Solved

Help me buy a $1000 gaming pc

Hi guys! I just joined and have been reading around and this seems to be an amazing place to learn.
That being said I am looking to spend $1000 on a gaming pc. But i can go higher if i feel necessary.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the month I hope

Budget Range: $1000 could go around $100 higher (after shipping and rebates)

System Usage: Gaming, Surfing the web

Are you buying a monitor: No (I currently have an Asus VH232)

Do you need to buy OS: I assume so

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg,amazon. Other well respected US sellers. I do live near a micro center :)

Location:= St. Louis Missouri

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: =Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I like lights. But not necessary.

This is a first build. I have a decent laptop but that won't work for good games.
I definitely want to play GTA IV, ARMA II, Counter Strike(GO) (and garrys mod etc)
I also make youtube videos of games using Fraps(currently use external hard drive(1TB) for recording.)
With this new pc I may venture into more "graphically enhanced" games if you will.

I will probably need a mouse and keyboard, This will NOT factor into my budget, but i don't need anything extravagant.

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. And sorry if I'm a bit noobish.

Oh and I just whipped this up.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jhiQ
44 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help 1000 gaming
  1. Best answer
    Here my recommendation

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($242.86 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $952.63
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  2. You can do way better than that for $1K as all of that hardware you chose has been outdated and/or discontinued for a while now. The 2700K isn't really worth anything anymore, and there are way better GPUs you can get than the 560TI.

    Try this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($99.64 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1037.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    If you need OS I can adjust accordingly but everything here is new and very good.
  3. Wow thanks guys for the fast response! I will be reviewing these and see what I think.
    Looks like I can save some good money going to micro center for the CPU
  4. +1 to bigcyco1 build. Only thing is I would invest a little more in the GPU, especially if you like your games graphically maxed out at a high framerate. GTX 670 or AMD 7950. The 670 has better driver support, Physx, & 3d. The 7950 is the better bang for the buck @ about $100 less than the 670 and overclocks just as high or higher in some games.
  5. Swolern said:
    +1 to bigcyco1 build. Only thing is I would invest a little more in the GPU, especially if you like your games graphically maxed out at a high framerate. GTX 670 or AMD 7950. The 670 has better driver support, Physx, & 3d. The 7950 is the better bang for the buck @ about $100 less than the 670 and overclocks just as high or higher in some games.


    This may be a noob question but There are a lot of gtx 670's and 7950's is it just the different brands?
  6. Swolern said:
    +1 to bigcyco1 build. Only thing is I would invest a little more in the GPU, especially if you like your games graphically maxed out at a high framerate. GTX 670 or AMD 7950. The 670 has better driver support, Physx, & 3d. The 7950 is the better bang for the buck @ about $100 less than the 670 and overclocks just as high or higher in some games.


    Catalyst 12.7 improves on the existing drives in every way shape and form, I don't know what you are talking about. AMD doesn't screw around with their GPUs.
  7. Axe08 said:
    This may be a noob question but There are a lot of gtx 670's and 7950's is it just the different brands?


    Correct. 2 competative brands in Graphics cards. Nvidia & AMD. Some people are pretty dramatic in which card they prefer, like g-unit over here.

    @ g-unit, please dont be a fanboy. I own both AMD & Nvidia cards. Gtx 670 & a 7870. Like I said you will get more performance for the $$$ with AMD 7000 cards. But it is a well known fact Nvidia has had better driver support than AMD for a while now. Nvidia just has less compatability issues with games than Nvidia, that's a fact. I applaud AMD for their 12.7 drivers and hopefully this trend of great GPU support will continue to be the norm for AMD.
  8. Swolern said:
    Correct. 2 competative brands in Graphics cards. Nvidia & AMD. Some people are pretty dramatic in which card they prefer, like g-unit over here.

    @ g-unit, please dont be a fanboy. I own both AMD & Nvidia cards. Gtx 670 & a 7870. Like I said you will get more performance for the $$$ with AMD 7000 cards. But it is a well known fact Nvidia has had better driver support than AMD for a while now. Nvidia just has less compatability issues with games than Nvidia, that's a fact. I applaud AMD for their 12.7 drivers and hopefully this trend of great GPU support will continue to be the norm for AMD.


    Who said I'm a fanboy? Most of the benchmarks prove what I'm saying. I recommend NVIDIA cards if they offer good bang for buck, but lately that hasn't been proven to be the case. I can definitely post some benchmarks if you want me to prove it.

