Sign in with
Your question

Htpc gpu single vs. dual fan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2012 11:29:43 AM

hi,
i want to buy a gpu for my htpc..i have selected the r7770 because of its low power consumption and decent performance..

the problem is my htpc has very little airflow...there is only one 120mm and 2x 92mm fans...i replaced the 120mm fan with my corsair h70 rad+fan for my cpu..my htpc needs to be quiet..so should i buy a dual fan card for better airflow?
will dual fan cards produce more sound than single fan?that would be an issue..i could add a pci fan for my gpu..it has a knob for controlling fan speed...so what should i do??
buy a single fan card vs. dual fan card vs. single fan card+pci fan..i dont think if i buy a dual fan card,i would need a pci fan...plz help...i have chosen a single fan and a dual fan card...here are the links...are there any better cards for airflow+quietness+performance??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thnx in advance
mukit
August 13, 2012 1:18:16 AM

Yes generally a dual fan will generate more noise than a single fan, but often if the card heats up easily due to poor airflow and more. A single fan will spool up faster and there for get louder more quickly.

Adding a PCI fan will be WAY louder than a dual fan GPU. I know this because I have one that I was using till I got a side fan which actually cooled better than the PCI fan. And that single PCI fan is way louder than my two 6850 (single fan Direct CU cooling ASUS brand) when they're at 75% which they never are unless I force it and even then it doesn't make much of a difference compared to 50% fan speed.

Do you plan to game on this PC or only use it as a media center? If the latter then a single fan card will be just fine. Just make sure to get a case which supports a front fan as well as a side fan if you can to draw lots of cool air into the case.
August 13, 2012 6:35:55 AM

bobusboy said:
Yes generally a dual fan will generate more noise than a single fan, but often if the card heats up easily due to poor airflow and more. A single fan will spool up faster and there for get louder more quickly.

Adding a PCI fan will be WAY louder than a dual fan GPU. I know this because I have one that I was using till I got a side fan which actually cooled better than the PCI fan. And that single PCI fan is way louder than my two 6850 (single fan Direct CU cooling ASUS brand) when they're at 75% which they never are unless I force it and even then it doesn't make much of a difference compared to 50% fan speed.

Do you plan to game on this PC or only use it as a media center? If the latter then a single fan card will be just fine. Just make sure to get a case which supports a front fan as well as a side fan if you can to draw lots of cool air into the case.

it will be used mainly as a media centre..but i will be doing some very mild gaming,,,,the problem is with my case...it only has one 120mm fan hole which is assigned to my corsair h70....if i uninstall the h70 and install a 120mm fan on the fan hole,use the stock cooler on the cpu and use dual fanned gpu,will it be better?..if not than i will mod up the case and maybe watercool the components.....
!