Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Continuous or non-Continuous?

Last response: in Components
February 16, 2013 2:57:41 PM

Hi all! So I have been lookin around for my power supply and my last thread everyone said that 650w is more than enough for my set up. So my question is, is it worth getting a continuous power supply? I understand the difference between a continuous and non continuous but I ask because I found a deal on an HX650 which is not continuous. But can't decide if it would be worth it to just find a continuous one instead.

My last thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=364765&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0"e_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

More about : continuous continuous

a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 3:20:10 PM

Continuous Power Supply would obviously be the better choice but if you're not worried about the power jolts then go with the best deal. But don't cheap out on the brand or pricing etc.

Hope I can help
m
l
February 16, 2013 5:22:15 PM

OK so does anyone have any suggestions for a continuous 650W ?? i have searched a bunch but mostly only find rosewill's. Not too sure how crazy I am about them.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 6:21:04 PM

depends on what you wanna do. im unshur but i think one of those two type of powersupply is used for servers. and that would be continious if im not mistaken.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 7:26:03 PM

HBchevelle68 said:
Hi all! So I have been lookin around for my power supply and my last thread everyone said that 650w is more than enough for my set up. So my question is, is it worth getting a continuous power supply? I understand the difference between a continuous and non continuous but I ask because I found a deal on an HX650 which is not continuous. But can't decide if it would be worth it to just find a continuous one instead.

My last thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=364765&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0"e_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

You say you understand the difference in continuous and non continuous. I understand continuous to mean what the power supply can put out all the time. I understand non continuous to mean the peak power. http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/Events/us/Continuous_Po...

The Corsair 650W is continuous at 650W. They do not advertise peak power like some companies. What do you think it means?
m
l
February 16, 2013 8:30:05 PM

Yes i understand what it means I was just unaware that all corsair's are continuous. To me it doesn't make sense why all other companies advertise their continuous power supplies and corsair doesn't, but I am a noob to the world of PC building so I will have to do some more research.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 16, 2013 8:41:53 PM

HBchevelle68 said:
Yes i understand what it means I was just unaware that all corsair's are continuous. To me it doesn't make sense why all other companies advertise their continuous power supplies and corsair doesn't, but I am a noob to the world of PC building so I will have to do some more research.

Any reputable company will advertise their continuous power. It is the generic manufacturers who don't care about their product that will advertise their non-continuous power or significantly add their 3.3V and 5V to get a higher rating.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 2:09:48 AM

interesting.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 7:46:41 PM

Quote:
650w psu for your build is ludicrious and the replies you got in that thread are clearly from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

While AMD is extremely power hungry, Vishera/Piledriver is a lot better than Bulldozer in power consumption.

A quality 500w psu would be more than enough. It's about quality, not quantity. You don't need a 650w psu, you need something with around 12v@38+. There was a guy in your thread that gave some good advice, but you seemed to ignore him (although his recommendation of a cx430 was not great, that's a little bit low on the power supply, it should be enough, but the problem is that it's not a great psu).

I would recommend an Antec Neo Eco, anything 400w+ should be fine.

Also, worry about SLI when the time comes. It's absurd to spend the money on a SLI capable PSU before you SLI. Say, a quality 700w+ psu, is much more than twice as expensive as a 350w psu. When you want to SLI, buy a high wattage PSU then, and then sell your old PSU. The whole point of building a computer is how upgradeable it is....

Be aware that SLI has a lot of issues. I dont use SLI because you can't stream with SLI, which is what I mainly do. You cant use it with windowed mode on games, which I much prefer to fullscreen (like if you have multi-monitor). There's also microstutter, and rarely are 2 x GPUs better than a single GPU at the same cost due to efficiency, drivers, and microstutter, bandwidth, VRAM, etc.

SLI/Crossfire is just not a great way to do things. I don't think anyone would ever recommend it, you are better off just selling your GPU when the time comes and buying a single GPU that's stronger, with the pocketed cash. You don't even save money doing SLI anyways, considering you aren't selling off your current GPU, so the real cost ends up being the same.

