Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Abnormal temps on newly bought Zotac 670 AMP! ??

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Zotac
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
August 12, 2012 11:16:44 PM

I think I'm experiencing pretty high temps on my newly bought Zotac 670 AMP! card.
My whole system is running on stock settings including CPU, GPU, RAM, etc...& no change has been made to fans or anything. No OC'ing as well.

I just got this new gaming rig 2 days back! My config is in my sig.
So I installed the Win 7 64bit disc & ran Furmark to find that my temps shooted high instantly to 85C after about 2 minutes into the "Burn in benchmark 1920X1080, 15min" with AA set at 4x. Settings are set at default.

Anyway, I noticed the temps went upto 84-85C in about 2 mins or so into the benchmark & stayed there all the way through & never went any high above 85C, ever!

No windows updates, service packs or any fix has been installed thus far as I just wanted to make sure that my system is fully stable & working fine. The GPU Driver version is 301.42. I have installed all the latest divers off the net for the hardware in my system including cpu, gpu, sound, lan, etc.... I also have dotnetfx 4.0 & vcredist (64 & 32 bit) installed but no security & update fix from windows update have been applied yet!

Could I have a faulty card??? I just bought it new 2 days back along with the rest of my rig!!

Plz help, how can I make sure my card is faulty or not?? What tests do I run?
Is there anyway to know for sure?
Plz help :( 

More about : abnormal temps newly bought zotac 670 amp

August 12, 2012 11:22:27 PM

I'm pretty sure 85c is still acceptable with a GPU, as long as you don't go above 90c. Plus benchmarks really take your GPU to an unrealistic level. Try some actual gaming with some graphic intense games (BF3, Skyrim, Metro 2033, Aliens vs Predator, Max Payne 3 etc.) and see how you do there, that's really the only way you can tell. In my opinion nothings wrong!
Score
August 12, 2012 11:33:45 PM

yeah i know but THIS card's got a heavy duty aftermarket cooler & that's the reason why i bought it in the first place!

Which utility do i use to see temps in game ??? i'm using zotac card
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 888 Î Nvidia
August 12, 2012 11:46:50 PM

The Zotac AMP! is the highest factory overclocked 670, which means the highest heat output. 85c is no problem and not unusual considering it's the middle of the hottest summer on record.

Use Afterburner to check temps.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.2.3-download-...
Score
August 12, 2012 11:49:54 PM

17seconds said:
The Zotac AMP! is the highest factory overclocked 670, which means the highest heat output. 85c is no problem and not unusual considering it's the middle of the hottest summer on record.

Use Afterburner to check temps.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.2.3-download-...

Where i live it's winter & it's cold as S**T in here
Score
August 13, 2012 1:27:06 AM

17seconds said:
I actually do think you're a little high, with your GPU temperatures that is. In the reviews I'm looking at it's staying around 70c. Check your airflow.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...

GPU-Z 0.6.4 shows the card idling at a constant 38C on desktop & i ran crysis 2 @ extreme gfx settings without dx11 & hd res texture pack, got 75C about steady on full load & never got above that! Always stayed 75C throughout & played it for about 10 mins.

Used MSI afterburner link that u gave
Score
August 13, 2012 1:34:38 AM

oh btw i got the NZXT Lexa S & the stock fans that came with it at full speed all the way! It's hooked to the stock nzxt fan controller that comes with Lexa s
Score
August 13, 2012 1:44:00 AM

Well 75 degrees seems normal, my 670 also gets that hot when playing games and it's winter here too and around 20 degree room temp.

If it goes above 80 degrees in any game I would start thinking, but as people have said, it's the most OC 670 there is and therefore will be pretty hot.
Score
August 13, 2012 1:45:39 AM

ok! thanks!
But what about the reviews?
I watched several reviews & all of them say it never touches above 70C...

