Replace standard modem with wireless

Solution
Personally I prefer a separate modem and router since a lot of modems are ISP specific. Also most ADSL Routers only have G-wireless capability.

can you replace the standard wired modem provided by your ISP with a wireless/wifi modem yourself?

Yes, but not without the help of the ISP via phone support since you have to configure it with the account info to authenticate to their network.

before you buy any hardware confirm with your ISP that the hardware you like to buy is compatible with their system
Personally I prefer a separate modem and router since a lot of modems are ISP specific. Also most ADSL Routers only have G-wireless capability.

can you replace the standard wired modem provided by your ISP with a wireless/wifi modem yourself?

Yes, but not without the help of the ISP via phone support since you have to configure it with the account info to authenticate to their network.

before you buy any hardware confirm with your ISP that the hardware you like to buy is compatible with their system

Solution

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Thanks for the answers guys. Cleared up the first part of my inquiry, the rest of my questionnaire will probably only be best answered by my ISP themselves.

Again thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS