Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2012 1:30:45 AM

Hello everyone!

Looking for advice on a new build. Here's what I've got so far:

Approximate Purchase Date: this month

Budget Range: Around $1000 to $1500

System Usage: Mainly Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Nope, got HP 23 in. monitor a few months back

Parts to Upgrade: I'm trying to make this a full-blown upgrade. So I'll need a CPU, Mobo, graphics card, and ram sticks. I'd prefer to keep my PSU though. I've just bought a Thermaltake TR2-500, and I'd prefer to keep it if possible. And I'm definitely keeping my case.

Parts Preferences: I've had good experience with Intel and Nvidia. My current mobo is an ASUS and I dont have any complaints either.

Overclocking: Maybe, once I read up on this more.

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not.

Your Monitor Resolution: Seems my native res is 1920x1080

Reason for Upgrading: Playing Arkham City on a GeForce 9500 GT aint cutting it anymore

So here are the parts I've got my eyes on:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 $230
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 $210
Graphics Card: ASUS GTX670 $420
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB $85
Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 $30

Additional Comments:
So as I've said, I hope to keep this new PSU. As for other devices connected to my current rig, I've got a Logitech G19 keyboard and also a Logitech G9x mouse. Then I've got a Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver and controller. I'm also a little curious of running a PhysX card. I know most people discourage it, and I doubt I'll find capable of running next to the 670. (Dont think a 9800GTX is gonna cut it) Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this build? Thanks in advance!
October 3, 2012 3:31:47 AM

For 1-1.5k you have alot better options and yeah you will need a new psu. I went 108$ over budget before rebates but got 670 sli and 2 more 23" monitors

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jd1S

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jd1S/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jd1S/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.98 @ NCIX US)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)

Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1582.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
l
October 3, 2012 4:49:01 PM

This is my idea. In order to run a 3 monitor set up, get one gtx 670 in the 4GB version (MSI makes the best). Keep everything else in the build above. The 670 will handle any game just fine by itself, and when it doesn't, get another 670 4GB.
To run on multiple monitors, you need more VRAM. That is why the single card will do better. You are also saving money initially.

One other thing, don't get the ripjaws series. The heat fins could mess with the CPU cooler. Get the ARES, also made by Gskill.
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2012 11:32:45 PM

zared619 said:
This is my idea. In order to run a 3 monitor set up, get one gtx 670 in the 4GB version (MSI makes the best). Keep everything else in the build above. The 670 will handle any game just fine by itself, and when it doesn't, get another 670 4GB.
To run on multiple monitors, you need more VRAM. That is why the single card will do better. You are also saving money initially.

One other thing, don't get the ripjaws series. The heat fins could mess with the CPU cooler. Get the ARES, also made by Gskill.

You think a single 670 would run a 3 monitor setup just fine? I assume you are talking 60 hz right? Not contradicting you, I was just under the impression that it was best to go SLI if you are doing 3 monitors.

OP, as long as you have good cooling and airflow, SLI is fine. Those ASUS 670s have excellent coolers, and I run two of them in my rig SLI. Keep in mind you will have to have tidy cable managment and lots of fans, but two 670 in SLI is totally worth it in my opinion. You really do get a hell of a lot more performance. Of course, that all depends on what resolution you are gaming at so it is all relative.

There is a good argument to be made for single card though. One card means less heat, less power, less babysitting. I just think that ASUS 670s would be a good choice if you are going to go the SLI route.
m
l
October 3, 2012 11:43:53 PM

i dont see the point of 3 monitors especially for fps games. if you are running multiple monitors, go look into a set of 7970. you will need 2 cards to play properly

the msi twin frozr 4 670s are better than the asus

m
l
October 4, 2012 1:39:54 AM

nstiver said:
You think a single 670 would run a 3 monitor setup just fine? I assume you are talking 60 hz right? Not contradicting you, I was just under the impression that it was best to go SLI if you are doing 3 monitors.

Yes. With the 4GB of VRAM, a single MSI 670 with 4GB will handle 3 monitors just fine. Whenever games become more graphically demanding, or the OP wants more performance, he can add another card.
m
l
!