Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphic Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 12, 2012 9:51:02 PM

Hello, I'm a meteorology student who will be using graphics (weather maps) and generating them (sort of graphic design) and I wanted to know a graphic card for this work that would be appropriate. I also will be doing some video editing with Sony Vegas since I will be out chasing storms on camera. I'm not a gamer so I don't care about game ability just mainly video editing and graphic design.

More about : graphic cards

a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 10:43:02 PM

What were you looking to spend?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2012 11:38:29 PM

What's the rest of your system?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 80 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 12:12:15 AM

Nvidia Quadro 2000 can be found for under $400. If you have money to burn, there's always the Quadro 6000.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 5:54:50 AM

The system is recently built and contains a core i7, 16 GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD drive (I have a secondary drive to store data), DVD burner, and 575 watt PSU. I'm looking to spend around 200 for a descent card, nothing extremely powerful but a card that would do.
m
0
l
August 13, 2012 6:15:22 AM

longbeach225 said:
The system is recently built and contains a core i7, 16 GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD drive (I have a secondary drive to store data), DVD burner, and 575 watt PSU. I'm looking to spend around 200 for a descent card, nothing extremely powerful but a card that would do.


im going to get a radeon 6870 for $170 on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 11:51:42 AM

longbeach225 said:
The system is recently built and contains a core i7, 16 GB of RAM, 128 GB SSD drive (I have a secondary drive to store data), DVD burner, and 575 watt PSU. I'm looking to spend around 200 for a descent card, nothing extremely powerful but a card that would do.

With that budget you're stuck with the low-end solutions like Nvidia Quadro 600 or AMD Firepro V4900, both in the $150 range. I think the Firepro V4900 tends to hold the upper hand, but it varies a lot depending on the workload.
m
0
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
August 13, 2012 9:37:55 PM

If you don't already have a system, you could also buy one based on the new Firepro APUs - basically a CPU/GPU combination. They can be combined with an add-in Firepro graphics card if you need better performance.

On their own they probably won't quite match a Firepro V4900, but since you don't need to buy a separate CPU they may deliver superior value.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 3:55:43 AM

Sakkura said:
If you don't already have a system, you could also buy one based on the new Firepro APUs - basically a CPU/GPU combination. They can be combined with an add-in Firepro graphics card if you need better performance.

On their own they probably won't quite match a Firepro V4900, but since you don't need to buy a separate CPU they may deliver superior value.


It's a good suggestion, but the OP already stated he has a system. Besides, for most work his i7 + a Firepro V4900 is more capable then an AMD FirePro APU + FirePro Discrete card.
m
0
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
August 14, 2012 1:10:26 PM

stant1rm said:
It's a good suggestion, but the OP already stated he has a system. Besides, for most work his i7 + a Firepro V4900 is more capable then an AMD FirePro APU + FirePro Discrete card.

Lol, forgot that in the meantime. An i7 costs more than the APU, but yeah it'll do fine with a Firepro V4900.
m
0
l
August 14, 2012 6:06:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestion Firepro V900 looks like a good choice.
m
0
l
!