Core i5 3470 or Core i7 920 ?

Solution
for gaming 3470... but in heavy load tasks the i7's hyperthreading will help... IF its just for gaming the 3470 for sure but if you are editing video then the i7 is your choice...
If the i7 is cheaper, buy a CPU cooler and overclock it... if you do overclock you will get 3470 performance in gaming and i7 performance in heavy load tasks... The i5 also has lower power consumption so that may be a factor for you, but i doubt it...

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
for gaming 3470... but in heavy load tasks the i7's hyperthreading will help... IF its just for gaming the 3470 for sure but if you are editing video then the i7 is your choice...
If the i7 is cheaper, buy a CPU cooler and overclock it... if you do overclock you will get 3470 performance in gaming and i7 performance in heavy load tasks... The i5 also has lower power consumption so that may be a factor for you, but i doubt it...

Solution

satyamdubey

Distinguished

I'll go with the 3740 . I use my pc for gaming . And the LGA1156 mobo are hard to find these days .
I was hoping some one would point this out :). first gen i7's ar remarkable processors in their own right bu a third gen i5 is much stronger in virtually every sense. My rendering machine in office is a 920 paired with a quadro 580 (it get badly stressed in flamingo renders or with Bunkspeed shot). Home pc is in sig.
They actually are not that far apart in even rendering (2400 with a 6670 ddr5 is marginally better) and in gaming my 2400 is a much ahead. 3470 is still faster than the 2400.
get the 3470.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
another thing that i forgot to point out. this favours the 920. Overclocking. a 920 offers a good head room for OC'ing. a 3470 would only offer very limited capability to OC if one of the purposes of this build is to maybe learn a bit of OC'ing then get the 920.

I think a couple of week back, someone posted a query with a 920 @ 4 GHz. I very clearly remember this because a few did congratulate them on getting a 2.6 GHz machine to 4 GHz.

you can see it here too: http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

A lot of people would say there's no point in getting a 4 year old cpu and all these sockets are pretty much dead anyway and yes they are right. so please remember, if these are your only choices and OC IS on the cards then and then only take the 920.

good luck
-satyam

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
If you're willing to overclock, the Core i7 will provide far better performance.
In multithreaded apps they won't be even close.
And yes it will also be better for gaming.
Just make sure you've got a nice motherboard for it.