Sign in with
Your question

7850 Crossfire Problem, Second card not working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2012 1:00:59 PM

Hello

I have been having problems with my sapphire 7850's oc, These cards are factory overclocked and perform very well. When I am doing anything graphically intensive for over 30 minutes my computer freezes, I cant move the mouse change any of the profiles on my keyboard, the computer just becomes unresponsive. It normally does it when I am playing Battlefield 3

I have looked at the temp of the CPU and GPU when it freezes the CPU is around 35-40c and both GPU's ranges from 25-35c.

I am currently use the computer with no crossfire bridge and it runs the games fine with no crashing, One thing that i noticed is that the second GPU's fan does not spin just before the crash, its not just that it does not spin it just turns off. I cant see the any details about the card in CCC or any other program that I use.

I am using the 12.6 drivers currently, I have tried reinstalling the drivers, and i even formatted my SSD then reinstalled windows 7.

Computer details:
CPU - Intel i7 3820
GPU - 2x sapphire 7850 oc
Motherboard - Asus Rampage Formula IV
Ram - 4x 4GB G.Skill 1600mh/z DDR3
SSD - Intel 60GB 330 series Sata 2.0
HDD - WD Green 1.5TB Sata 1.0
PSU - Thermaltake tough power 775w modular
CPU Cooler - Corsair h60
Case - Coolermaster HAF 912
DVD Rom - 24x Cd/Dvd burner
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Please help I rely on my computer for everything School/work/gaming/CAD/Other
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 1:16:37 PM

"I am currently use the computer with no crossfire bridge"

the bridge must be installed for crossfire to work.

the cards must be in PCIe slots 1 and 4. and power must be connected to both cards as well.
August 12, 2012 1:23:09 PM

I would say the second card is having problems
. Try just using one card at a time and if it still does it then you know you might have to rma the card.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 1:35:08 PM

Um, put the Crossfire Bridge on...
August 12, 2012 2:17:08 PM

Guys I had the crossfire bridge on, just so that I can use it the crossfire bridge is off. Both card have power and I have swapped the cards around and the pcie slots around and still the same resault
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 4:38:50 PM

Uninstall the 12.6 drivers, use Driver Sweeper, install 12.7 beta drivers and make sure you install the 12.7 Catalyst Application Profiles. I had a similar problem with a 4850X2.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 6:47:07 PM

Dr-Paperplanes said:
Guys I had the crossfire bridge on, just so that I can use it the crossfire bridge is off. Both card have power and I have swapped the cards around and the pcie slots around and still the same resault

we had to ask!
It may very well be a Mobo issue also.Any chance you know someone with a crossfire setup you can try your cards in?

another thing,have you plugged in the motherboard Molex power for the Pcie?
August 13, 2012 1:32:15 AM

Earnie said:
we had to ask!
It may very well be a Mobo issue also.Any chance you know someone with a crossfire setup you can try your cards in?

another thing,have you plugged in the motherboard Molex power for the Pcie?

No, i haven't. When I built the computer I saw that molex plug on the motherboard and i didn't know what it was four, I will plug it in and see if the second card behaves it self.

I will report back with the results.

Thanks.

This is really gonna mess with my cable management because the molez plug is torward the middle of the board. :whistle: 
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 2:14:27 AM

Dr-Paperplanes said:
No, i haven't. When I built the computer I saw that molex plug on the motherboard and i didn't know what it was four, I will plug it in and see if the second card behaves it self.

I will report back with the results.

Thanks.

This is really gonna mess with my cable management because the molez plug is torward the middle of the board. :whistle: 

I know,buy its for extra power to the PCIe slots for multi-gpu setups,it may help.
August 13, 2012 2:48:40 AM

Earnie said:
I know,buy its for extra power to the PCIe slots for multi-gpu setups,it may help.

It boots fine, I am going to do some stress testing. will post back with the resaults
August 13, 2012 6:48:20 AM

ok guys i think that Earnie has solved the problem, but i will post back if there is any problem again.
!