    I'm actually having a hard time deciding between getting a second 7870 to Crossfire, or get a GTX 660TI so I can alternate between the two for games that run better on NVIDIA cards.
  9. Axe08 said:


    You may have a hard time fitting that Gigabyte card into some cases but otherwise either one is a good choice.
  10. ya i see. Right now im leaning toward the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950.
    I am pretty much sold on the cpu.
    The case i am debating between the two suggestions above.
    I am not sure about the power supply thought
  11. So this is the lineup I am tenitivly set with


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $944.45
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  12. Axe08 said:
    So this is the lineup I am tenitivly set with


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $944.45
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    You won't find a better CPU than the 3570K right now unless you use the 3930K but that really isn't meant for gaming. But that looks good to me
  13. Since you want to make videos and such, I suggest you stick with the i7
  14. are there any mice and or keyboards that are hands down the best?
  15. If you are in a tight budget this one is best. It's better than many $50 mice
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146009
  16. songorocosongo said:
    Since you want to make videos and such, I suggest you stick with the i7


    I kind of agree the pinnacle of video editing/rendering would better quite better on a i7 mainly because of the hyperthreading that the i7's have and the i5's do not. But if you were looking for a decent cpu to do a mix of them both I think the 3570 could still do a decent job but not at the same level as a i7 certainly not.
  17. bigshootr8 said:
    I kind of agree the pinnacle of video editing/rendering would better quite better on a i7 mainly because of the hyperthreading that the i7's have and the i5's do not. But if you were looking for a decent cpu to do a mix of them both I think the 3570 could still do a decent job but not at the same level as a i7 certainly not.
    I agree that the i7 is better for video editing/rending and photoshop gimp type work elect though on your budget i didn't think it fit the bill
  18. Lol sorry reply to wrong person i am in to many threads right now my bad
  19. Ok so with the videos I will be making an I7 would be more useful correct?
    If so I can get some good deals at micro-center.
    http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=Intel+Core+I7&N=4294964566+4294966995+40
    Any ideas?
  20. bump...
  21. If you were to get something like a 2700k I think that would be awesome if you are not hard pressed on funds. Any of the i7's relaly are good as long as they fit your bill like others have said.

    i5 has 4 cores
    i7 has 4 cores + 4 hyperthreaded cores = more of a advantage to things like rendering/editing.
  22. Axe08 said:
    Ok so with the videos I will be making an I7 would be more useful correct?
    If so I can get some good deals at micro-center.
    http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=Intel+Core+I7&N=4294964566+4294966995+40
    Any ideas?



    If you live close to a Microcenter you are in luck. They have the best deals on the 3570 & 3770 out right now(in store only).
    3570k $189
    3770k $289
    + you get $50 off any Z77 motherboard you pick up with that also. Add that $50 off to a board that is already on sale and you could come away with a hell of a deal!

    The rest of the components Newegg (with no tax & free ship) usually has the best deals.

    I would stick with the 3570k. It doesnt sound like you are going to be doing any high-end video editing(if you are then go with 3770k). If mainly for gaming get the 3570k & spend as much as you can for a great GPU, because that is one of the most important components for a gaming PC to be able to game with maxed out, mouth watering graphics.
  23. http://www.microcenter.com/product/354589/Core_i5_2500K_33GHz_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor
    Core i5 2500K - $160

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330
    ASRock Z77 Extreme3 - $120

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9 - $42

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB - $85

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136247
    LG GH24NS90 - $17

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - $70

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139016
    Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed - $80

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150616
    XFX Double D FX-795A-TDJC - $270

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 - $20


    total after rebate excluding shipping - $864


    you don't have to get the latest to get decent performance for your money.. instead.. look at good deals such as 2500k and z68 chipset.. maybe it is outdated for some people but not in terms of performance.. save all these money and buy a good gpu because it is where that matters the most when it comes to gaming.. i don't see you include an ssd in your build.. if you willing to spend little more its better to get 1.. you can see the difference when you have 1 as a boot drive compared to conventional hard drive.. and you won't need a 2700k for gaming... a 2500k will be sufficient..

