killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
im building a computer and am going through the final stages of the planning, just today i got the case (a beautiful black lian li) psu (350watt enermax) heat sink (mts glaciator 2) 2x256 megs of pc2100 ram by kingston and a black pioneer slot loading dvd player, the system is going to have 2 80 gigabyte drives (seagate barracuda iv) and i am not going to put them in raid as the only kt266a mobo available at the moment (the epox) doesnt have builtin raid and i do not want to get an extra controller...

i would like to know how to best arrange the dvd drive and the 2 80 gig seagates, should i have the two drives on one controller as i really could not be bothered to do so. (lazy i know but thats what i am)

would it be better to put the hard drives as masters and the dvd drives as slave 0 or the hard drives as master0 slave0 and have the dvd drive as a master1? perhaps even have the second hard drive as a slave to the dvd drive? any advise is welcome though please dont tell me to get a raid controller

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

I know Maxtor recommend putting their drives as master and attach the CD-ROM/RW as a slave.

I personnaly have 2 Diamond Max Plus 40GB ATA-100 attached on Primary. On Secondary Master, I got a Quantun ATA-66 and my CD-RW as a slave. I preferred not mixing ATA-100 and ATA-66, but I don't think it really matters.

I don't suggest you buy a RAID controller, but look at Tom's article on RAID setup using Windows 2000. Quite interesting.

Personnaly, I would get 1 80GB and 2 40GB. I would put the 2 40GB in "soft" RAID for speed. No extra controller. The thing is that you can't put the system drive on soft-RAID with W2K...

Hope that gives you ideas...

Good Luck

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
cheers for that but i decided against 2 drives as i wont really need 80 gigs of space, when i do ill get the extra drive(s) so 80 gig barracuda IV in Master0 and Pioneer Slot DVD as Master1

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

a old rule is not to have anything esle attach to a drive because it could slow down things. The best thing is to keep hard drives together and everthing else together ok