Cannot set JPEG img files as Wallpaper

Hi there!
I'm encountering this strange problem... I can't set my own JPEG img files
as wallpaper, gotta convert them into BMP before!!!! They're not even listed
inside the dialog box...
That's boring!!! Only JPEG files installed by default with Windows can be
set, no way for any other.

What can I do??
THX

P.S.: OS is Windows XP Home Ed. SP2
6 answers Last reply
More about cannot jpeg files wallpaper

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:00:02 -0700 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize, __XXX__ favored us with...
    > . I can't set my own JPEG img files
    > as wallpaper, gotta convert them into BMP before!!!!

    Correct.

    Easiest way I know is to view them in your favorite Web browser and
    use its menu setting to set them as wallpaper. In MSIE, right click
    an d"Set as Background."

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "To put it bluntly but fairly, anyone today who doubts that the
    variety of life on this planet was produced by a process of
    evolution is simply ignorant -- inexcusably ignorant, in a world
    where three out of four people have learned to read and write."
    --Daniel Dennett, /Darwin's Dangerous Idea/ (1995), page 46

    Start Regedit.exe and navigate to the following keys:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    Policies \ Explorer

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft\ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    Policies \ Explorer

    In the right-pane, delete the NoActiveDesktop value if exists.

    Navigate to the following keys:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    Policies \ ActiveDesktop

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    Policies \ ActiveDesktop

    In the right-pane, delete NoHTMLWallPaper if exists.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "__XXX__" <XXX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there!
    > I'm encountering this strange problem... I can't set my own JPEG img files
    > as wallpaper, gotta convert them into BMP before!!!! They're not even
    > listed
    > inside the dialog box...
    > That's boring!!! Only JPEG files installed by default with Windows can be
    > set, no way for any other.
    >
    > What can I do??
    > THX
    >
    > P.S.: OS is Windows XP Home Ed. SP2

    I did it!
    Now evrything works fine!

    THX so musch!
    bye

    You're welcome.

    --

    >I did it!
    > Now evrything works fine!
    >
    > THX so musch!
    > bye

    Does this let the JPEG load into memory, or does XP convert the JPEG
    to BMP in order to display the wallpaper?

    I posed the same question on another group just a few days ago, and
    was told that the wallpaper is always loaded as BMP. My favorite
    wallpaper is about 200 kb in JPEG, but over 1 MG in BMP. Of course,
    I'd prefer to use the smaller size.

    Can you explain this to help me?

    <*((((><{
    Fishy@Ocean.Net

    In the last exciting episode on Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:13:36 +0530,
    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Start Regedit.exe and navigate to the following keys:
    >
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >Policies \ Explorer
    >
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft\ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >Policies \ Explorer
    >
    >In the right-pane, delete the NoActiveDesktop value if exists.
    >
    >Navigate to the following keys:
    >
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >Policies \ ActiveDesktop
    >
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >Policies \ ActiveDesktop
    >
    >In the right-pane, delete NoHTMLWallPaper if exists.

    This shows the JPG images in the Background tab. Anyway, they are converted
    to BMP and then displayed as the desktop background.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "<*(((><{" <Fishy@Ocean.Net> wrote in message
    > Does this let the JPEG load into memory, or does XP convert the JPEG
    > to BMP in order to display the wallpaper?
    >
    > I posed the same question on another group just a few days ago, and
    > was told that the wallpaper is always loaded as BMP. My favorite
    > wallpaper is about 200 kb in JPEG, but over 1 MG in BMP. Of course,
    > I'd prefer to use the smaller size.
    >
    > Can you explain this to help me?
    >
    > <*((((><{
    > Fishy@Ocean.Net
    >
    > In the last exciting episode on Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:13:36 +0530,
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Start Regedit.exe and navigate to the following keys:
    >>
    >>HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    >>Policies \ Explorer

Configuration Wallpaper Microsoft Customization Windows XP