How to configure Master/Slave??

G

Hi,

I just bought a IBM GXP60 60GB(ATA100, 7200RPM) Harddrive. In my old system I was running a Quantum Fireball Plus LM 5GB (ATA66, 7200RPM).

Now I've installed both drives, set the jumpers to Cable select on both drives and put the end of the cable to my new IBM and the middle of the cable to my Quantum.

The system is booting with the IBM as primary master and the quantum as secondary master BUT......... the OS is loading from my Quantum drive (which is assigned the letter C:).

How do I make my OS load from the primary IBM drive (which I've also installed Windows 98 2nd edtion on)?

Thanks in advance

FatBurger

Illustrious
Go into BIOS, and set it as the default boot device.

You have an OS already installed, right?

Is this W2k? Sometimes it refuses to follow what you want. I had to wipe both OSes once, to get it to work correctly.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

You are using Cable Select? I personnaly would not! Maybe that's the problem. Have you tried setting the jumper on the drive?

Normally, you identified the drive as a master or as a slave using jumper setting.

You're saying your booting from the Secondary Master drive? Do you have an active primary partition on the Maxtor?

You could transfer your bootable partition on the Maxtor drive.

Good luck!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
cable select??? EVIL!
out out damned satan spawn!

dont use cable select.
if both drives are on seperate IDE channels,
set both to master, then make sure the bios is set up so that it boots off your primary master drive before looking to the secondary master.

that should do it.

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

TRENDING THREADS