to minimize or eliminate would be
> appreciated,
>
> Thanx

When using flash? In a dusty environment?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:15:13 PM

"XP User" <Nospam@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:p KadnQ2NwbJ2P5zfRVn-oA@comcast.com...
> On a otherwise find camera for quality build and output I have noticed
an
> occasional but pesky artifact where some pics have circular white
blotches
> on the photo.
>
> They appear randomly and inconsistent with regard to any one area of
photo
> or shooting occasion.
>
> Any help on what this is and how to minimize or eliminate would be
> appreciated,

I see them with my Canon G5 occasionally, too. I guess it has something
to do with lighting, especially the angle in which light from the sun or
other sources comes into the lens.

Kind regards

robert
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:28:43 PM

"Robert Klemme" <bob.news@gmx.net> schrieb:

>I see them with my Canon G5 occasionally, too. I guess it has something
>to do with lighting, especially the angle in which light from the sun or
>other sources comes into the lens.
>
>Kind regards
>
> robert

Same here with a Lumix FZ20, Casio QV, Olympus 750 SZ
.....you were guessing correctly. It is a matter of an extra
artificial light falling in when one uses the flash.

kindly
nick

http://www.intergrafis.de/pass/index.htm
February 5, 2005 6:59:41 AM

"Nicholas Adam" <info@intergrafis.de> wrote in message news:3s540198ggetjik3akn98iqaegsmfkp0kf@4ax.com...
> "Robert Klemme" <bob.news@gmx.net> schrieb:
>

> >I see them with my Canon G5 occasionally, too. I guess it has something
> >to do with lighting, especially the angle in which light from the sun or
> >other sources comes into the lens.
> >
> >Kind regards
> >
> > robert
>

> Same here with a Lumix FZ20, Casio QV, Olympus 750 SZ
> .....you were guessing correctly. It is a matter of an extra
> artificial light falling in when one uses the flash.

You mean something like this - http://ken.smugmug.com/photos/15303428-M.jpg ?
Classic lens flare from my FZ20 and a WA lens attachement.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:49:18 PM

"Ken" <ken@ken.ken> schrieb:

>"Nicholas Adam" <info@intergrafis.de> wrote in message news:3s540198ggetjik3akn98iqaegsmfkp0kf@4ax.com...
>> "Robert Klemme" <bob.news@gmx.net> schrieb:
>>

>> >I see them with my Canon G5 occasionally, too. I guess it has something
>> >to do with lighting, especially the angle in which light from the sun or
>> >other sources comes into the lens.
>> >
>> >Kind regards
>> >
>> > robert
>>

>> Same here with a Lumix FZ20, Casio QV, Olympus 750 SZ
>> .....you were guessing correctly. It is a matter of an extra
>> artificial light falling in when one uses the flash.
>
>You mean something like this - http://ken.smugmug.com/photos/15303428-M.jpg ?
>Classic lens flare from my FZ20 and a WA lens attachement.

Nope.
What I was talking about occures indoors. If one uses a flash while
there are one or more other artificial light.

Nick
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:49:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

Nicholas Adam wrote:
[]
> What I was talking about occures indoors. If one uses a flash while
> there are one or more other artificial light.
>
> Nick

I already told you what those were - dust particles in the atmosphere
which are close to the lens and flash. Being close to the flash, they are
brightly illuminated. Being close to the lens, they are out of focus (and
hence round), but not as much out of focus as they would be with a
larger-format SLR camera. Hence these particles are more visible with
point-and-shoot cameras.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:48:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.point+shoot (More info?)

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:11:35 -0000, in rec.photo.digital.point+shoot "David
J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>brightly illuminated. Being close to the lens, they are out of focus (and
>hence round), but not as much out of focus as they would be with a
>larger-format SLR camera. Hence these particles are more visible with
>point-and-shoot cameras.

Just an educational point for the OP. This is because P&S cameras have a
much greater depth of field (DOF) than dSLRs due to their very short actual
focal lengths.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at