Would you guys suggest i ramp up the fan speed a bit??? It only went to 45% fan speed @ 75C in Crysis 2 as shown in msi afterburner!
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 13, 2012 2:16:54 AM

WILDLEGHORN said:
ok! thanks!
But what about the reviews?
I watched several reviews & all of them say it never touches above 70C...

Would you guys suggest i ramp up the fan speed a bit??? It only went to 45% fan speed @ 75C in Crysis 2 as shown in msi afterburner!

yeah, increase and create a custom fan profile(as long as you dont mind fan noise in exchange for a cooler card)
Score
August 13, 2012 2:26:42 AM

dudewitbow said:
yeah, increase and create a custom fan profile(as long as you dont mind fan noise in exchange for a cooler card)

Hmm...interesting i increased the fan speed manually with afterburner to 75% & there was hardly any change in temps! I heard the fan's spinning loudly..it was very audible but no change in temps??? It remained at 75C constant on full load in crysis 2

What gives?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 13, 2012 2:29:15 AM

remove the card and check if the heatsink is properly attached to the card.
Score
August 13, 2012 2:31:18 AM

i removed it from the pci ex slot, but how do i check if it's heatsink is installed properly or not?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
August 13, 2012 3:18:24 AM

I cant say for sure as it may differ from card to card, but apply a bit of pressure on where the actual chip is located on the gpu. and see if it feels loose or not.
Score
August 13, 2012 3:24:54 AM

dudewitbow said:
I cant say for sure as it may differ from card to card, but apply a bit of pressure on where the actual chip is located on the gpu. and see if it feels loose or not.

Alright, gonna try doing that! Let's see...

u might be right, both these pages say they got a card whose cooler's weren't seated properly-

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_67...

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/GeForce-GTX-680-RoundUp-...

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to proceed correctly if I wanted to manually re-seat the cooler properly onto the card?

I'm pretty confident I can do it if required, but someone with prior experience might help immensely!!
Score

Best solution

a c 888 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2012 5:38:44 AM

Like the review says take the screw out and put in a non-conducting washer.
August 13, 2012 6:24:47 AM

I took the GPU out of the system but didn't really find anything wrong/out of the ordinary with the card! I looked pretty carefully at the screws & the card itself; they seem pretty well fit but i could easily be wrong.

Anyways I ran the exact same "Burn in benchmark 1920X1080, 15min" like always with furmark with the case's side panel open & this time i only got to 80C max after the whole 15min test was complete.
Score
August 13, 2012 2:56:30 PM

Dosen't the AMP have a twin-fan cooler like the Gigabyte? I have the Gigabyte 670 and mine idles @ 30-32c and loads @ 65c with a 150mhz oc...same as the amp...so yours is running hot..
Score
August 14, 2012 8:37:25 AM

Sorry I couldn't read & reply, been very busy these days :( 

Does anyone have any clue on which model/brand/type screwdriver i need to buy to open the cooler of the Zotac 670 Amp ??
I tried all the screwdrivers in my home & none of them fit the size.

People I need input on what type of screwdriver to get from the store!!!
I'm sure I can do it, I have quite good experiences with PC hardware but need to know what screwdriver model/brand/sizing/type to get for this particular job?

PLEASE REPLY!!!! :(  :( 
Score
a c 888 Î Nvidia
August 14, 2012 3:59:27 PM

Really just any small screwdriver, but do made sure it fits. You don't want to strip the socket.
Score
August 17, 2012 6:32:09 AM

Ok everything is fixed now : )

I took out the cooler using a screwdriver, applied fresh thermal paste & screwed the 4 screws back in to put the cooler back together with 2 metal washers in between every screw (total of 8 metal washers used) just to make it even more tight!

Everything is perfectly fine & dandy now! Never touched above 65C on full load in some of the most demanding of games running for a few hours : )

Thanks Everyone!!
Score
August 17, 2012 6:33:14 AM

Best answer selected by WILDLEGHORN.
Score
a c 888 Î Nvidia
August 17, 2012 3:10:33 PM

Great news!
Score
a c 224 Î Nvidia
August 17, 2012 5:19:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey