Black Screen After POST, BSOD in Safemode

HateDread

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hey all,

After booting up this morning, my PC refused to open up Windows - I get through POST alright (although it sometimes hangs when displayed the hard drives), but when starting Windows normally, I get a black screen instead of Windows Log-on. I've left it for a while and nothing changes.

When I boot in to safe mode, I get a BSOD. However, I now cannot select safe mode, instead I get the option to use the system repair utility, or to boot normally. Boot normally leads to the aforementioned black screen, and when I use the repair tool, it fails to detect/display any installed OSs at the start, and when I select the start-up recovery tool, it says 'Start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically'.

I also got a boot file error at one point, but inserting the Windows Disk lead to the above - no active OSs to select.

I've tried changing the SATA port in use, but to no avail. This HDD is only a few months old, so I'm hoping against hope that it is not the problem.

Any ideas?
- HateDread

HateDread

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Finally got into Windows. Run HD Sentinel and I get this:

There are 12640 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
The drive found 55400 bad sectors during its self test.
There are 55400 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.
127 errors occured during data transfer. This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.

This drive is pretty new though! (Sentinel reports 33 days up-time). Now down to 5% health :(