longbeach225

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello, I'm a meteorology student who will be using graphics (weather maps) and generating them (sort of graphic design) and I wanted to know a graphic card for this work that would be appropriate. I also will be doing some video editing with Sony Vegas since I will be out chasing storms on camera. I'm not a gamer so I don't care about game ability just mainly video editing and graphic design.

longbeach225

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
The system is recently built and contains a core i7, 16 GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD drive (I have a secondary drive to store data), DVD burner, and 575 watt PSU. I'm looking to spend around 200 for a descent card, nothing extremely powerful but a card that would do.

With that budget you're stuck with the low-end solutions like Nvidia Quadro 600 or AMD Firepro V4900, both in the $150 range. I think the Firepro V4900 tends to hold the upper hand, but it varies a lot depending on the workload.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

The OP is looking for a Professional Video Card for content creation and editing, not a gaming GPU. A 6870 would be of very little help in this.

I like the FirePro Suggestion, but man that budget is pretty limited.

Here's that Firepro we mentioned http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195109

If you don't already have a system, you could also buy one based on the new Firepro APUs - basically a CPU/GPU combination. They can be combined with an add-in Firepro graphics card if you need better performance.

On their own they probably won't quite match a Firepro V4900, but since you don't need to buy a separate CPU they may deliver superior value.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

It's a good suggestion, but the OP already stated he has a system. Besides, for most work his i7 + a Firepro V4900 is more capable then an AMD FirePro APU + FirePro Discrete card.

Lol, forgot that in the meantime. An i7 costs more than the APU, but yeah it'll do fine with a Firepro V4900.