DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
My computer is 800mmx Pentium 111 laptop. I upgraded to windows xp. Memory ram 384 No problems no error message. My computer started to malfunction, batteries wouldnt hold charge telephony stopped working, system files randomly go missing. Also the hard drive makes a grinding noise and sometimes the serial port does not work.There are no viruses. I sent it to Phillips Priority1 warranty service and they said there is a compatibility problem with xp. I ran all the diagnostics etc and no problems there. No conflicts in services etc. Checked auto exec bat and win inis again no issues.Phillips also told me xp only works on pentium 4. They told me you can only have one internet provider or a dsl line and that you can overheat your computer by using it too much. How can I combat this they have held my computer hostage for three weeks now and I am supposed to have on site or 48 hour turn around time. If any one can help Please I am desparate thanks!

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Phillips also told me xp only works on pentium 4.

Geez, I guess I am a genius, since I'm running XP on both an Athlon XP and a Duron! And I should tell Compaq, HP, etc. to stop selling all those Celerons with XP pre-loaded, too!

They told me you can only have one internet provider or a dsl line

Bull. How does setting up multiple internet connections have anything to do with corrupt files, batteries dying, and hard drive noise?

and that you can overheat your computer by using it too much.

How do they define too much? Don't most manufacturers do a 72-hour burn-in on newly built systems? Wouldn't that be running it "too much?"

I would demand that they return the system to you, "fixed" or not. Then run the restore CD(s) that came with your system and go back to your original system configuration. If that fixes your problems, then maybe there are compatibility issues with your laptop and XP. I remember there being some complaints about the Pentium III's with Speedstep overheating in laptops, but a Windows patch supposedly took care of it. If after the restore, the problems are still there, you've got other issues with the computer, and you should send it back to the manufacturer in its restored state for possible repair or replacement.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers' warranties are voided if you change the system's pre-installed OS.

DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Thanks for taking the time to resond to this. Your suggestions and points are excellent.I will definitely follow up this way!

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
They are !@$!!@#ing with you.

A computer will run 24/7 365 days a year without problems. You can have as many isp's as a routing table will hold.
Windows xp will actually run on a pentium II...just slow.

The next time you talk to them, skip the BS and ask for a supervisor. Tell him what you just posted here. If he's worth a crap he'll go fire whoever said it.

DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Thanks
We are actually on our third supervisor at Phillips..kind of scary! That is why I decided to post because I know i am going to have to do something else if it comes back and I wanted to be sure this was bad info they were giving me.Appreciate the info on the routing tables this will come in useful

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
they are full of it, xp runs on a k6-2 (allbeit not briliantly), 2 of my pc's are on 24/7/356, and as for only having one isp well what a bunch of fúckwitts they must be, ask, out of interest how long you are allowed to leave the pc on in one session, and how long you need to leave it off inbetween, also ask if they have a free alarm built in to tell you when your session is about to expire!!

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Hi
Thanks for all the help... I removed all identifing tags and faxed all of the opinions to Phillips first assistant to the president. They are going to handle it from head quarters. My husband is running xp too and a lot of the info in these posts helped me fix up his machine Thanks