What is your favourite brand? Why?

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Hi guys,
I currently have a cheap SDRAM module equipped with 256Mb of NEC chips which cannot handle any sort of BIOS tune-up that has influence on the RAM speed... It's time to change, and I am thinking about buying a 512Mb module CAS 2 PC-133 (or more... PC150?)... I have an ASUS CUSL-2C and one of those "EB" P!!!s that use a 133MHz FSB... (I am planning to do some heavy overclocking - I need GOOD GOOD memory!!!)
What brand should I get guys? Why sould I get that brand?
Please share with me your opinions and help me make the right decision...

Thnx

Treppiede

PS=I haven't had the time lately to keep up with the SDRAM evolution... what is this PC150 that I see on pricewatch.com? should I consider it? what's the difference with PC133... only the bus speed that can handle? thnx

A television may insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in
like a computer.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
PC150 is basically RAM that's been tested capable of supporting 150mhz, analogous to how PC133 is tested capable of support 133mhz.
I recommend Crucial.com's RAM - out of all my experience, they're the cheapest in good quality RAM. They tend to have very high overclockability.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
...thnx guys, I always thought Crucial was a candidate...

...anybody else...?

like a computer.

G

Did anyone mention Crucial! :wink:

I recommend it.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Well guys... you convinced me, and here I am on another window browsing Crucial.com pages... but guess what!
It seems they don't make a SDRAM module PC-133 512Mb CAS 2!!! Please reply this thread and tell me that I am wrong...
I cannot find anything else that SDRAM 512Mb modules CAS 3...
Any other advise?

thnx again...

like a computer.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
kingmax is also pretty good.

they have these 256Mb PC150 modules that are so small and cute! :)

reasons?
affordable, always overclockable, and readily available in australia.

cept for a little while with my new mobo...
was trying to work out why it was dropping out on me while doing 150 @ cas 2,2,2. eventually worked out the old mobo's 3.3V line was set to 3.56! so i upped the voltage by 5% using a jumper and all was fine again :)
p.s. official specs for PC150 are cas3,3,2.
and im doing 2,2,2,5, 4 way interleave. very hard mem settings

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

Overfloating

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
Yeah yeah everyone is such big supporters of crucial. I agree that it is great ram for a great price. But for the overclocking mind no one can touch Corsair. Sure you gotta pay a few extra bucks but if you want the best for ocing no one beats it. Also they offer Cas 2 512 sticks. For the average user go with Crucial, for heavy ocing go with Corsair.

G

I would recomend PNY www.PNY.com Read all about them also go to a benchmarking site like www.the-labs.com to see what they are doing and if not thier try another benchmark site

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
uhm... thnx to you too labplant1, but I used to work in the Tech dept of a big stupid computer company known as C***USA... and trust me, PNY is good for a home user... nothing more... unless they've pulled out new modules in the past two weeks... I also checked out Corsair.com... they got the memory I am looking for, now I am undecided whether to get the PC150 512Mb CAS 3 (or CAS 2 @ PC133) or go for the PC133 CAS 2... what if they are the same damn module? *SIGH* I can't sleep... ;o)

like a computer.

G

That last post presents a good question...
Are you more likely to get a PC150 512Mb CAS 3 module to run at CAS 2 or a PC133 CAS 2 to module to run at 150MHz...I don't know which is more likely, but I bet if you buy the Corsair you'll have no problem doing either. ;)
I'd go with the PC133 CAS 2 and try to get is to 150Mhz, because 133Mhz CAS 2 is faster than 150Mhz CAS 3, in the event your venture fails.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

Overfloating

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
I will guarantee the you can get PC 133 Cas 2 Corsair sticks running at PC 150 with no trouble at all. I have 2, 256 meg sticks Cas 2 PC 133 running at PC 150 with no problems at all. I would be running higher but my damn KT133 chipset doesn't like my FSB to be over 112.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
CL2/CAS2 by Micron is probably your best bet. Corsair is also a good choice. Either way you FSB will be the bottleneck not the memory if you try to overclock the entire system.

I say use the Micron.

<b>
Ferris Bueller your my hero.
</b> :lol: