G

Okay, so I wanted to share with you guys how I'm thinking about preparing my rig for next generation.

Current specs;
GPU; GTX 680 EVGA SC EDITION
CPU: i5 2500k clocked to 4.2
motherboard; p67-c45
power supply; 650w

To christmas/beginning of next year I'm thinking of firstly buying a new chassi, Antec Nine Hundred for 110 euro. It's a nice and fairly cheap chassi and unlike my current one it supports sli.
I'm also buying a very good motherboard supporting pcie3 since my current one does not. I was thinking of Asus MAXIMUS V FORMULA THUNDER FX for 300 euro, I hope that this motherboard will keep up in at least 4-5 years. Then, I want to buy cooler master silent pro 1000w 80+ gold also to keep it in many, many years. it will support sli and this is what im aiming for, I want to sli my gtx 680 instead of buying a new gen card. This will be 600 euro and my budget is max 600 euro, but i would prefer sinking it abit, is any of this overkill or so? i want to keep it in many years, but the motherboard might be not so needed.. I want your suggestions!

Middle of 2013 I'm going to buy Haswell, thats partly why I buy this motherboard, I want it to support Haswell. Then to End of 2013/2014 I'm buying sli GTX 680 since I think my single gtx 680 will keep maxing all games with expections till the consoles come, they shouldnt come before end of 2013 so yeah.. What do you think?

willyroc

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Actually, manufacturers will be aiming for minimal power usage on their GPUs, so I don't think 1000W will be necessary. 800W is more than enough to run SLI 680s. Errm, the motherboard is overkill so I'd recommend something (preferably Z77) that supports PCI-E 3.0 and Thunderbolt. I'd also get a decent quality case that will last you through the years. Just my $.02...

Penguinz

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Isn't haswell a new socket? 1155 is probably gonna be replaced, so you should probably wait until haswell is released before buying main components.

G

is nine hundred two antec not a very good case? would you recommend another one? i have decided to buy the none thunder version of the motherboard, the price now is 240 euro!
recommend me a case and ill return soon to suggest power supplies. thanks for taking your time!

1: dont bother with a 680. 670s perform just as well for cheaper
2: maximus v is a total waste to you
3: haswell will be on a different socket. the maximus v wont support it. nothing currently will
4; overkill power supply. not needed in any stretch of your imagination

stop wasting money on the idea of future proofing. its completely useless

G

What? So, when will haswell supported motherboards be released? Tell me which motherboard I should buy instead if you got the time.
As you've heard, I want a top notch computer but everytime I buy new stuff I need to call friends and it's pretty tough to not be able to do stuff myself, so I just want a future proofing motherboard and power supply. I mean, ive heard most motherboards stays top notch for like 5 years.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2241164 here they say that haswell will support 1155, is that true or just a speculation? asus maximus v formula supports that in that case.

the new haswell motherboards will be released when haswell comes out.

futureproofing is impossible. its completely useless. everyone knows that. just get a 750w power supply and get a graphics card when you build your rig.

haswell is socket 1150 not 1155. they even said in the first 2 posts of the forum

G

ok but i guess that Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz will be ok aswell?, ill overclock it of course.

G

in 2-3 years tho I think ill be beneficial to a i7 processor..

it wont. by the time hyperthreading is useful for gaming, your CPU wont be powerful enough run the game or you are going to upgrade. hyperthreading will be useful in about 5 years. get out of the futureproofing illusion

buy what you need not what you think you need

G

Ok, but the motherboard is good and the power supply right? 850 w bronze for like 110 euro, my antec nine hundred two case also good i guess?

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
in 2-3 years tho I think ill be beneficial to a i7 processor..

Based on what, gut instinct? ;) Right now, only a few games take advantage of quad-core CPUs. Applications which take advantage of more than that tend to be productivity-based, and will be very unlikely to be the case with games. Try not to over-think the future-proofing aspect of a build too much. It's obviously good to get the best, most recent components you can within your budget at the time you build your system, but if you get into this game you need to accept that sooner or later (usually sooner!) your system will be out-dated. Just take a look at the sigs of people within the forums here to see the range in system age. That doesn't mean you won't be able to play modern games, however.

To answer your questions:

1) Don't get a 1000W PSU...there's no need, unless you go with more than dual GPUs in the future;

2) A 680 is a good GPU...probably overkill, but if you want to get one of the best GPUs going, sure. However, it's not the most cost-effective...and SLI isn't needed generally unless you're doing multi-screen gaming. A better approach is to get a mid-range GPU (7950 or 660Ti) and SLI that later on if games start to struggle;

3) As said already...Haswell will not be compatible with existing motherboards. A Haswell motherboard will not be compatible with current CPUs, even if said motherboard was available. Make the decision now whether or not you want Haswell or Ivybridge and go from there (and I have to note that considering a CPU upgrade later flies in the face of a future-proof system, which is where you build a system and expect it to run well for several years with maybe a GPU upgrade in there somewhere).

G

alright, thanks. i think ill go for 850w tho just because 690 works with 650w atm, buuuuut the next gen might require 750 and be better with 850.. but i want some case suggestions.. will antec nine hundred be enough space for my motherboard and sli cards?

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
I dont know why you want to bother with a 690. Its expensive, consumes a lot of power, and the only difference you will notice is ~30FPS.

Just go cheaper on the CPU+mobo now and replace it when Haswell comes out.
Manufacturers are also trying to lessen power consumption on their products, thus 750W for the next-gen dual GPU cards is not needed.
902 is fine, but I recommend others. The NZXT Switch 810, Corsair 600T, 650D, etc.

Listen to BigTroll. :D

G

I already have gtx 680. I'm looking to sli it in the future thats why i prepare a new case, motherboard and power supply.

G

I still get dips in Borderlands 2, Witcher 2 cant be played smoothly with ubersampling.. i dont think games like gta V and far cry 3 will be easily maxed on my comp, and definately not 2014 games so im preparing.

how do you get dips in borderlands 2. i was playing it at max settings with no dips on my 670

ubersampling wont be maxed either way. and there is like no difference between regular aa

as i said, YOU CANT EXPECT TO PLAY GAMES AT ULTRA ALL THE TIME. nothing will

G

The average FPS maxed out on borderlands 2 by official benchmarks with my cpu is 61, so I get dips to low 50s, even 40s in some worst scenarios. That's completely normal though. Do you use 110 field of view? that causes much of my dips, when i had it at 90 my worst dips was like 50 and normal dips 55. note that my average fps is like 75-110 so yeah..

G

... Yes but how about games like Farcry 3 coming out with much higher requirements? I just want to get an answer about the case. is it good enough? does it support sli? does it support the width and length of my motherboard? antec nine hundred two