Sign in with
Your question

Video to hook up a rear projection tv to a pc

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2013 2:42:27 PM

I bought a Panasonic PT-61DLX76-K Multimedia Projection HDTV . This tv is about 4 yrs old .I can hook up my lap top to the tv just using a hdmi. cord . Ihook up to either my (hdmi-port 1 or port 2 on my tv) and get ! 100% video and audio . This is very nice, however I would like to hook up my pc to this tv and I do not have anyone who who knows eactly how to do this. Icould realy use some help in this matter. Is there someone who can help me ???

More about : video hook rear projection

a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 4:19:42 PM

I'm looking at a manual here:

https://panasonic.ca/viewing/NA/PT-56DLX76-K/OI/LSQF108...

See page 11 for a diagram of the connectors on the back. To connect your PC to this TV, start by examining what outputs your PC has available. In order of preference, these could be:

1. An HDMI output, either from your mobo or from an added video card. For this, do virtually the same thing you've already done from your laptop. Connect the HDMI cable from PC to TV - HDMI1 input is at upper right of the input panel. If you do this, there is one additional thing you might need to do. If the HDMI output is part of a added-on video card, that card should have its own audio output chip separate from any sound card or mobo audio chip. Now Windows can only output audio using ONE device. So, you need to go into Windows and set that. Click on Start at bottom left, then Control Panel, and in that click on Sounds and Audio Devices. Click the Audio tab and then the down-arrow for the Default Device. In that menu choose the audio output system on your video card, then exit back out. On the other hand, IF the HDMI output is part of your mobo's back panel, it is likely that it already has its audio feed from some mobo device and you may not need to change it.

2. No HDMI, but a DVI output from a video card. Two sub-options emerge here.
(a) The trick is that the original "standard" DVI output did not have any audio on it. In that case, get an adapter that converts the DVI port to an HDMI port and use a standard HDMI cable to connect the video signal to the TV's HDMI1 port. (This works because although the connector configurations are different, the electrical signals for DVI and HDMI video are identical, so the adapter merely needs to connect the proper pins.) That leaves you with no audio. Now you need a cable that will plug into your PC's stereo audio output socket and ends in a pair of RCA-type plugs to feed audio into the TV. These plug into the HDMI Audio In 1 connectors at bottom centre of the panel. In this case, Windows should be set to use the normal audio output device that feeds its output port.
(b) IF this is a card based on ATI video chip, (and quite possibly from an nVidia chip), that video card may well have its own audio chip AND have those audio signals added to the DVI output connector in a slightly non-standard configuration. In this case you need a particular kind of adapter plug to convert DVI to HDMI, BUT ensure that the adapter DOES pass through the non-standard audio signals. Then you use a standard HDMI cable connected just like option 1 above, and make the setting in Windows for audio device. This time you do not need a separate audio cable.

3. No HDMI or DVI, but your PC has Component Video out? That is a set of three RCA connectors usually labelled Y, PB/CB, and PR/CR. These are three parts of a high-quality video signal, and you need a cable that has three cables together, each with RCA connectors at both ends. Matching up colour codes, you plug the three at one end into the Component Video outputs of your PC, and the other end into the Component Video Input 1 (Component connectors) on the TV's back panel at bottom centre. Then you get one of those audio connection cables I mentioned above in 2(a) and connect from PC to the TV's Component Video Input 1 (Audio connectors) point right next to the video cable you just plugged in. Windows' audio output device should be just the "normal" one.

4. None of the output options above on your PC? Then I assume you do have a standard 15-pin VGA output connector. Get a VGA cable and connect this to the TV's PC IN connector at lower right of the panel. Now get an audio cable and connect from PC's Audio Out to the TV's single Audio In right next to the VGA connector. This time it appears the TV has a different Audio In connector that uses a stereo tip/ring/sleeve 3.5 mm connector, rather that 2 separate RCA connectors, so the audio connection cable you use is a little different.

One principle is involved above. On the TV, each type of Video In port has a corresponding Audio In port associated with it. (Well, HDMI may have the audio on the HDMI cable.) When you choose which Video Input on the TV is being used (via the TV's remote control and menus), it also sets which audio signal connectors it will use. So, if you have to connect separate video and audio cables from PC to TV, the audio cable must be plugged into the correct TV port that matches the video port you used.

Edit: I realize I did not comment on Option 5: S-Video and Stereo Audio, or on Option 6: Composite Video and Stereo Audio. Both of these are of lower quality than the 4 options above, and I assumed you can use one of those 4 anyway. If you need details for 5 or 6, let us know.
m
l
!