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW - $90
  24. Wow thanks guys looks like i have more parts to look over. I am now leaning toward getting my processor and motherboard at microcenter.
    i5 3570k + ASRok Z77 Extreme4 for only..... $300.91!
    by the way should i really be worried that this is not a boxed processor?
  25. Only If you don't have a cpu cooler :P I don't know what the manufactures warranty is on OEM cpu's is either.
  26. ok thanks.
    oh ya what about internet. What do most people do? I wont be able to hardwire it.
  27. phenom90 said:


    you don't have to get the latest to get decent performance for your money.. instead.. look at good deals such as 2500k and z68 chipset.. maybe it is outdated for some people but not in terms of performance.. save all these money and buy a good gpu because it is where that matters the most when it comes to gaming.. i don't see you include an ssd in your build.. if you willing to spend little more its better to get 1.. you can see the difference when you have 1 as a boot drive compared to conventional hard drive.. and you won't need a 2700k for gaming... a 2500k will be sufficient..

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW - $90


    Are you suggesting swap out the conventional hd for the ssd one?
  28. more likely then not you will need the space so a conventional HDD would probably be the best at least. And if you decide you want a SSD use it as a boot drive where your OS goes or maybe something large enough for a few games.
  29. ok i will just stay with the conventional hd.
    Also I am now going to try and get all my stuff at microcenter because i may try and get all this tomorrow.

    This is what i got so far. Feel free to comment.
    intel i5 3570k -$189.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388577

    ASRock Z77 extreme 4 -$84.99(after sale/promo)
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387554

    Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 -$319.99(after $20 rebate)
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0384118

    Corsair Vengeance 8gb- $44.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0359910

    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7,200 RPM -$84.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0334293

    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler $29.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373900

    ASUS 24x Internal DVDRW SATA Writer -$29.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=03551594

    Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600W ATX -$49.99 (after $20 rebate)
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0317298

    Now i just need a case. Any ideas?

    But i am looking to bring the price down a bit.
    Right now i am at $957.42 after tax but before rebates. B
    Anything anyone can recommend i change?
    I am set on the cpu and the motherboard. And i guess the graphics card.

    Edit:
    Wow i don't know what to do now. i might have to mix online and offline because I could save a lot of money buying some stuff online. I might just get the Mobo and cpu at microcenter. and the rest online.
    If anyone sees something they think i should get anything else at microcenter let me know
  30. Anyone have experience with cooler master power supplies I get nervous when I see someone spending so little on a power supply. I'm just asking if the quality is good. Maybe invest in this instead corsair makes dependable supplies.

    http://microcenter.com/product/399983/Builder_Series_CX600_600_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply
  31. Only the silent pro are reliable the rest are not i highly recommend you don't buy cooler master branded power supply!
  32. Tier 4 - Not Recommend for stressful situations. May not be able to put out full rated power above room temperature, and may slightly fail to meet ATX specs. Cooler Master eXtreme (only use 75% of labeled wattage) http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/ShowThread.aspx#323050
  33. bigcyco1 said:
    Tier 4 - Not Recommend for stressful situations. May not be able to put out full rated power above room temperature, and may slightly fail to meet ATX specs. Cooler Master eXtreme (only use 75% of labeled wattage) http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/ShowThread.aspx#323050


    Well thats a game changer.
    Im \getting the corsair lol.
    Im also probably gonna get the OCZ ssd 128 gb. that thing is a beast.
    But now im up to $1,072 but it seems worth it.
  34. Axe08 said:
    Well thats a game changer.
    Im \getting the corsair lol.
    Im also probably gonna get the OCZ ssd 128 gb. that thing is a beast.
    But now im up to $1,072 but it seems worth it.
    Yep i agree ;)
  35. now time to convince my dad to let me dip into my grandmas inheritance lol
  36. lol
  37. What do you think of the corsair vengeance i chose?
  38. I think it's good and look cool but i don't use it i prefer G.SKILL Sniper i am not sure if the ram you picked is compatible with your aftermarket cpu cooler though.
  39. ok guys i think...i have it.
    Thanks to all you guys. You have helped greatly

    I am getting the cpu and mobo at microcenter for $300

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($122.62 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($81.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($92.28 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1041.79
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  40. Best answer selected by Axe08.
  41. Your build looks good to me bud enjoy! :hello:
  42. Axe08 said:
    Are you suggesting swap out the conventional hd for the ssd one?



    no... use an ssd as your boot drive and conventional hdd for storing large files...
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product