Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Check out my build please

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 3, 2012 1:45:30 AM

If anyone can judge this and let me know what they think I would be thankful for it. THe only part I have ordered is the CPU. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iZ4V

Thanks

More about : check build

a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 2:00:54 AM

It's a good start but a couple things:

1. Don't use the Scorpio Black as its meant for laptops. Get a WD Caviar Blue instead.

2. Corsair XMS RAM kind of sucks - there's better choices you could go with. Try Mushkin Blackline or G.Skill Ares instead.

3. The Radeon 7950 is a better choice than the GTX 660TI is.

What is your budget? I could suggest a system if I knew that.

Maybe try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1089.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 2:10:09 AM

+1 for G-unit. The only thing I would change would be the GPU and the Case. I would get an MSI 7950 over the Sapphire. Also, I would get an NZXT Apollo case.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 3, 2012 2:12:31 AM

g-unit1111 said:
It's a good start but a couple things:

1. Don't use the Scorpio Black as its meant for laptops. Get a WD Caviar Blue instead.

2. Corsair XMS RAM kind of sucks - there's better choices you could go with. Try Mushkin Blackline or G.Skill Ares instead.

3. The Radeon 7950 is a better choice than the GTX 660TI is.

What is your budget? I could suggest a system if I knew that.

Maybe try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1089.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


I would like to keep it around 850.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 2:22:41 AM

zared619 said:
+1 for G-unit. The only thing I would change would be the GPU and the Case. I would get an MSI 7950 over the Sapphire. Also, I would get an NZXT Apollo case.


NZXT makes some great cases but I really hate cases with doors. I'd go for the Source 210 instead.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 2:38:04 AM

Cases almost always come down to personal preference. That's why we are here; to give the OP a couple of different options.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 2:40:12 AM

keep everything on that list except the ram and the hard drive. it looks like a really good build other then those two things.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 2:42:22 AM

actually id get a better motherboard like the asrock extreme 4 or the asus p8z77-v lk, and you might want to get an optical drive, but its not a must for the optical drive
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 7:07:55 AM

oK sounds good. Can anyone explain what makes a good mother board. I am really new to this and still trying to figure out what each component does.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 1:00:17 PM

More or less, a good motherboard is by brand. Brands such as Asus, AsRock (made by Asus), Gigabyte, and MSI are more or less the best. Even then you still have some bad boards. I hate saying this, but it is sometimes good to look at the reviews. Alot of people don't know what they are really talking about, but some people do. You just have to go with a good brand. Additionally, price makes a big difference. The biggest jump in quality is from a $50 board to a $100 board. You will get better as you go higher, but a good solid board can be picked up for around $130, and most people don't need to go more expensive.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 5:09:42 PM

zared619 said:
More or less, a good motherboard is by brand. Brands such as Asus, AsRock (made by Asus), Gigabyte, and MSI are more or less the best. Even then you still have some bad boards. I hate saying this, but it is sometimes good to look at the reviews. Alot of people don't know what they are really talking about, but some people do. You just have to go with a good brand. Additionally, price makes a big difference. The biggest jump in quality is from a $50 board to a $100 board. You will get better as you go higher, but a good solid board can be picked up for around $130, and most people don't need to go more expensive.


A lot of people also pick boards based on experience. Asus, Asrock, and Gigabyte all make the best of the best. MSI can be really hit-or-miss depending on who you talk to, and then there's smaller motherboard manufacturers like ECS, EVGA, and Intel-branded motherboards. The Intel boards are good in that they last forever, but they're also incredibly expensive (sometimes double what the comparable Asus or Gigabyte model runs) but you don't get the extra features back in return.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 5:52:06 PM

g-unit1111 said:
A lot of people also pick boards based on experience. Asus, Asrock, and Gigabyte all make the best of the best. MSI can be really hit-or-miss depending on who you talk to, and then there's smaller motherboard manufacturers like ECS, EVGA, and Intel-branded motherboards. The Intel boards are good in that they last forever, but they're also incredibly expensive (sometimes double what the comparable Asus or Gigabyte model runs) but you don't get the extra features back in return.


Ok I think I am getting it. I think I will go with the Aus extreme 4. Spend a little bit more money I guess.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 3, 2012 6:28:39 PM

STNICK_85 said:
Ok I think I am getting it. I think I will go with the Aus extreme 4. Spend a little bit more money I guess.


Yeah it's better to spend a bit more money and then you get a system with a bit more longevity. I know future-proofing is impossible to predict but it's always better to be prepared than not.

If you want to keep it around $900 I'll suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($247.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $935.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
Share
October 3, 2012 10:11:06 PM

Best answer selected by stnick_85.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 10:11:54 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah it's better to spend a bit more money and then you get a system with a bit more longevity. I know future-proofing is impossible to predict but it's always better to be prepared than not.

If you want to keep it around $900 I'll suggest this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($247.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $935.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


I have ordered most of these. I got a diffrent case but other than that I think this is my build. Thanks.
m
0
l
!