AMD should release some Hammer benchmarks

Corona999

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
They might as well give us a taste at what we've been waiting for. AMD needs to show us the light at the end of this dark tunnel. They may even increase the value of their shares.

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
At this point, the silicon is still in beta form. There may be some things that don't work optimally. The benchmarks may not show it as great as it would be and AMD doesn't want dissappointed fans who would just stop waiting because of the lower-than-expected performance.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
The value of their shares will end at the same price once the Hammer sees the light. Show some benchmarks would be an (if its) intermediate point. So doesn't matter.

And also, I'm quiet upset with "paper launch aproach", so don't give me more of something that is quarters ahead. I want CPUs!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
A mounth and a half ago or so an AMD personal said that if you want to see some Hammer benchmarks wait for the Microprocessor Forum. which will be held from the 14 to 17 of october. just a few days away.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
The Prescott and Clawhammer will be about the same speed. Neither AMD nor Intel want's to eliminate the other. It is AMD's and Intel's desire to stay in business for as long as possible. That is to say, they release cpu's in the spirit of competition, not annihilation.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It create some spirit energie in the overclocker market each try to beat the others.

Presscot vs hammer

But nothing really change except now it amd who must fight for support from the OEM and ISV

Now what to do??

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
"But nothing really change except now it amd who must fight for support from the OEM and ISV"

I agree. In a related note, can AMD provide enough CPUs to support Dell and others who use just one cpu brand?

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
AMD says dresden at full throtle can produce 50 million CPUs a year - thats about 1/3 and even more then the total count of PC CPUs sold in a year.
So the answer is probably...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

eden

Champion
But they'd have to dedicate almost all the fab just for one OEM, doubtful. What they need is indeed a temporary setback with a certain OEM, to rake money, THEN use that money for a new fab. They desperatly need to spend money for future profits, into more equipment. Their productivity is at an all-time low with technology that's backfiring.

I didn't know AMD planned to show benches at the Microprocessor forum, that should prove to be interesting, wonder why no one even mentioned it, or even shouted!

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>