I can only get 1 display working in 3 mon eyefinity setup

valisun

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Hey guys can use some help.

I have 3 yamasaki catleap monitors, they only have 1 dvi port each and support up to 2560 1440 resolution.

I can only get one monitor working at a time using a dvi to dvi cable.

dvi to hdmi, or dvi to dvi with minidisplay adapter does not work, I get no signal.

I'm using this adapter btw

http://www.frys.com/product/6443962?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The adapter doesn't have to be a better one that supports higher resolution to it does it? I thought I could use use lower resolution with that adapter. But even if that's the reason that doesn't explain why my dvi to hdmi doesn't work..

I have two radeon 7950's btw. They each have 2 minidisplay, 1 dvi, 1 hdmi. I'm trying to plug it all in the same vid card (right way right) but putting cables in both cards doesn't work either.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Eyefinity is supposed to work only when one of your monitors is connected using Displayport. Unless that has changed, that is how I have my 5870 HD with 3 monitors. Main monitor connected with Dislay Port, then the other two with DVI.

valisun

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for the response. I thought it was I can have the first two as anything and then after that I have to start going display port, but no I guess you always need to have a display port even if you only doing 2 mon..?

The thing is though I am using displayport (well minidisplay port I assume that counts right? My 7950 doesn't even have a displayport only 2 mini). I tried using both dvi to minidisplay cable (doesn't work). Then I tried using dvi to dvi cable with a minidisplay active adapter and that doesn't work. Not even when its the only monitor connected to the card...

Could really use some help have no idea why its not working :/

valisun

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
For those who may have the same problem as me, it turns out I needed the more expensive adapter (90 bucks) that supports up to 2560x1600 resolution. So even if you don't plan on using the max resolution, if your monitor supports it I guess you got to opt for the expensive one.

revro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
so i can use the cheaper single link displayport if i use only 3 1920x1080 lcd monitors?
and what about 120hz monitors? do i need to have the more expensive one so i can use lcds in 120hz mode?

thank you
revro

valisun

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Sorry reply is late just noticed your post now.

You will still need an "active" adapter (assuming you are using 3 dvi monitors and need a display port adapter). These will run $30 bucks. If your graphics card is like mines (7950) and only has 1 dvi por and 2 minidisplay ports, you will actually need two adapters. One monitor will connect directly to dvi and the other two will need an adapter.

However you won't need the more expensive active adapter (which is like $60-$100) which supports up resolutions up to 2540 x 1600 (or whatever the #'s are). The basic ones will cover up to like 1920 x 1200.

For those who have high resolution monitors like mines, in addition to the fancy adapter you will also need to make sure you dvi cable can support the high resolution as well. I didn't even know cables had max resolutions but the more I go along my eyefinity set up the more I find out how less I know lol. Your monitor will probably come with the right cable already but if not make sure you buy the right one, most dvi cables you will find onine are the basic ones which won't support the high resolution and you got to buy the special one, but they're cheap at monoprice.com