Disabling iGPU and overclocking a10 5800k

Laviloki

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I purchased an a10 5800K and plan to use it with a GTX 660 (I bought the apu for the Asus promotion).

I heard that disabling the graphics on the apu then overclocking would yield amazing results as the iGPU produces like half the heat from it. People are getting 4.7ghz stable after disabling it as it gives tons of thermal headroom.

How would I be able to do this, and would it be possible to do it on the stock cooler?

Also does the stock a10 bottleneck the GTX 660?

Thanks

need4speeds

Distinguished
It auto disables the onboard gpu when you plug a video card into the pcie slot.

After installing the card, in the bios you can disable it.

It does this on my FM1 Llano apu. I am pretty sure FM2 is similar.

The stock cooler wont let you overclock by much.
I recommend the coolermaster hyper 212 evo if you want a totally silent apu even under full load. A used heatpipe amd cooler will work ok.
Socket 939 coolers and FM1, am2, am2+,am3,am3+ also fit on FM2.
There was a copper slug amd cooler that was ok too, well at least the fins were not so fine where they would instantly clog up with dust.

All of the amd coolers have fans that make a annoying trademark AMDZZZZ sound and those fine fins that clog up with dust quickly.

need4speeds

Distinguished
The biggest thing i found with the Llano apu is that under full load the heat has troubles getting from the chip to the heat spreader and to the cooler. The cooler stays cool but watch your temps in the monitor because they will spike.

Under prime95 my A6-3650@3.5ghz spikes at about 57C and that's with the CM212 evo. Most of the time it stays under 30C. The fan is always at max but at that speed the CM fan is silent. I set it manually in the bios to max.

The tiny 32nm chip can't transfer the heat from a small footprint that is what the issue is. As they keep doing a die shrink, this heat gets even more concentrated on a even smaller spot. The cm 212 evo has copper direct heatpipes that are flattened that help transfer this heat directly to the pipes. It somewhat helps.
The paste is really important and the CM212 comes with decent paste.

The ivybridge also has this issue too where the sandybridge was easier to keep cool.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Yeah if somehow you can sand most of the heatspreader off voiding your warranty without destroying the chip and board's flux capacitors, or going too far back in time, lol, 7.87 ghz with new TDP of 1.21 GIGAWATTS is possible.

But good luck with that, and make sure you go exactly 88mph when you play racing games!

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Seriously people, read the article and then comment. The point is that the CPU in question was successfully overclocked to 7.87ghz. Right on topic.

"make sure you go exactly 88mph when you play racing games!"

Will do, here I come 1985!

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

Directly from AMD:

Response and Service Request History:

Since the CPU and GPU don't have to communicate through the motherboard, the temperatures for usage compared to a CPU and discrete or motherboard-integrated graphics card is actually lower when used on similar applications in similar conditions. This should actually be cooler than using a discrete card and CPU separately, due to the lower electrical usage through the CPU socket through the motherboard.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

If you can get that cpu to that clock rate under normal circumstances i would love to see it.

That doesn't mean anything. They were probably using liquid nitogen or liquid hydrogen to cool the CPU. That is something most people aren't going to be able to get their hands on and aren't going to be able to do. In the real world under normal circumstances you'll never get an overclock that high.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

JulesCools

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Actually you can stick the radiator of a Corsair water cooling kit into a bowl of salted ice water and get below freezing temps on the cpu, and were talking 40-100 bucks depending on the model up to H-100i. So yeah, it's definitely possible if you wanted to, just have to change out the ice every hour or so.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Right julescools, the cooler I linked to has a caveat as well. It creates condensation which can obviously lead to a short and some destroyed electronics. Some people have covered their MOBO in thermal clay in order to stop the water from dripping onto the MOBO. So as a general rule super cooling systems are not for long term usage. They are usually only good for quick runs at extreme overclocks.