Win98 patterns

I have forgotten how to use Win98 like patterns for the XP Desktop, like
bricks for instance, so that the background of the desktop can be a
little more attractive than a plain color. I have done it on a machine,
but impossible to remember. It is probably no more complicate than a
simple copy of file but ... Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
--
John Doue
5 answers Last reply

    John Doue wrote:
    > I have forgotten how to use Win98 like patterns for the XP Desktop,
    > like bricks for instance, so that the background of the desktop can
    > be a little more attractive than a plain color. I have done it on a
    > machine, but impossible to remember. It is probably no more
    > complicate than a simple copy of file but ... Does anyone have an
    > idea?
    >
    > Thanks

    All you need to do is place a copy of those 98 images in the Windows\Web\Wallpaper folder in XP. This will make them available when you select a new wallpaper for the desktop.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Ronnie Vernon MVP wrote:

    > John Doue wrote:
    >
    >>I have forgotten how to use Win98 like patterns for the XP Desktop,
    >>like bricks for instance, so that the background of the desktop can
    >>be a little more attractive than a plain color. I have done it on a
    >>machine, but impossible to remember. It is probably no more
    >>complicate than a simple copy of file but ... Does anyone have an
    >>idea?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >

    > All you need to do is place a copy of those 98 images in the Windows\Web\Wallpaper folder in XP. This will make them available when you select a new wallpaper for the desktop.

    Thanks Ronnie. Two things: I am not interested in Wallpapers (I use for
    that fonction a bmp file I created) but only in Patterns so that I can
    customize the area outside the wallpaper. I cannot figure out what files
    of 98 correspond to the choice offered when in 98 I select a pattern.
    The resulting selection appears to show in the Control.ini file but does
    not help me identify further the file(s) I am looking for.

    I realize that since the choice of patterns in not offered in XP,
    changing from one to the other will not be simple. Actually, I found a
    shareware that allow me to do just that. But I still would prefer to be
    able to do what any additional software.

    Regards

    --
    John Doue

    if u have win98 and win xp simaltaneously installed in ur system, then
    while chosing wallpaper, click Browse and navigate to the folder where
    win98 wallpapers are stored. Otherwise, u will have to do what Ronnie
    Vernon said...

    --
    who_is_genius
    who_is_genius's Profile: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/member.php?u=1218

    The Tech SuperSite for India - www.techenclave.com

    John,

    Some insight offered here:

    [VP} - Desktop/General/Windowmetrics/Patterns:
    http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/iframes/patterns.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:

    > John,
    >
    > Some insight offered here:
    >
    > [VP} - Desktop/General/Windowmetrics/Patterns:
    > http://www.virtualplastic.net/html/iframes/patterns.html

    Thanks, this is most interesting.

    Best regards
    --
    John Doue

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP