Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade or New Build?

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2012 10:23:10 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the time all is appreciated. I am a reborn-again computer lover. Used to run computer for multiple purposes: from web building, picture/video editing, watching movies and surfing web. I know again have been working on refreshing all of my old skills and so going to be needing some computer parts upgrades.

I will be purchasing this week and would prefer Amazon if available for the free 2-day shipping due to Prime Shipping.
I am currently running on a windows 7 intel (r) pentium (r) D CPU 3.GHz 2.99GHz with a 4GB RAM with very few memory used - 64bit OS
I will like to consider overclocking in the future but not necessarily important ATM.
Using a Insignia TV as my monitor with a 1920x1080
I'd like to be able to use this Video Element Editing Software and it requires an upgraded GPU.

I went window shopping crazy and setup a wish list - after some thought i decided i'd ask for some feedback.
Lite-On LightScribe Drive
Corsair Vengeance 240 Pin
AMD Phenom II X4 -4Ghz - 512kb - 4000MHz
GA-970A UD3 AM3 SATA Motherboard
Coller Master Supply 500W
Cooler Master Case

At the end of my searching I realized that maybe I didn't necessarily need a new MotherB and CPU, maybe just spend on the drive, and a VGC as i still didn't have one on the list. I have about $300 to play with right now so i'd like to get the most important first. So here's where I could use some advice on...
I'm not sure what kind of motherboard I have, nor CPU but looking on the computer's built in system ratings (out of 7.9):
Processor: 4.7
RAM: 4.9
Graphics: 2.9
Gaming Graphics: 3.2
Primary HDD: 5.2

As I have an intel processor I was thinking I might be spending more than I had to by buying a new mother board and cpu while i could spend it on the more immediately helpful components which would bring my editing to further use. I realized my list is completely pointing towards building a new computer and just scrap the old parts. However, maybe I could keep the current computer and just upgrade as I gain more cash readily... So what would you guys recommend. The computer case is extra at this point so obviously I want to buy the more immediately helpful hardware first and then the rest.

Also I was wondering about the AMD Phenom II - I was really sold on it and was beginning to think that if I got the CPU that I wouldn't need to purchase the VGC for the editing that I needed. Again very thankful for your time. :sol: 

More about : upgrade build

October 4, 2012 3:20:32 AM

Well if you get that phenom you will need to get a new system. You could just get a new gpu like a 7870 or 7950.
m
l
October 4, 2012 5:02:33 AM

What is your budget. That will dictate if you can swing a new build or not.
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 5:10:01 AM

You are running a Pentium D Processor, you will have to change the motherboard if you want to upgrade. That socket has been long dead. The rest of the components will have to go as well, that would be using DDR2 RAM, IDE HDD and optical, chances are insufficient (and old) PSU.
At this point you would be better off just building a whole new rig instead of trying to upgrade this one.

For video editing performance, the CPU is a much larger factor in performance than the GPU. A good graphics card can help due to things like CUDA and GPGPU, but a strong CPU is much more important.

And why upgrade to a Phenom II? While it is a good chip, it would be pointless as it is already 2yrs behind current technology.
m
l
October 4, 2012 5:27:17 AM

His first post says he has around $300 to spare. :p 

Do not get Cooler Master PSUs, they're infamous for being unreliable.
m
l
October 4, 2012 5:31:03 AM

I think you should get a motherboard and CPU upgrade. Even the new Ivy Bridge i3s will be worlds ahead of your Pentium D
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:12:34 AM

Ahh thank you all for the replies, i can tell how much i'm lagging on the updated world according to them lol...
Ok so I am moving back towards my original thoughts, just creating a new system.
What motherboard and cpu would you guys recommend, I'm looking for decent cash well spent? I'm looking for a modest purchase while still gaining something that will keep me happy for some more years. Again I will be able to spend more later but ATM about 300 anywhere around is fine so a package to get me up and running.
m
l

Best solution

October 4, 2012 7:42:50 AM

So a system that will allow easy upgradability, to serve as an intermediary till you can afford a decent machine. I'm guessing your fine with not having of the more enthusiast features like overclocking.

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225. $145
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Low end Ivy i3, this particular one since it has HD4000 graphics. While its nowhere near as good as a graphics card or an A10 APU, its the best integrated your going to get from Intel.

Mobo: AsRock H77 Pro4. $80
Fairly low end board, but will do the job. Will support higher end i5/i7 CPU's, just don't one with a "k' on the end.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz CL9 1.5v. $40
8GB of DDR3 RAM, nothing much to say about this.

XFX Core 550W, 80+ Bronze non-modular. $75 ($10 rebate)
New PSU is going to be needed, your old one I wouldn't trust given its probable age and possibly being low quality in the first place. This will hold any single graphics card just fine.

Total: $340
That is an easily upgradable core of a system. Though there might be more expenses, for instance Windows and SATA Hard Drives and opticals.
If you can struggle along with your old system until you can afford to buy a new rig outright, I suggest doing that. You will save money in the long run and likely end up with a more powerful machine.
October 4, 2012 8:26:52 AM

Its not ez, ez. at that price... but here we go:

Starting a Thermaltake V4 with PSU ~$80
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PG2X4G/ref=ox_sc_a...
A new SATA DVD drive: ~$19
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057FRTPW/ref=ox_sc_a...
A 500gb hdd 5900rpm sata ~$61
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084ZKISC/ref=ox_sc_a...
Your choosen cpu ~$105
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SRQ214/ref=ox_sc_a...
Motherboard ~$80
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073JYZ48/ref=ox_sc_a...
With a optional HD6770 at ~$100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FVNFIS/ref=ox_sc_a...

Total without graphic card: ~$381.00 + postage
With: ~$481.00 + postage

Thats all new parts remember but using your old OS key.
m
l
October 4, 2012 6:39:11 PM

Thanks for the replies have thought it over and have decided to upgrade to a more updated CPU and Mobo so will go with the Intel Core i3-3225
Could you tell me if this is the same Mobo. Found $10 cheaper.. every penny counts :p 

Yeah I was planning on staying on the old system until have the new build completed. Which way would you say would be the least expensive while still powerful way to achieve what I'd like? If i want a fast, multi-tasking, graphical computer. I will mostlikely get a 1.5TB HDD, already pretty sold on the computer case I chose unless you can find me as much space with the price right and good build, I like the XFC SPU and the G.Skill RipJaws.
Also will I be able to read CDs, burn CDs & Dvds on this SATA DVD Drive?
And I will have a new windows 7 ready.
m
l
October 4, 2012 11:35:56 PM

On the graphics side I'm looking at EVGA GeForce GTX 660 & the 660ti.. the only difference is CUDA Cores: 1344 to 960 - i'm thinking $70 cheaper and still get what i need. Also comparing the 660 to XFX HD 7870 and a third Asus HD7850-DC2 and the fourth - the one captainkall posted PowerColor ATI Radeon HD6770 which do you guys think would be the better buy?

Also I found this PSU OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W - $50 AR
or
Diablotek DA Series 600 watt ATX $34 has 2 80mm fans and cheaper should i just go with that?

So far the computer is looking like this:
CPU: Intel Core i3-3225. $145
Mobo: AsRock H77 Pro4. $80
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz CL9 1.5v. $40 / Corsair Vengeance what's the difference?
Waiting to hear what you guys think about the graphics cards. Thanks 8-)

Edit: Was just taking a gander over at CL and saw this post for a system for $475 what do you guys think about this purchase to getting everything in a bundle? Or continue with what I got working as I am still happy with I am working on.
There's also one other post that one has a whole computer system -HDD for $300. I'm leaning towards this second post as a quick upgrade and then in time update the parts.
m
l
October 5, 2012 1:16:11 AM

The 7870 GHz outperforms the 660, and is on par with the 660Ti.
Get this instead. Very cheap if you don't mind rebates.
Alternatives would be:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00883VAUK/?tag=pcpapi-20

Both PSUs are bad. I used to suggest the ModXStream, but I realized they use 2 +12v rails, and I prefer single rail.
Get this for a 550w, has a good 44amps on the +12v rail.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...

If you're gonna SLI/Crossfire, get this so you won't need a PSU upgrade. Both have 62amps on the +12v rail.
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W(has a $20 discount promo, bringing it down to $69.99 after rebates, very good deal for this kind of manufacturer)
XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition

Both the Ripjaws and Corsair Vengeance have tall heat fins, which will give you a hard time installing CPU Coolers, and sometimes it won't allow the installation at all, you'll have to move the RAM modules to the far slots.
I suggest getting either the G.Skill Ares or Corsair Vengeance Low Profile.

