Emachines T3626 rebuild help

DarthAkakios

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
So I am a first time "builder" and recently picked up a free emachines T3626. I am looking to just make it into a run of the mill home/student pc. Nothing spectacular like HD gaming or anything. I have found a replacement power cable. My general question is going to stem other questions but here goes... What will it take to make this into a workable machine? Also this is something I am hoping to turn into a hobby so please be nice :D

Specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-t3626/4507-3118_7-32655760.html

Solution

If on a 32 bit system (likely) you are limited to 3GB usable ram

And a new 64 bit operating system - see above. The HDD is unaffected by motherboard choice, you'll want a SATA HDD for the new hard drive, if wanting to run files from your old hard drive adapters can be purchased if IDE to the new motherboard's SATA

IMO, you don't want to keep the CPU, it is about the...
I would not look to replace the motherboard unless you know for sure that it is bad. I would think a Linux distro could turn your old computer into a workable home computer. If you want to upgrade to a multiple core CPU in a financially responsible manner, the CPU, Mobo and ram (at a minimum) would need to be replaced IMO.
Hope it helps

DarthAkakios

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I did sort of have it in my mind to do almost a complete overhaul. Not really sure if I would need to though, and since I am still very much a beginner I posted the cnet list for specs.
I do know that the 160gb hdd and 2gb max ram are too small for what I wanted. Ultimately and if possible I would like to push the ram to at minimum 4gb and the hdd up to around 500-750gb. I know that to get the ram higher I need a new motherboard, is the same true for the hdd? Also if I replace the motherboard is it possible to keep the current cpu?
Edit: One more thing, if I replace the motherboard does that mean I replace the power supply as well?

DarthAkakios

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Thank you for the link and info.

DarthAkakios

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

Thank you also, sadly I am barely familiar with Linux and my wife is even less so. I will definitely do some research into that though.

And a new 64 bit operating system - see above. The HDD is unaffected by motherboard choice, you'll want a SATA HDD for the new hard drive, if wanting to run files from your old hard drive adapters can be purchased if IDE to the new motherboard's SATA

IMO, you don't want to keep the CPU, it is about the weakest part of the computer

Replacing the power supply would be prudent as the capabilities lessen over time, it is an old system I think it replacement is a good idea - it may not be neccesary but I will recommend it

Solution

DarthAkakios

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013

IMO, you don't want to keep the CPU, it is about the weakest part of the computer

Replacing the power supply would be prudent as the capabilities lessen over time, it is an old system I think it replacement is a good idea - it may not be neccesary but I will recommend it

Thank you so much! You have been such a big help