Sign in with
Your question

Dell XPS 8300 will not fully boot.

Last response: in Components
February 15, 2013 11:05:04 PM

I have a dell xps 8300 that will not fully boot when i press the power button that is supposed to turn a bluish and fully boot, it just turns orange now.

Here is what happened. I decided that i was going to purchase some gaming components online for my computer, and I watched tutorials on how to remove components and reinstall them.

I removed all the components within my tower and inreinstalled them as best as i remembered, and I am quite confident that i did so correctly. After doing so, I proceeded to rebox(screw in panels) my computer up and start it. When i press the power button as mentioned above, It just turns orange and I can hear the fans running in my computer there is no display on my screen either. I have researched this "notorious" amber light issue for weeks now, for most people it's a "blinking" situation.

The solution has always been the power supply or motherboard is bad, but I am quite confident in saying that neither of those are the case with my computer seeing as how it was working just minutes before i messed with it's insides.

Unless I keep connecting the P1-P6 cables incorrectly to the dvd/and hard drive (considering there was a specific order...) I have no idea what is wrong and do not feel like wasting 199 bucks on geek squad who is scheduled to come look at it a week from now. Any help would be appreciated.
February 15, 2013 11:21:58 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
I'm going to suggest taking a picture of the inside of your computer with emphisis on the connections. What components were replaced? Brand and model name if known.
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:25:16 AM

Taking a picture is impossible at the moment, and no parts were replaced, i simply removed my current components and reinstall them as practice. I'll try and find out what brand and model, but it's a prebuilt del pc if that helps "dell xps 8300"
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:47:34 AM

Dell does have excellent support, here's the link for your computer (if you don't already have it) http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/Pr... under the Manuals and Documentation tab there is a link to your service manual (PDF or I would directly link it).
Here's what Dell has to say about a steady amber light
"If the power light is steady amber, a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.
"Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.
"Remove and then reinstall any cards.
"Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable."
Look to the service manual for help in connecting anything you are unsure of.
Hope it helps
m
l
!