Sign in with
Your question

Changing an hp power supply

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2012 9:37:59 PM

I was told by the tech that came out to my house in order to run a sparrow graphics card on my m9300t hp pc that I would have to upgrade the power supply.However he also informed me that you can not upgrade a hp power supply.My question is why not & if I can how do I find out what is compatible?This all stems from the fact the m9300t's were shipped with horrible 9500gs nvidea cards that all had recalls. Any help understanding this mess would be great.I guess the old days of getting a new card and slapping it in are over I don't even understand how to tell the differance in what is or is not compatible with what anymore.

More about : changing power supply

October 3, 2012 9:59:19 PM

I don't know about HP, but for a long time Dell used a power supply with different pinouts on the main motherboard power connector, and attempting to change to an industry standard PSU would blow up the PC and/or power supply.

It's also possible that the power supply is either soldered/built into the case or it's integrated into the system and can't be removed.

It's also possible that the guy just doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd open up the case and have a look for myself if I were you.
m
l
October 3, 2012 10:19:06 PM

HP says it is in the parts dept. anyway but he had to check with support and he never came back.I think I will have a look myself though thinks for the answers.
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2012 10:24:55 PM

Yes it looks to be 4 screws in the back and a bracket on 1 side.Seems to be :) 
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b α HP
October 3, 2012 10:48:21 PM

That is a non SFF case. Using custom power supplies has long since been abandoned. Even SFF cases still has an ATX(connectors) spec power supply just in a different form factor.

HP has become much better at letting you know what is in the PC.

For instance you can see the board here. It conforms to standard the mATX forum factor and uses the standard power connectors as well(24-pin ATX and 4 pin cpu power).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

Now all you have to do is see how much space you have. Some HP power supplies while standard in size are not as deep, so make sure you have some room in that system.

I have swapped out HP power supplies many times without issues.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
October 3, 2012 11:02:55 PM

Nuke is right, it is a standard atx psu. That guy didn't know what he was talking about. Although if you are looking at the 620, it will work on your current 350w psu. Actually a 6570 would be better at that price.
m
l
October 3, 2012 11:05:45 PM

Ty very helpful information tell me what do you guys think of this card and keeping my current power supply?either way I was pleasantly surprised both the card and the psu were very cheap.
m
l
October 5, 2012 1:19:52 PM

k1114 said:
Nuke is right, it is a standard atx psu. That guy didn't know what he was talking about. Although if you are looking at the 620, it will work on your current 350w psu. Actually a 6570 would be better at that price.

Didn't know what I was talking about eh? Search this page for the word DELL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
a b α HP
October 5, 2012 2:11:19 PM

thrasher32 said:
Didn't know what I was talking about eh? Search this page for the word DELL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

I am almost sure the reference was to the tech who told the OP they could not swap out the current power supply.
m
l
October 5, 2012 3:47:20 PM

nukemaster said:
I am almost sure the reference was to the tech who told the OP they could not swap out the current power supply.

Oh..yeah..my bad (face turns red)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b α HP
October 5, 2012 4:43:34 PM

Yes it was about the tech.
m
l
!