Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this a sufficient build? i5-3570 / amd7950 / ssd

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 3, 2012 6:45:41 AM

I haven't owned a pc in ages and now i need one to see what i feel games were meant to look like. what kind of fps will i see with the following build on games like planetside 2 and battlefield 3 with the following setup? any opinions overall are welcome! i feel like i've spent way to long trying to figure out the details :(  and after hours of research this is the build i came up with:

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-3570 Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade )
1 x Memory ( 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance )
1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 7950 - 3GB - HIS IceQ - Cooler, Quieter - Single Card )
1 x Motherboard ( ASRock Z77 Pro4 -- 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 )
1 x Power Supply ( 500 Watt - Standard )
1 x Primary Hard Drive 256GB ADATA SP900 SSD
October 3, 2012 6:54:34 AM

Everything checks out. A few comments though:
- I take it you won't be OC-ing. Suggest you swap the CPU to i5-3450 or 3550.
- You don't need 16gb of RAM for gaming. Get a (2x4gb) RAM kit.
- Great video card choice, you can probably play most games on ultra. BF3 is an exception though since it favors Nvidia, but you'll still get decent FPS on it with the 7950.
- Mobo is solid
- Would get at least 550-600w IMO for that system, and it would be nice to give us which brand/model you are getting exactly.
- same with the SSD.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 6:56:54 AM

What is 500W Standard?
m
0
l
Related resources
October 3, 2012 7:00:13 AM

Deemo13 said:
What is 500W Standard?

he is buying from IBuyPower(.)com and they take the cheapest psu they can find and call it "standard"
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 7:02:10 AM

Lol. He's risking half(or more) of his components frying then if the "standard" PSU fails.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 7:04:13 AM

devilofdeaths said:
he is buying from IBuyPower(.)com and they take the cheapest psu they can find and call it "standard"


Ah right, I should have mentioned the store. Thanks!
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 7:07:35 AM

excella1221 said:
Everything checks out. A few comments though:
- I take it you won't be OC-ing. Suggest you swap the CPU to i5-3450 or 3550.
- You don't need 16gb of RAM for gaming. Get a (2x4gb) RAM kit.
- Great video card choice, you can probably play most games on ultra. BF3 is an exception though since it favors Nvidia, but you'll still get decent FPS on it with the 7950.
- Mobo is solid
- Would get at least 550-600w IMO for that system, and it would be nice to give us which brand/model you are getting exactly.
- same with the SSD.


Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm still swapping things out as we speak and I'm thinking of going with the i5-3570K in case i want to overclock in the future. Either way, why do you suggest what seems to be a downgrade if I don't overclock? save money? its a free upgrade from the 3550. I also bumped up to Corsair CX750 in case i want to do crossfire. As for the SSD the brand is ADATA. I took your advice and downgraded the memory to save some bacon.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 7:23:05 AM

If you don't plan to overclock, get a regular i5. Its literally just as fast.

iBuyPower doesn't generally put great fans on their computer either.

I really hope you aren't paying over $1000 for this.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 7:24:38 AM

Deemo13 said:
If you don't plan to overclock, get a regular i5. Its literally just as fast.

iBuyPower doesn't generally put great fans on their computer either.

I really hope you aren't paying over $1000 for this.

he is paying ~1200 is my guess
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 7:48:18 AM

mazen94122 said:
Thanks for the quick reply!
I'm still swapping things out as we speak and I'm thinking of going with the i5-3570K in case i want to overclock in the future. Either way, why do you suggest what seems to be a downgrade if I don't overclock? save money? its a free upgrade from the 3550. I also bumped up to Corsair CX750 in case i want to do crossfire. As for the SSD the brand is ADATA. I took your advice and downgraded the memory to save some bacon.

Your first post says i5-3570, meaning the non-K version which doesn't have an unlocked multiplier so you can't OC with it.
The price difference of that and the K version is almost negligible. The 3550 is only 0.1 GHz below the 3570, while the 3450 is only 0.3 GHz below. You will most likely not notice a difference in real world. Now that you've said you'll be OC-ing though, try to consider an ASRock Extreme3 or Extreme4 is you can spare the cash since they overclock really great and have neat features.

Wouldn't you rather have a 128gb SSD for the OS and your most used apps/games, then a 1TB HDD for storage? I don't really know much about A-Data reliability as well.

I suggest the Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W instead. Reliable, efficient, and it's modular for better cable management.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 4:24:43 PM

Deemo13 said:
If you don't plan to overclock, get a regular i5. Its literally just as fast.

iBuyPower doesn't generally put great fans on their computer either.

I really hope you aren't paying over $1000 for this.


I am going with iBuypower. Where else would suggest I go to build this system? Where can I get it for less than $1000? Or is that just the cost of the sum of the parts?
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 8:26:28 PM

Well, for less than $1000, you can get a much better computer if you build it rather than buying it.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 11:58:08 PM

mazen94122 said:
I am going with iBuypower. Where else would suggest I go to build this system? Where can I get it for less than $1000? Or is that just the cost of the sum of the parts?

I don't know where you are nor ibuypower since you didn't fill up the form on the sticky so that's hard to answer. :p  If you're on the US though, there's Newegg, NCIX, and Microcenter.
m
0
l
!