Well I take offense to your statement that I don't know what I am talking about. We were talking about a system that would have 2 7950's. A 500W power supply would not be acceptable in that situation. Just because you have a different philosophy than we do on when to buy the bigger supply does not make us ignorant. Keep your comments focused on the problem and not the people trying to help.
m
l
February 17, 2013 9:21:19 PM

Quote:
650w psu for your build is ludicrious and the replies you got in that thread are clearly from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

While AMD is extremely power hungry, Vishera/Piledriver is a lot better than Bulldozer in power consumption.

A quality 500w psu would be more than enough. It's about quality, not quantity. You don't need a 650w psu, you need something with around 12v@38+. There was a guy in your thread that gave some good advice, but you seemed to ignore him (although his recommendation of a cx430 was not great, that's a little bit low on the power supply, it should be enough, but the problem is that it's not a great psu).

I would recommend an Antec Neo Eco, anything 400w+ should be fine.

Also, worry about SLI when the time comes. It's absurd to spend the money on a SLI capable PSU before you SLI. Say, a quality 700w+ psu, is much more than twice as expensive as a 350w psu. When you want to SLI, buy a high wattage PSU then, and then sell your old PSU. The whole point of building a computer is how upgradeable it is....

Be aware that SLI has a lot of issues. I dont use SLI because you can't stream with SLI, which is what I mainly do. You cant use it with windowed mode on games, which I much prefer to fullscreen (like if you have multi-monitor). There's also microstutter, and rarely are 2 x GPUs better than a single GPU at the same cost due to efficiency, drivers, and microstutter, bandwidth, VRAM, etc.

SLI/Crossfire is just not a great way to do things. I don't think anyone would ever recommend it, you are better off just selling your GPU when the time comes and buying a single GPU that's stronger, with the pocketed cash. You don't even save money doing SLI anyways, considering you aren't selling off your current GPU, so the real cost ends up being the same.

Any suggestions other than the Neo Eco?? its discontinued. The only problem I have found is that as I get lower in wattage the quality also seems to be lower. Any suggestions would be great
m
l
February 17, 2013 9:23:34 PM

jnkweaver said:
Well I take offense to your statement that I don't know what I am talking about. We were talking about a system that would have 2 7950's. A 500W power supply would not be acceptable in that situation. Just because you have a different philosophy than we do on when to buy the bigger supply does not make us ignorant. Keep your comments focused on the problem and not the people trying to help.

I agree with you. personally I would prefer to have more W that I don;t use. Any suggestions? Thanks!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 9:48:45 PM

more about quality than wattage is important here.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 10:15:49 PM

HBchevelle68 said:
I agree with you. personally I would prefer to have more W that I don;t use. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Here is the Corsair bronze 750W with MIR $90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is the one I own a Seasonic X750 Gold modular $140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

here is the Seasonic Platinum 760W modular $191 w/shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You know which one I liked because I bought it (Actually was going to get a 650W but it was Black Friday and this one was cheaper)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 17, 2013 11:21:38 PM

budget? and full system specs.
m
l
February 18, 2013 12:09:00 AM

iceclock said:
budget? and full system specs.

Budget: <140

System:
CPU: FX-8350
MOBO: Asus Sbertooth 990fx
HEAT SINK: Thermaltake Frio overclocking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150[
GPU: EVGA 550ti 2GB
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
HDD: 2TB Western Digital
CASE: Coolermaster Haf X All 5 fan slots filled
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 2:32:58 AM

def is

m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
February 18, 2013 10:35:02 PM

650 would be good as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if u prefer but for the money 750 gives more headroom.

even 600watts would work. but i prefer recommanding more if ever u upgrade to beefier components.

650 will be fine tho

February 18, 2013 11:28:22 PM

Best answer selected by HBchevelle68.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 19, 2013 12:24:18 AM

cheers
m
l
!