Video Cables for GTX680

I got a system built with a GTX 680 and used a HDMI cable, but the computer did not load. The maker says it is my HDMI cable. I am using a Asus ML249H monitor. The seller told me my video cables were the wrong ones but would not tell me what I needed. Can some give me some technical advice to answer this seller\'s comments that try to blame the customer. Are there special cables needed for the 680 or can I use the HDMI?
11 answers Last reply
More about video cables gtx680
  1. There are several Asus models with the 249 designation. Maybe you can narrow it down a bit more. Either way, Unless you have a defective HDMI cable, any good quality cable should work. But be sure your monitor is selected to HDMI and not one of the other inputs, like DVI.

Is this the first time you've tried to use your system? Or did you just change cards?
  2. ML249 and I have used my cable on several other monitors as well. Thank you for the response.
  3. gnathology said:
    ML249 and I have used my cable on several other monitors as well. Thank you for the response.

This one? http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/ML249H/
    If so, I was going to suggest trying a DVI connection from card to display instead of HDMI. But I see that model has no DVI input port. You'd have to use an adaptor... or a HDMI to DVI cable.
    Btw, you did remember to connect your PCIe power cables to the card, right? What size PSU are you using (make/model)?
  4. I used what they recommended, which was a HX1050 watt cosair and is connected bc the fan runs on the GPU.
  5. clutchc said:
    This one? http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/ML249H/
    If so, I was going to suggest trying a DVI connection from card to display instead of HDMI. But I see that model has no DVI input port. You'd have to use an adaptor... or a HDMI to DVI cable.
    Btw, you did remember to connect your PCIe power cables to the card, right? What size PSU are you using (make/model)?

That is the correct monitor and I used the cables you described, which came with the monitor on the GPU card. The seller built the computer for me and told me those cables would not work. Here is the quote:

"Those are not the correct monitor connectors. Those will not work on this machine without changing settings, which you can't do unless you first boot with a monitor that has a standard DVI connection."

He would not say what cable I needed then.
  6. This cable will allow you to use the DVI port on the card and the HDMI input on the monitor, if that is what he meant.
    http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6

What make/model GTX 680 do you have?
  7. clutchc said:
    This cable will allow you to use the DVI port on the card and the HDMI input on the monitor, if that is what he meant.
    http://www.amazon.com/DVI-HDMI-Cable-6ft-Male-Male/dp/B0002CZHN6

What make/model GTX 680 do you have?

That was the cable I had tried to use to no avail. That was one of the cables that came with the monitor.

MODEL
    Brand
    EVGA
    Model
    02G-P4-2680-KR
  8. In that case, why not try a regular HDMI cable? The card has an HDMI port on it.
  9. clutchc said:
    In that case, why not try a regular HDMI cable? The card has an HDMI port on it.

clutchc,

that is what I am trying to say is when I tried that it still wouldn't work and sent him the pictures of the two types of cable we just discussed. Further, when I sent the computer back, he said it booted right; but said he would run another burn test on it. That was over a week ago and the company still has not sent the computer back. Very unhelpful customer service it seems to me.

When I first got it, I was told to use the closest port on the GPU to the motherboard, which was the cable you sent me a link to. That didn't work. So, I tried VGA and HDMI. Here is the set up:

Corsair 650D
    H100 Zero Maintenance Liquid Cooling
    HX1050 PSU
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    GTX680
    Mushkin Chronos 240GB Solid State Drive
    Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB 10000 RPM
    Windows 7 Pro
  10. Well, if you don't have the PC back, there's not much we can for now. I thought you had it in front of you.
  11. clutchc said:
    Well, if you don't have the PC back, there's not much we can for now. I thought you had it in front of you.

My apology, but that why this has been frustrating. I do appreciate your input and hopefully will have back next week.
    Thanks you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Cable HDMI Components