Built a PC but missing molex

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Everything is new except the PSU. It's a corsair hx620W, but I have no molex connectors, so can't hook up more than 1 fan (mobo).

So what adapter do I need?

And BTW, my SSD only got the lowest score of all the equipment in windows rating, is it because I used sata 3 input? The GPU is kinda blocking the 6.

Can I just take out the cable and put it in 6? or do I have to change anything?

how does it not have any molex connectors????? they have cables so that you can attach them when you need them to the power supply.

if you used all of them, you shouldnt in a modern system

and the fact that you can use molex to 3pin connectors so that you can plug the fans into the mobo

and if you seriously dont have molexs. there are sata to molex adaptors out there

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
You can use a 3-pin splitter to add more fans. E.g.: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Power-Splitter-Cable-TX3SPLIT12/dp/B002DY7M1G

For your SSD be sure it is in AHCI mode otherwise it will not score higher than 5.9. If you've installed Windows in IDE mode, you need to do the following:

1 Boot into Windows
2 Execute the "Fix It" in this Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
3 Reboot into the BIOS
4 Change the BIOS SATA mode to "AHCI", save setting and restart
5 Boot into Windows
6 Windows will detect a new device, the SSD in AHCI mode and want to restart
7 Restart and boot back into Windows and rerun the assessment.

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
The PSU is old, and I haven't got all of its cables.

My SSD scored 7.4
My processor (i5-3570) scored 7.6
Graphics, both of them (asus gtc 660 ti 2gb) 7.9
RAM (corsair vengeance 8gb) 7.7

Just surprised me that the SSD would get the lowest score.

Dougie, can I use that splitter on the mobo? Or is that too much?

you can use a splitter no problem. i use a couple

odd that your psu didnt come with all the wires

you should be using a sata 6gbps port for max performance but sata 3gbps is still ok since IOPS rate (what makes a ssd feel snappy) is not affected

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
OK.

But here's a problem. When I turned on the PSU (from 0 to 1) for the first time yesterday, the fuse went out. It worked again, and have had no problems, but it happened again today. Maybe because I shut it off again (1 to 0) because I was messing about inside it.

I used a splitter, so I got rid of that and connected the PSU straight into the wall socket.

Anything to worry about if it doesn't happen again?

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Checked BIOS, in boot priority I can only see the second disk (caviar black 1TB9, but not the SSD. The SSD is listed as second or alternative or something.

Have I messed up something?

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Yeah I installed in IDE mode, but still it scores 7.4

Is my SSD not first in boot priority because I connected it to sata3 slot nr 2? The caviar black (which is boot pri nr 1) is in sata3 slot nr1.

There is only the caviar black in boot priorities, can't seem to understand how to change it to SSD. It says above that you can drag and change the order, but it isn't there at all

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
OK.

So I have to format both the drives (because I installed OS on the SSD and games on the other), restart, and then change the disk in BIOS to AHCI, and then re-install w7?

Right now the SSD is connected to sata3 slot 2, and WD is connected to sata3 slot 1, do I have to reveerse that? So that the SSD is on 1? Wondering if I should connect the SSD to sata6, but the graphics card is so big.

If the wire is touching the GPU, is it harmful for anything?

potatoeman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
OK, I got the SSD to be primary boot drive now, had to change the disk priority first.

But when I set SATA option to ACHI, a lot of options pop up. Every SATA connection gets a choice between Hot Plug (I think).

Do I enable that on some of them or none?

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
If you follow the steps above you don't need to reformat/reinstall to switch from IDE mode to AHCI mode. It's simply enabling a driver in Windows via the "Fix It" and then changing your BIOS to AHCI. I've done this several times cloning customers' HDDs to SSDs.

For the BIOS options, just leave everything as the defaults after you select AHCI.