I would always suggest building your own instead of buying pre-builts. There's always added costs.
m
l
October 5, 2012 2:14:08 AM

+1 for excella. I would definitely go with the 7850 HAWK. Everything else he said is spot on.
m
l
October 5, 2012 2:25:23 AM

Thanks, it's she* though. :p 
m
l
October 5, 2012 2:36:30 AM

excella1221 said:
Thanks, it's she* though. :p 

My bad. Most people on here happen to be male.
m
l
October 5, 2012 3:09:14 AM

That mobo is the AsRock H77M. Its smaller than the Pro4 I recommended above and so has only two RAM slots, less SATA ports and fewer PCI-E slots. I would stick with the Pro4 unless you need the Micro-ATX size.

All comes down to how large your budget is. But for video editing on a less than an ~$800 budget, I recommend an FX-8150, 970 motherboard, 16GB of RAM and a 7750 to act as a video out. Thats what I would suggest if you could afford to build a machine outright.

HD7870 over a GTX660. The level above that is a fairly close match between the HD7950 and 660Ti, will have to do some research before you decide.
Given that from what you have told us, this is purely a video editing rig. I wouldn't even bother getting a good graphics card, the CPU is far more important.

The OCZ is average, will work and not blow up but dont expect anything amazing from it. That DIABLOTEK will give you a nice fireworks show, but don't expect much to happen after that :lol: .
Go with the XFX 550W that Excella and I recommended.

First one would be considerable if they included any details about the components. Only thing they do is the graphics card, a piddly 9800GT (mid-range card from 2008, actually a re-branded 8800GT from 2007).
Second one wouldn't bother with, old and low end components that would all have to be replaced.

At your budget and usage, Crossfire/SLI is a waste.

m
l
October 5, 2012 5:43:10 AM

Gotcha you guys are badass, appreciate all the corrections and advice...
Here's what I got:
Cool Master Case - $32 AR
1.5TB Seagate Barr. - $103
Lite-on Dual Layer Drive - $23
G.Skill Ares Series 8GB - $35 (40 -5off promo)
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge - $145
ASRock H77 Pro4 - $80
XFX 550W Pro - $50 AR
And I did like the suggested HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 Video Card

As for the graphics - I'm planning on using a 3D Element for editing videos and so i believe I still need a card for it to function properly? Check me on this, would the CPU alone be able to handle this? Or what would be a decent quality without going over $200?
GRAPHICS CARD REQUIREMENTS:
• Nvidia & ATI, minimum 512MBs of memory.
• Nvidia GeForce 8800, &9000 Series
• Nvidia GeForce 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 Series
• Nvidia Quadro FX Series 4000 and better.
• ATI 3870 and better on Windows
Supported GPU List
Also will the cables come with all these components because it just hit me, should I be looking for them separately too?
m
l
October 5, 2012 6:00:33 AM

The mobo usually comes with two or three SATA cables. They will be enough to connect the optical and HDD.
All other cables and screws needed will come with the components, don't have to worry about that.

It seems that any modern card would be able to handle it. Given your budget is so low though, I wouldn't suggest more than the HD7770.

Also, should mention this. The Core i3 is not going to give you great performance (will be better then your Pentium D though) in video rendering, editing and such. Its only supposed to be functional until you can afford to replace it with something like an i7, which is much more oriented toward this sort of task.
m
l
October 5, 2012 6:56:53 AM

Will do, also was wondering about HDMI cables is there a difference between Ultra HDMI and Monster Blu-Ray cause if not i'll just go with the cheaper one.
m
l
October 5, 2012 6:58:04 AM

Best answer selected by itsEz.
m
l
October 5, 2012 7:06:44 AM

HDMI uses a digital signal, the quality of the cable wont affect the quality of the image. Only exception is if you were running over a long distance.
If you were using VGA, a better cable helps quality as its an analog signal.
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:40:12 PM

Yeah I wanted to be sure, I figured it would just be more marketing than necessary when it came the HDMIs. Yall were very helpful with everything, i'll be staying at these forums.
m
l
!