Display problems

maddmic

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
i recently purchased an older Dell Optiplex 320 with the intention of using it as a budget friendly (and quiet) media center.

my television only has a vga input that is paired with an audio input from the PC.

my issue is that the graphics card (i cannot remember the specs on it, but i believe it's irrelavent currently) does not display properly using a vga connector. this card is an SFF card with a dms59 connector. i first plugged in the dual DVI adapter and it works flawlessly. i then plugged in a DVI to VGA adapter and i lost (what i believe to be) the red signal as everything onscreen is tinted green. i tried another DVI to VGA adapter and received the same results. i then connected my monitor to the machine using the same VGA adapters and i get the same result.

i then acquired a dual VGA DMS59 adapter and am getting the same results. as i am not all that savvy with video pin-outs, i am curious if anybody might have a clue as to why this is happening. i am having a problem believing that two DVI to VGA adapters and a DMS59 to dual VGA adapter are all "broken". also, since there is a DMS59 to dual VGA adapter, i'm sure that the card is capable of using the older technology.

so, unless somebody has some opinions or thoughts on this, i'm thinking about one of two things.
1. getting another SFF card
2. getting a DVI to HDMI cable that will transport audio from a 3.5mm plug over the HDMI cable (do they even make such a thing?

thanks in advance!

festerovic

Distinguished
he DMS-59 connector is used by ATI, NVIDIA, and Matrox for video cards sold in Lenovo Thinkcentres, Viglen Genies and Omninos, Dell, HP, and Sun computers. Some confusion has been caused by the fact that vendors label cards with DMS-59 as "supports DVI", but the cards have no DVI connectors built-in. Such cards, when equipped with only a VGA connector adapter cable, cannot be connected to a monitor with only a DVI-D input. A DMS-59 to DVI adapter cable needs to be used with such monitors.

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-91004085-T-DMS-59-Dual-Adapter/dp/B00023DRJ6

maddmic

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

thank you.

i do have a DMS59 to DVI cable and a DMS59 to VGA cable. my issue is that the DMS59 to DVI cable wors fine, but when i use the DMS59 to VGA, i only get blue and yellow, no red to the monitor. if i use the DMS59 to DVI and a DVI to VGA adapter, i get the same thing, no red and only blue and yellow (thus my monitor is green).

i have the correct adapters, i'm just trying to figure out why the DVI connector would work, but the VGA connector and adapters that i've tried (3 in all) don't work.

festerovic

Distinguished
Ok i understand you now. In my experience, when a DVI to VGA adapter fails due to the whole digital or analog thing (this is why a HDMI to DVI, then use a DVI to VGA converter doesnt work) there is no output at all. If you are getting any of the signals, it means that the signal is output as analog as well as digital, which means it should work. Now, with a few colors missing, this is most likely caused by bad cables or a bad connection in the adapter. You say the problem persists with the DMS59 to DVI, then using a VGA adapter. You are right, I don't believe you could have 3 fails from adapters, so let me ask this: Have you tried the same monitors, using VGA ports, on another machine? Perhaps the VGA connections on the monitor are damaged.

maddmic

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

yes, i used one monitor that has both DVI and VGA. DVI looks fine, VGA is green. my television is the other VGA that I tried and that looks green as well.

some people have asked if i've checked the drivers and i know they're up to date. i suppose i could look to see if there's any specific VGA drivers that wouldn't have been included in the main release.

thanks for the link. holy cow that's expensive. lol

festerovic

Distinguished
yes its $ but they make similar products for cheaper, you just have to shop around. That was for reference so you know they exist and what to look for.

Looks like you might try a new card, I can't think of any other solutions than that.