Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan help

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2012 7:37:57 PM

Hey guys I need some advice about the fans on my case. The problem is that there are two fan bays on the side of the case that have no fans attached to them. My issue with them being that they may be an entrance for dust, so I was thinking of adding some fans but am unsure of what direction they should go or covering them up (if this is your recommendation please tell me what to use). Anyways I have a diagram with the fans that show theyre location and purpose for you as well as the blank bays. Btw its a diablotek evo case if you wanna see actual pics. Thanks.

http://i46.tinypic.com/14mxcw8.png

More about : fan

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 8:06:23 PM

You have opened an epic can of worms! There is lots of debate over whether your computer case should be set up with either Positive or Negative pressure. Basically, if you have more intakes than exhausts, your case will have positive overall pressure and the air inside the case will be forced out through any small cracks/openings, and if you put filters over the intakes, you theoretically create a completely dustfree environment inside your case! (Note "theoretically") If you go for negative airflow (more exhausts than intakes, lots of air being pulled into case but also potentially dust!), additional air is sucked into your case providing higher airflow but allowing the cracks/spaces in your case to take in dust. As I stated, it is highly contested as to which route is best, although most seem to go for negative pressure. Is there a reason you want to add fans? If you are worried about dust coming in the side panel, merely buy a filter or some cheap filter material for it. Only add fans if you are worried about your ambient case temperature or if you feel you need to clear certain hot pockets inside your case. There is a chance the fans will only add more noise and provide no cooling advantage which is not desirable!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 8:26:56 PM

agree with the above.

i prefer negative pressure in an an upward and to the rear direction for better heat dissipation.

if your cooling performance is fine and you do not actually require any fans then get some metal mesh fan filters and a fan cover and place this over the hole. this allows the case to breath and reduce dust intake.

a pc case will almost always get dusty. you should open up the side and blow it out with the canned air for electronics cleaning every once in awhile.

a positive pressure system with fan filters can definitely help with dust intake, however, cooling performance is less than a filterless negative pressure design with a good airflow design.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2012 8:38:13 PM

If you already have fans, or if you wanna pick up 1 or 2 (they are surprisingly relatively cheap), play around and see what results you get with them. If you have a negative solution and can move to positive pressure without affecting your temps, it will help keep the case less dusty. That was my motivation for going positive, and I also had purchased a nice set of custom designed filters for my case. They get dusty fast but it also shows me how much I am keeping out of the case.
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:21:24 AM

Is positive more fans blowing out or more blowing in also where can I get this metal mesh does it have to be a specific kind or anything like that to allow the case to breath, thanks.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 4, 2012 2:42:41 PM

Well, positive pressure is achieved by more fans blowing in than out, creating more pressure in the case that pushes air out. You can look up online to find some simple filter material, otherwise I ordered a custom made set for my case from www.demcifilter.com/ , high quality magnetic filters for a good price. They are out of South Africa but their contact is very helpful and responsive, I received the filters in much less time than I expected it to! They also seem pretty quality to me, they fill up with dust damn fast.
m
l
October 13, 2012 3:57:05 PM

Best answer selected by spencer-a-farias.
m
l
!