Sign in with
Your question

Whatt Psu should I get, what wattage?

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2013 2:04:32 PM

My build up to date is this:

- SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support

- Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA

- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s

- Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler

- ZALMAN Z9 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I'm not exactly sure what power supply to get for this build, I would love if someone would tell me the wattage and provide links to all product recomendations. I am a first time builder and I need some assistance.

More about : whatt psu wattage

February 16, 2013 8:57:11 PM

Actually, my brother's build is very much like yours. The PSU I used was this one: very good, fully modular and very eficient (cheap also) even the 500W version is enough for you :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 7:35:56 AM

OF the two, get the XFX if possible. It is built by Seasonic, one of the best manufacturers around.
m
l
February 17, 2013 11:31:42 AM

Quote:
It's not about wattage. It's about 12v rail amperage (or rather, the wattage on the 12v rail).

Also, the 7850 is a relatively power light card, and even the most power hungry single GPU systems would be hard pressed to ever use more than 400w of power. Especially given that you are on Ivy Bridge, even with high end overclocks, anything over 350w for your PSU is overkill, basically.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1863/12/

The reason manufacturer's recommend such high wattage and amperage, is to cover their behinds because of the many low quality PSUs out there, that have high wattage specs but very low wattage on their 12v rail. So a low quality 700w psu, in reality will provide less 12v rail amperage or wattage, than a quality 350w psu.

It's about quality, not quantity.

I'd recommend the Antec Neo Eco series for a lower priced PSU with high quality. Should be around $40 for a 350w+ model. High quality parts, so nothing like capacitor aging, high ripple, bad transcience over time, weak voltage regulator, etc.

I would strongly recommend against the OCZ Modstream. You basically have to know more about power supplies to really pick one out, wattage does not tell you anything about the quality of a PSU or frankly, what it's true output on the 12v rail is. Some PSUs will tell you the amperage on the 12v rail, but that won't tell you if the PSU has a decent voltage regulator that can handle a transition into said 12v rail amperage load.

Yeah, but if you buy a good 350W PSU and run it always at ~300W it will die much quicker than a good 500W running at ~300W. Also the OCZ Modstream does pretty well, it's cheap, lasts ages and is fully modular which for me is a must! it can also deliver almost it's entire wattage to the 12v rail :) 
m
l
a c 715 ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 1:43:21 AM

Quote:
Completely untrue.

First off, your build will push barely over 100w on idle and low load. Even at 'full load', like gaming or running stressful programs, you might be at 80% CPU and 20% GPU, or 60% CPU and 80% GPU. Very, very rarely will you push past 90/90 on both CPU and GPU. So even a heavy computing day or gaming day, you might accumulate an hour of time over 300w after 24 hours of gaming.

Secondly, a high quality PSU running at 300w of 350w, would be no problem. Capacitor aging, transistor expansions, these things are only an issue with a low quality PSU using chinese electrolytic capacitors, some weak solder.... You can run a high quality PSU at 90% all the time on compute workloads and it should last 5+ years with no problem, which is a lot more than you can say for most PSUs on general usage.

The OCZ modstream is a very mediocre PSU. I don't think you really understand enough about power supplies to be giving out such bad advice, if you recommend such a mediocre PSU. I'd be much more comfortable Folding 24/7 on an Antec Neo Eco or FSP or Seasonic 350w, than an OCZ modstream 700w.

People need to stop recommending hardware simply because it's what they bought and it isn't blowing out on their single gpu system that they don't put anywhere near the limit and have had for maybe a year or few.

Quote:
Why not go with a Gold rated one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817182068 Even the 450watt version would be enough for your rig.

Because it's overpriced, ratings don't mean anything (the way they test for ratings, is done in house rather than by an independent arbiter so Rosewill emailing some stats in totally unrealistic conditions and very low temperatures, does not reflect how a psu will work in the real world, which is much more stressful than the rating tests.

The Rosewill Captstone 450/550w have a reputation for being terrible PSUs, and for good reason.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5698/rosewill-capstone-45...
m
l
!