Cannot set JPEG img files as Wallpaper

Hi there!
I'm encountering this strange problem... I can't set my own JPEG img files
as wallpaper, gotta convert them into BMP before!!!! They're not even listed
inside the dialog box...
That's boring!!! Only JPEG files installed by default with Windows can be
set, no way for any other.

What can I do??
THX

P.S.: OS is Windows XP Home Ed. SP2

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:00:02 -0700 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, __XXX__ favored us with...
> . I can't set my own JPEG img files
> as wallpaper, gotta convert them into BMP before!!!!

Correct.

Easiest way I know is to view them in your favorite Web browser and
use its menu setting to set them as wallpaper. In MSIE, right click
an d"Set as Background."

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
--Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

Start Regedit.exe and navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Policies \ Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft\ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Policies \ Explorer

In the right-pane, delete the NoActiveDesktop value if exists.

Navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Policies \ ActiveDesktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
Policies \ ActiveDesktop

In the right-pane, delete NoHTMLWallPaper if exists.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"__XXX__" <XXX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there!
> I'm encountering this strange problem... I can't set my own JPEG img files
> as wallpaper, gotta convert them into BMP before!!!! They're not even
> listed
> inside the dialog box...
> That's boring!!! Only JPEG files installed by default with Windows can be
> set, no way for any other.
>
> What can I do??
> THX
>
> P.S.: OS is Windows XP Home Ed. SP2

I did it!
Now evrything works fine!

THX so musch!
bye

You're welcome.

--

>I did it!
> Now evrything works fine!
>
> THX so musch!
> bye

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Does this let the JPEG load into memory, or does XP convert the JPEG
to BMP in order to display the wallpaper?

I posed the same question on another group just a few days ago, and
was told that the wallpaper is always loaded as BMP. My favorite
wallpaper is about 200 kb in JPEG, but over 1 MG in BMP. Of course,
I'd prefer to use the smaller size.

Can you explain this to help me?

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net

In the last exciting episode on Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:13:36 +0530,
"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Start Regedit.exe and navigate to the following keys:
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>Policies \ Explorer
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft\ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>Policies \ Explorer
>
>In the right-pane, delete the NoActiveDesktop value if exists.
>
>Navigate to the following keys:
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>Policies \ ActiveDesktop
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
>Policies \ ActiveDesktop
>
>In the right-pane, delete NoHTMLWallPaper if exists.

This shows the JPG images in the Background tab. Anyway, they are converted
to BMP and then displayed as the desktop background.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User