Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best graphics card for 300w?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2012 7:06:29 PM

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card since I've been wanting to play these new games that I bought but stupid me didn't check the requirements and I can barely run the games at a decent FPS :p . I'd like to run the games smoothly (Hoping for at least a 30 FPS), but at low settings.

I'm currently using a AMD ATI Radeon HD 5570, and have no idea what my computer can run :/  I'm using a Gateway DX4840-15c, or at least that's what the label says. I bought it at Future Shop (Was it refurbished :o  I didn't know much) but I can't really find it on the site anymore. It's exactly the same as the DX4840-03c from what I see however.

The power supply is a Lite-On ps-6301-08a, and I'm considering upgrading it if it isn't capable of upgrading my graphics card. My budget for the video card is probably around $150. Thanks again in advanced!

EDIT: Just read the sticky. Sorry that I didn't use the right format!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 2 weeks. My budget is $100-150 before rebates.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [Games: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, ArmA 2: CO, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Just Cause 2, Metro 2033, Max Payne 3, etc), then surfing the web.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 5570 and Lite-On ps-6301-08a

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel i5 650, unsure about MoBo, 6gb DDR3 memory

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'd prefer to get my supplies at Canada Computer because I know somebody who can get me a pretty hefty discount (10-25% off)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Only thing I'd like is for the card to be designed by Sapphire (For radeon) or EVGA (NVIDIA)

OVERCLOCKING: No

Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Uncertain (Most likely no)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: It absolutely has to be 1920x1080 for me :p 

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Not too picky :)  Will only be using one monitor, doesn't really need warranty

More about : graphics card 300w

August 12, 2012 7:20:26 PM

You might want to try out either the AMD Radeon 7750 or 7770. Not sure if the 7770 will work on you PSU, but im pretty sure the 7750 will.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 7:20:42 PM

With that video card, you'll be able to run a 7750 no problem. You MAY even be able to get by with a 7770 if your power supply has a PCI-E power adapter, since the TDP of the 7770 is only 80 watts, 5 watt over the PCI-E maximum.

From your favourite retailer:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...

Check the 12 volt rail on your PSU by looking at its label, and calculate exactly how much power is there on the 12 volt rail (Modern GPUs run off of this rail). If you got enough juice or you plan to upgrade PSU (check form factor first, very important for brand name boxes, they don't always use standard ATX, could be Flex ATX, or 1U, 2U):

Related resources
August 12, 2012 8:19:19 PM

Maxx_Power said:
With that video card, you'll be able to run a 7750 no problem. You MAY even be able to get by with a 7770 if your power supply has a PCI-E power adapter, since the TDP of the 7770 is only 80 watts, 5 watt over the PCI-E maximum.

From your favourite retailer:

Check the 12 volt rail on your PSU by looking at its label, and calculate exactly how much power is there on the 12 volt rail (Modern GPUs run off of this rail). If you got enough juice or you plan to upgrade PSU (check form factor first, very important for brand name boxes, they don't always use standard ATX, could be Flex ATX, or 1U, 2U):

I'm not sure if this information is what you wanted, but from reading the label, it says:

DC OUTPUT: -12V / 0.5A MAX. There are two others containing 12V which are (+12V1 / 10A MAX) and (+12V2 / 13A MAX). I'm not sure what a PCI-E is, but is it a requirement for the 7750 as well? because I'm perfectly fine with the 7750 from the specifications I've seen :)  Another issue that I'm worried about is the size of the case being too small to fit the graphics card. Everyone tells me that the 5570 is an exceptionally small card, and from website descriptions, my case is classified as a Mini towering case.

Pictures:

a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 8:45:25 PM

JoshyHC said:
I'm not sure if this information is what you wanted, but from reading the label, it says:

DC OUTPUT: -12V / 0.5A MAX. There are two others containing 12V which are (+12V1 / 10A MAX) and (+12V2 / 13A MAX). I'm not sure what a PCI-E is, but is it a requirement for the 7750 as well? because I'm perfectly fine with the 7750 from the specifications I've seen :)  Another issue that I'm worried about is the size of the case being too small to fit the graphics card. Everyone tells me that the 5570 is an exceptionally small card, and from website descriptions, my case is classified as a Mini towering case.

