Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Custom Desktops

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
February 16, 2013 3:31:15 PM

Hey guys,
I need help! If anyone's interested, view my profile and see the computer I currently use! (SONY Gaming Laptop)
I am looking to upgrade to a desktop, but I need a few answers first! & I want to custom build my desktop...
First: I play BF3 mostly, and I want to be able to run it in ultra graphics with 60+ fps... keep that in mind
What is better? A quad core i5, or a quad core i7, or even a 6 core? I know that there's a price difference... how big of a difference would I notice when gaming?
And then the motherboard... how do you tell if it's high quality? I see that Asus & Gigabyte have a good selection (based on prices).
Also, here's a debated question! What's best: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660, 660 Ti, or 670 - based on price range. I saw on one site that the best thing was to run dual GTX 660s in SLI, rather than go with the GTX 670.
And lastly - :)  is it better to have a large HDD + a small SDD, or (what I was thinking of doing) just having a 256-480 GB SDD?
If you guys can help that would be awesome!
Sam Caie

More about : custom desktops

February 16, 2013 5:31:33 PM

The i5 should be ample. If you are thimking about sli'ing then price wise maybe opt for a single 680. If it is just for gaming then a good large ssd would be my option.
m
l
February 16, 2013 5:34:14 PM

Sorry Mobo I would go Asus.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 16, 2013 5:56:52 PM

an if 3570k is the choice of all gamers now, however BF3 can utilize 6 cores, this isn't a problem though the i5 3570k is still VERY capable at playing this game you will not see much difference in gaming between an i5 and i7 i7's are mainly used for editing/rendering as these use all threads i wouldn't worry about an i7, only get the K version if you plan to OC

As for the motherboard, you will be able to tell it's high quality just by looking at the features and the chipset z77 if you plan to overclock otherwise h77 would be fine, these chipsets are for ivy bridge but they are backwards compatible but getting a sandy bridge doesn't make too much sense it's still a good option though. Asus and gigabyte are both great mobo brands

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...
take a quicklook at this

for the gpu the pros of the 670: less power, creates less noise and heat, and some programs can have issues supporting SLI but two 660's would be better, btw the 670 is about 5% slower than the 680 so i wouldn't bother getting the 680 just my opinion.

Most people would go for a small ssd say 64gb-128gb and a large hard drive, but this is generally because of the price, most people put os and important applications, the hdd would be used for games and pictures etc. i think this would be better IMO

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performan...
a c 135 à CPUs
February 16, 2013 6:07:13 PM

budget and country of origin. and tell me ur basic needs for the pc besides gaming.

m
l
a c 192 à CPUs
February 16, 2013 8:22:08 PM

ssd have a set amout of writes to them...there better off as boot os drive and few games. always want to start with a good power supply and make sure it 100w larger then you think you need. it not the total wattage that gets a new builder it the wattage the 12v leg can output. look on hardcop forum when they test power supply's..the sweet spot for a power supply on a pc is about 50 percent of it rated load. look at the tests when they do 75 and more...the amount of heat that ps makes..how stable the ps is and how clean the dc power is..the ac ripple. i see here on toms 3 or 4 postings a week where gamers say in games there pc just blanks out...(ps was over stressed and over heated and shut down). also spend some money on a good case like r300 or a nxzt case. some of these case have great cable mangamnet and are made for installing liquid cool coolers or after market coolers. some nxzt have fan controller so you can set the speed of the case fans. also if your going to toss in 2 or more case fans look to pick up some nocturla low noise and low speed 120mm case fans. there worth the 20.00 each there going for. if you do late night gaming you may want to look into a set of headphones. a lot of gamers now are getting into more then one monitor set up.
m
l
Anonymous
February 17, 2013 4:20:07 PM

902 said:
an if 3570k is the choice of all gamers now, however BF3 can utilize 6 cores, this isn't a problem though the i5 3570k is still VERY capable at playing this game you will not see much difference in gaming between an i5 and i7 i7's are mainly used for editing/rendering as these use all threads i wouldn't worry about an i7, only get the K version if you plan to OC

As for the motherboard, you will be able to tell it's high quality just by looking at the features and the chipset z77 if you plan to overclock otherwise h77 would be fine, these chipsets are for ivy bridge but they are backwards compatible but getting a sandy bridge doesn't make too much sense it's still a good option though. Asus and gigabyte are both great mobo brands

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...
take a quicklook at this

for the gpu the pros of the 670: less power, creates less noise and heat, and some programs can have issues supporting SLI but two 660's would be better, btw the 670 is about 5% slower than the 680 so i wouldn't bother getting the 680 just my opinion.

Most people would go for a small ssd say 64gb-128gb and a large hard drive, but this is generally because of the price, most people put os and important applications, the hdd would be used for games and pictures etc. i think this would be better IMO

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-upgrade-hdd-performan...

Wow thanks for this reply!
I do want a fast gaming computer, and money is not a major concern. I was considering the quad core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz (OC @ 3.9). Here's a link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
So the chipset... is the Z series good? or only a Z77? Sorry don't know lots about motherboards.
No I didn't want the GTX 680 gpu, too expensive. For Battlefield 3, would you recommend SLIing? Or would a 670 do the job?
So having just an SSD isn't a bad idea? Again, money isn't the focus... I want a fast gaming desktop. Check this link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
It's a 480 GB SDD SATA III - yeah top of the line.
OK thanks so much for your in-depth reply!
Sam
m
l
Anonymous
February 17, 2013 4:28:04 PM

iceclock said:
budget and country of origin. and tell me ur basic needs for the pc besides gaming.

OK - budget: $2000? & I'm custom building my desktop too, probably buying from TigerDirect.ca
I live in Ontario, Canada

& needs? I am a hardcore gamer, I play all the Battlefield series, all the CoD series, some Age Of Empires. Other than that: I am a map editor for games, especially BF1942, using Battlecraft 1942. It's demanding on the CPU and memory, and a little taxing my current graphics card too... (GT 520M). I use photoshop, I like using FRAPS, and other than that, nothing really except light internet use...
thanks
Sam
m
l
Anonymous
February 17, 2013 4:31:31 PM

Best answer selected by samuelcaie.
m
l
a c 135 à CPUs
February 17, 2013 9:57:45 PM

cheerios