Sign in with
Your question

My computer randomly freezes, plz help

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2012 12:30:27 PM

ok so here how it goes, i just brought a new psu unit and now it some times make a random clunk noise 'kinda like the noise of somthing hitting the fan (or atleast lik a clunk sound) and then my computer freezes up
and no the cords are not touching any fans at all i checked just after it happened
can some one help plz
October 3, 2012 2:26:14 PM

If the PC run fine before you brought the new PSU, then maybe the PSU is not good.

What is the brand of the new PSU?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 3:02:41 PM

The obvious thing to try would be to put another power supply in your computer to see if that fixes the problem. If trying another power supply does not fix the problem then I would try a memory test program such as memtest86 and run it for at least three passes.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 4, 2012 3:35:29 PM

One more thing to try, download and run your manufacturer of your hard drive diagnostic utility from their web site to test the hard drive. It could be the hard drive that is causing the clunk. If the hard drive is good then try another power supply.
m
l
October 5, 2012 11:59:50 AM

pjmelect said:
One more thing to try, download and run your manufacturer of your hard drive diagnostic utility from their web site to test the hard drive. It could be the hard drive that is causing the clunk. If the hard drive is good then try another power supply.

i will try as i have been suspecting a possible hard drive problem
m
l
October 6, 2012 7:00:45 AM

and i have some additional information.
when it freezes, 5 seconds later the pc does a restart
m
l
!