Pictures:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2qxygw9.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/1e7wad.jpg

Mini tower in your case means that you have a matx (or equivalent) sized motherboard with a case that fits only matx boards. It looks like a standard ATX PSu in terms of size, so you can easily upgrade it. To be sure, upload a shot of the computer from the back.

Great pictures. The top shot of your PSu tells you that you have maximum of 20A combined over 2 12 volt rails, based on your current loads on the computer, I'd say you'll be okay with a 7770. However, let's play it safe:

1) Get a 7750 like the one I linked.

or

2) Get a decent (but not expensive) power supply to upgrade once we confirm it'll fit. Then a nice 7770. That Asus 7770 is on sale right now and if you get that discount from CC, you'll be able to toss in a decent power supply like this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=65317&vpn=PP...

That's a really good deal on that PSU, it is modular and Seasonic made, but make sure you have enough length clearance to fit that PSU, it is a bit longer than standard PSUs. because it is modular, I have one of those if you need some length measurements.
August 12, 2012 9:16:08 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Mini tower in your case means that you have a matx (or equivalent) sized motherboard with a case that fits only matx boards. It looks like a standard ATX PSu in terms of size, so you can easily upgrade it. To be sure, upload a shot of the computer from the back.

Great pictures. The top shot of your PSu tells you that you have maximum of 20A combined over 2 12 volt rails, based on your current loads on the computer, I'd say you'll be okay with a 7770. However, let's play it safe:

1) Get a 7750 like the one I linked.

or

2) Get a decent (but not expensive) power supply to upgrade once we confirm it'll fit. Then a nice 7770. That Asus 7770 is on sale right now and if you get that discount from CC, you'll be able to toss in a decent power supply like this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=65317&vpn=PP...

That's a really good deal on that PSU, it is modular and Seasonic made, but make sure you have enough length clearance to fit that PSU, it is a bit longer than standard PSUs. because it is modular, I have one of those if you need some length measurements.

I think I'd be fine with the 7750 for now :)  It seems like a strong enough card to last me a long time! But I really want to be certain this card will be compatible with my computer xD My motherboard and case to be specific. My motherboard is an H57H-AM2 motherboard, which I think is an intel express? Not too sure about my case, but it looks like it can hold a 7750. Do you happen to know the physical size of it? Thanks again for all this help!

Edit: I see that the 7750 is a pretty thick card compared to my 5570. I'm not sure if it'll fit because my wireless card is in the way.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 11:36:52 PM

JoshyHC said:
I think I'd be fine with the 7750 for now :)  It seems like a strong enough card to last me a long time! But I really want to be certain this card will be compatible with my computer xD My motherboard and case to be specific. My motherboard is an H57H-AM2 motherboard, which I think is an intel express? Not too sure about my case, but it looks like it can hold a 7750. Do you happen to know the physical size of it? Thanks again for all this help!

Edit: I see that the 7750 is a pretty thick card compared to my 5570. I'm not sure if it'll fit because my wireless card is in the way.

Yeah, it is a H57 chipset, meant for Clarkdale generation Core i-somethings.

You can get a thin profile (single slot) 7750. Can you move your wireless card down a slot or so ? It looks like you got at least 1 more slot underneath it...

Also, as a related recommendation, you can install a case fan at the rear, and open up 2 slots of those PCI metal covers when you install the new videocard, it should help to keep the card and the entire computer cool and happy.
August 12, 2012 11:44:52 PM

Best answer selected by JoshyHC.
August 12, 2012 11:45:12 PM

Thanks! I've found all that I needed :)  Thanks so much!
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 11:50:25 PM

JoshyHC said:
Thanks! I've found all that I needed :)  Thanks so much!

No problem! Enjoy.
!