VelmusX

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi, guyz.

Here are some of my specs:
CPU - AMD FX 8150 3,6 GHz
GPU - nVidia GForce GT 650 DirectCU 1GB
RAM - 4 GB
HDD - 1000 GB (I think it's caviar blue)

Here is the problem:
My PC is able to see only 2,9 out of 4 GB RAM. I think it is because the graphics card and windows are using part of it. Am I right? Is 4 GB RAM enough for this powerful PC running Windows 8 Pro? If I want my PC to see more RAM, should I buy more or the problem is with windows?

Please help. :??:
Thanks.

Quadacon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2013
your OS (windows) is most likely 32bit witch means that it can only use up to about 3GB of RAM, install or upgrade to a 64bit os and remember: you cant really have to much RAM (with in reason) 8GB is a good amount but first you need a 64 bit os ( assuming that you already dont)

Quadacon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2013
your OS (windows) is most likely 32bit witch means that it can only use up to about 3GB of RAM, install or upgrade to a 64bit os and remember: you cant really have to much RAM (with in reason) 8GB is a good amount but first you need a 64 bit os ( assuming that you already dont)

VelmusX

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I have never had 64bit windows before. I've had XP, Vista and 8 32bit only. Few years ago when I used that XP it was able to see round 3,7 GB RAM...

You might need to turn on a setting in your BIOS to allow for Physical Address Extension or Memory Remap or something like that in order to get the 32 bit version of Windows to use more of your RAM. The 4GB address limit also has to account for other motherboard devices, not just RAM, so you won't see the full 4GB with a 32 bit OS.

In any case, your best solution is to switch to a 64 bit OS, especially if you want to get more RAM. At this point there is no good reason to stay on 32 bit unless you absolutely must run some really old software that won't run in a 64 bit environment, or you have a really old peripheral you absolutely must use that doesn't have a 64 bit driver.