Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Power Supply Needs

Last response: in Components
Share
February 16, 2013 1:49:38 PM

I'm needing to replace a junk xtreme gear power supply from a cyberware pc. Currently it is 800 watts and I was thinking about replacing it with a decent brand 800 watt power supply but I just wanted to make sure that I even needed that much juice. I don't really plan on altering it much or running any dual setups. Specs are as follows

Video Card:EVGA NVIDIA SUPERCLOCK GEFORCE GTX TI 2GB 16X PCIE
Sound Card: ASUS XONAR DG 5.1 CHANNELS PCI XONAR DG SOUND CARD
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LE INTELL X 79 QUAD 3 WAY SLI SATA 3 USB 3.0 LGA 2011
CD: BLACK SAMSUNG 24X DVDRW
NEON LIGHT: RED COLD CATHLOD 12' NEON LIGHT
FAN: 120 MM CASE FAN, ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER
RAM: 4 GB CORSAIR XMS 1866 MHZ DDR4
HARD DRIVE: 2 TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200 RPM 64 MB CACHE 3.5"
PROCESSOR: INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ 10M LGA RETAIL

Also if anyone notices something about this build that might give me problems input would be most apperciated.

More about : power supply

a c 288 ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 2:57:51 PM

deathdamian said:
I'm needing to replace a junk xtreme gear power supply from a cyberware pc. Currently it is 800 watts and I was thinking about replacing it with a decent brand 800 watt power supply but I just wanted to make sure that I even needed that much juice. I don't really plan on altering it much or running any dual setups. Specs are as follows

Video Card:EVGA NVIDIA SUPERCLOCK GEFORCE GTX TI 2GB 16X PCIE
Sound Card: ASUS XONAR DG 5.1 CHANNELS PCI XONAR DG SOUND CARD
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 LE INTELL X 79 QUAD 3 WAY SLI SATA 3 USB 3.0 LGA 2011
CD: BLACK SAMSUNG 24X DVDRW
NEON LIGHT: RED COLD CATHLOD 12' NEON LIGHT
FAN: 120 MM CASE FAN, ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER
RAM: 4 GB CORSAIR XMS 1866 MHZ DDR4
HARD DRIVE: 2 TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200 RPM 64 MB CACHE 3.5"
PROCESSOR: INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ 10M LGA RETAIL

Also if anyone notices something about this build that might give me problems input would be most apperciated.


Hi - need to know exact gpu (only listed evga gtx ti)model #. Even before you furnish that,
if you are using only 1 gpu, then no need for anything close to 800w. Much better
off with a quality unit in the range your sys requires. If you SLI, then it'll be
a diff story, but still might not req 800w.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 3:45:00 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - need to know exact gpu (only listed evga gtx ti)model #. Even before you furnish that,
if you are using only 1 gpu, then no need for anything close to 800w. Much better
off with a quality unit in the range your sys requires. If you SLI, then it'll be
a diff story, but still might not req 800w.


Sorry got a little carried away typing XD its a EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 TI superclocked.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 288 ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 4:13:30 PM

deathdamian said:
Sorry got a little carried away typing XD its a EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 TI superclocked.


Hi - OK. That sys will run fine on a quality 500w unit (actually 450, but liquid cooling
suggests OC, and led light's, etc). I'd recommend a quality 550w unit, 650w if
you plan on adding a 2nd gpu for SLI.

I'll recommend some of each, and a quality 750w that's priced
better than some 650's:

What's your budget?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 4:24:33 PM

whats your budget?

m
0
l
a c 288 ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 4:27:09 PM

deathdamian said:
Sorry got a little carried away typing XD its a EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 TI superclocked.



Quality 550w if you stay with one gpu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $83 - modular version $12 more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $90 & modular

650's - SLI capable(4 pci-e connectors):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $95-modular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $125 - modular & ex unit

750w units:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $118 - platinum

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $115 - modular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $120 - gold - modular


these are all quality units, can't go wrong depending on your needs & budget




m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 4:28:39 PM

nice list +1

m
0
l
February 16, 2013 4:59:56 PM

iceclock said:
whats your budget?

My budget is somewhere near 100
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 5:03:45 PM

are you gonna consider crossfire or nvidia sli?

m
0
l
February 16, 2013 5:11:17 PM

i have to agree with iceclock +1
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 5:22:26 PM

HoboCannibaL said:
i found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it costs a few dollars for shipping and doesn't have many reviews but its bronze certified and modular

i'd still spend more for a better psu, skimping on that part is not recommended (imo)



That's the cx, which is the low entry level of the corsair series, it's decent, but there're better ones out there, unless you're planning to do a 3-way SLI, a 650W psu will do for 2-way SLI, for a single 660 ti 450-500W will do.
So check for a semi-modular psu from the rosewill capstone series, like the 650M or SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM.
m
0
l
February 16, 2013 5:32:42 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone I'll pick one out monday
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 6:00:04 PM

yep
m
0
l
February 17, 2013 2:08:58 AM

Thanks again everyone for the quick replies. This is my first big computer investment and the help is most apperciated.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 3:08:48 AM

anytime dude :) 

m
0
l
!