Indian AC supplies, PSU's, and Stabilized UPS

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
So i'll be building a new gaming rig for a friend, with an HD 7870, i5-3550 and a 1TB HDD.

As most people know, here in India, if we directly connect the comp to the wall socket, I wouldn't even last 5 minutes cause the power supply is extremely unstable, out of phase and erratic. Hence, what everyone does is spend INR 2,500 ($50) on a good UPS with a built in stabilizer, and then use a cheap INR 600 PSU [$10].
So, as the PSU will be getting only completely clean, filtered, stable AC supply, is it fine if I stick to the cheap PSU idea? This technique works flawlessly for all systems that have sub 70W Graphic cards, including my old E8400 build that is running along happily for the past 5 years. :)

The question now is, will the 150W+ HD 7870 graphic card be fine with it too? I'm planning on atleast a 700W PSU.
If not, any suggestions for good value for money PSU here in India are welcome.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hahaha:) I knew that most forum members from developed countries would freak out at the idea of a $10 PSU, infact I wonder if such PSU's are even available there :D

Anyway, its not as suicidal as it seems; like I've mentioned before, we have a Stabilizer and UPS in between the PSU and the wall socket, so the PSU doesn't have to deal with all the brown outs, spikes and other stuff that PSU's in your countries have to deal with.

Any experts from India/Asia here who would like to give their suggestions? :)

Solution

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Hey, we checked with some local dealers in Bangalore, and we decided to get a Corsair 600W one, for Rs. 3000/-. Don't remember the model number, but it comes with a 2yr warranty. Guess its not worth the risk with a Rs. 19,000 graphic card inside :)

Thanks for your suggestions :)