Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Noob with new rig with questions

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2012 5:17:43 AM

Ok guys and gals. I am brand new to PC gaming and need some help. I built this rig myself and I feel like I am not using it correctly. I have read things about programs like Prime95 and EVGA Precision and many others. I would like to know how to overclock my rig without the science behind it. I'll save that for when I'm ready to study further. Right now I just want the best bang for my bucks. As you can see I have spent a ton of money and I don't want it to go to waste. I should add the reason for the RAM overkill is my wife loves to edit photos and video so I got her the best I could buy. Anyway, I thank you all in advance and am ready to use this beast to it's full potential. Cheers!!

On a side note I know I can use the OC Tuner in the BIOS. I've used it once before and got 4.2ghz off it. I went back in the reset everything to its optimal default settings before posting this. Just in case someone has a better idea on how to go about things.

PC Specs:
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i7-3770k
RAM: Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 DRAM 1866MHz PC3 15000 - C9 Desktop Memory (CMD16GX3M2A1866C9)
GPU: TWO 2GB EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 FTW - SLI
LCU: Corsair H80
PSU: Rosewill Bronze 1000W
Asus DVD drive

More about : noob rig questions

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 5:09:44 PM

For CPU

1. Go into your bios
2. Find the cpu settings
3. Change the modifier and turbo modifiers to the clock that you desire (FSB should be around 100 you can bump that up to around 105 but don't go higher)
4. If you went x45+ then you'll want to manually adjust the voltage. the voltage needs to be less than 1.4V but the lower you can get it and have it be stable the better.
5. Run prime95 to make sure it's stable
6. If not stable go back into bios and add more voltage or lower your clock. Oh and keep your temps 80C or lower

For GPU

1. I use MSI afterburner but EVGA should be similiar
2. Adjust the Core Clock and Memory Clock (go in small increments up)
3. Run MSI Kombustor or the EVGA equivalent
4. Ensure overclock is stable and temps are less than 90 on the top card (bottom card should always be lower in temps)
5. If the computer crashes lower the clock (or raise voltage but I'd stick with finding the highest clock at stock voltage for now)
6. If the temps are too high adjust the fan settings to provide more cooling. If that still doesn't work than lower clock settings

That's the basics. There are more thorough guides on Tom's to help you every step of the way. Words of advice: Don't assume your gpu/cpu is like anyone else's. Just because they could get it to clock in xxxx with a voltage at yyyy doesn't mean you can. The easy way to find out how high your cpu mulitplier can go is to see how high it can be and post. i.e. If it can't post at x50 then you can't go that high.
January 26, 2013 1:55:21 PM

My sincere apologies for not writing back. I honestly forgot I took your advice and did not respond. All of your information worked out great. Thank you for taking the time to send such a detailed reply!
Score
January 26, 2013 1:55:44 PM

Best answer selected by dark1349throne.
Score
!